Ukraine 15 - Si vis pacem, para bellum

Alarich II

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Huh?  Finkelstein has been controversial literally his entire career.

I mean he didn't aim to be a gadfly, he was trying to be a Princeton academic. 

Clearly that's his personality. But he wasn't a "provocateur" and *not* an academic. I just don't believe that's an accurate accounting of his endeavors. 

2 minutes ago, MeanMrMustard said:

I spent some time at Princeton. The real thing to be jealous of is the IAS

Definitely not jealous of Finkelstein or Princeton, just defending the program's credentials.

1 minute ago, MeanMrMustard said:

I mean he didn't aim to be a gadfly, he was trying to be a Princeton academic. 

As a provocateur and polemicist.

Our First Lady, Michelle Obama, is a Princeton graduate.  Like a whole lotta people, including that very famous racist, F. Scott Fitzgerald, long before her time, because in Woodrow Wilson and Fitzgerald's time, the time of Jim Crow, Princeton was notable -- and still has a lot of it going on -- as Dixie in the North.  It was wild the first time I attended an event there, to have all the servers and staff, African American, and doing it in "southern style", which has always been the case at Princeton, so we were told.

But what the IAS has to do with Russia making war on Ukraine to take it, its people and its stuff for itself, I fail to comprehend.

Just now, Zorral said:

Our First Lady, Michelle Obama, is a Princeton graduate.  Like a whole lotta people, including that very famous racist, F. Scott Fitzgerald, long before her time, because in Woodrow Wilson and Fitzgerald's time, the time of Jim Crow, Princeton was notable -- and still has a lot of it going on -- as Dixie in the North.  It was wild the first time I attended an event there, to have all the servers and staff, African American, and doing it in "southern style", which has always been the case at Princeton, so we were told.

But what the IAS has to do with Russia making war on Ukraine to take it, its people and its stuff for itself, I fail to comprehend.

I'm able to keep multiple thoughts in my head at the same time. My apologies to those confused.

Was this Cottage Club at Princeton? They always did run over-the-top Dixie shtick.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I wish I could've gotten into Princeton, which is one of the best programs in the world. 

Fair enough.

Maybe it was an emotional article for him than a logical one (and he does refer to his parents).  Because you'd expect much better.

1 minute ago, Padraig said:

Maybe it was an emotional article for him than a logical one (and he does refer to his parents).  Because you'd expect much better.

Well as mentioned earlier that was just him answering a question in an interview.  But yeah, his emphasis on 30 million casualties in WWII as his primary argument really highlights he doesn't have much of an argument at all.

1 hour ago, MeanMrMustard said:

Opinions may differ on this--something else to keep in mind. 

Opinions may differ but the facts don't. Keep that in mind.

34 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Fair enough.

You should try transcribing verbal conversation sometime. I think you'll find it an interesting exercise because real time speech really doesn't come out as written work. 

Ever widening circles of distress and grief at what the Russians have destroyed of the world's heritage in Ukraine.

Ukraine: Russia destroys invaluable genetic bank of plants

https://gamingsym.in/ukraine-russia-destroys-invaluable-genetic-bank-of-plants/

The destruction of the Plant Production Institute is a great scientific loss, and bad news for global food security.

In Ukraine, the toll of the Russian offensive continues to grow. In addition to many soldiers, civilians and even animals (see our article) who have already borne the brunt of the conflict, certain important infrastructures have also paid a heavy price. On Monday, the Odessa Journal reported the announcement of the complete destruction of the invaluable National Plant Genebank of Ukraine.

This is a structure that was located in Kharkiv, an area particularly affected by the conflict. According to Serhiy Avramenko, head of the research team attached to the institution, it would be a deliberate attack. According to him, the Russian forces would have targeted the building with a precision that leaves no room for interpretation. A real heartbreak for this scientific safe which had even been spared by the Nazi invasion during the Second World War

“Everything has been reduced to ashes“, laments Avramenko. “Tens of thousands of seed samples! Including old varieties, multi-centenarians, which it is no longer possible to restore. Everything burned“, laments the scientist. ....

So much has been lost forever, that opened the past of all of us, from pre-history to later ages.  Now this too.

8 hours ago, maarsen said:

Opinions may differ but the facts don't. Keep that in mind.

What is this, little Ben Shapiro "facts don't care about your feelings" shtick?

In that case, the facts are Putin is taking the Donbass and there's nothing your feelings or $40b can do about it. 

O

34 minutes ago, MeanMrMustard said:

In that case, the facts are Putin is taking the Donbass and there's nothing your feelings or $40b can do about it. 

Gross.  I'm sure glad we've "heard your case" which ultimately ends in shit talking.

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The whole article is based on the assumption that Ukraine and Ukrainians don't have any business choosing what they want to do with their own lives.

Which is essentially the key point of the Putin apologists in the far left (the ones on the right are usually Trump/Q-anon types): a refusal to recognize agency and independence of the people of Ukraine and other non-Western peoples, in part because of racism, in part because they hate the West/capitalism so much they can't conceive the idea anyone could willingly want to join them, nor would they ever be on the right side even once

Archived