US Politics: A Post-Roe Country

DMC

52 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I have little doubt that the refusal to enter this school had more to do with the fact that these kids were primarily Latino (in Texas) more than "they weren't sure how to respond."

I dunno, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion in a town that's 78% latino.  Stands to reason a majority of the police force is Latino as well, as is their chief.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

ETA: It should also be remembered that, until now, this has been the conservative response; that "good guys with guns" would solve the problem. So yeah, it should be rubbed in their fucking faces that their "good guys" were cowards, inept, or scum.

I've been seeing all this bullshit debate playing out in my town Facebook group, where there is a large contingent of overprivileged libertarian bros and Trumpist chuds.

It started when one of the chuds resurfaced a post from a couple of years ago where someone had advocated to remove school cops (excuse me, "resource officers") from the town high school. Chudly Chuddington said, "Hey don't you feel like an ass now, asking to remove cops from the school?"

Someone pointed out to them that clearly the "good guy with a gun" defense didn't do any good in Uvalde. And the chud response was MOAR COPS.

Whoever observed that right wing dogma has become a psychosis in this country is spot on.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

The whole point is it's not a hostage situation; it never is in these school shooting. Everyone the shooter can reach is dead until they are stopped. So yes, of course the police should breach immediately. Anything else is an absolute disgrace and any police there who refused to act should be charged with negligent homicide.

It doesn't take away from the need to address the underlying issues that fuck-ups should be investigated and punished as well.

The situation as reported is not a bunch of teachers & kids locked away in their classrooms while the shooter stalks the halls. It is reported (and this might change) that he barricaded himself in a classroom full of people. Was everyone in there already dead? Were there more people alive? Where are they? Are they in police line of fire? Those questions will clearly change the mental calculus for anyone involved in a breach scenario. At this point, it seems we don't know the answers to that. 

CNN reported that police entered into "negotiation" with the shooter.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26/us/uvalde-texas-elementary-school-shooting-thursday/index.html

Officers called for more resources and personnel, evacuated students and teachers in other parts of the school, and at some point entered "negotiations" with the suspect, Escalon said. After about an hour, a US Border Patrol tactical team came to the classroom, forced entry and fatally shot the suspect, he said.

Olivarez said Thursday morning the suspect had barricaded himself in the classroom, which was attached to an adjoining room. All of the 21 killed and 17 injured were inside those classrooms, officials have said.

Maybe that is wrong. It is still early. 

I'm not trying to defend the police, because it sounds like they did fuck up huge. But the point is that some guns blazing breach is also likely going to be a bloodbath, and focusing on that is not going to prevent future ones.

17 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

The situation as reported is not a bunch of teachers & kids locked away in their classrooms while the shooter stalks the halls. It is reported (and this might change) that he barricaded himself in a classroom full of people. Was everyone in there already dead? Were there more people alive? Where are they? Are they in police line of fire? Those questions will clearly change the mental calculus for anyone involved in a breach scenario. At this point, it seems we don't know the answers to that. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26/us/uvalde-texas-elementary-school-shooting-thursday/index.html

I'm not trying to defend the police, because it sounds like they did fuck up huge. But the point is that some guns blazing breach is also likely going to be a bloodbath, and focusing on that is not going to prevent future ones.

Police were too busy getting their own kids out of harms way:

https://twitter.com/move2strike/status/1529812042500169730?s=21&t=tOp3cBrD0U-xM-wO7y3C3w

18 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

While preventing other parents from doing the same:

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I agree, Senator. Too bad the most likely outcome is you will soon be able to purchase alcohol, in the State of Texas, at 16 years of age...change Republicans can agree upon.

Key word is "buy." Can confirm I witnessed multiple underage interns getting wasted on the job. I'm not even mad at the girls who got drunk at her booth at the state fair and started talking shit to hecklers. Wish I had thought of that. :P

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Key word is "buy." Can confirm I witnessed multiple underage interns getting wasted on the job. I'm not even mad at the girls who got drunk at her booth at the state fair and started talking shit to hecklers. Wish I had thought of that. :P

Hold on, are you saying you worked for Amy Klobuchar?  Can't believe you don't mention that more.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah, now we learn why he worked for Klobuchar. Drunk 18 y.o. girls. Do we know how they got the booze? I have a theory...

How they got the booze? They told everyone they were buying guns and just took the booze instead, of course...

Archived