Westworld X: Reloaded for Fourth Season

Myrddin

9 hours ago, Ran said:

I admit it sounds odd. Christine talks explicitly of all sentient life being dead, but... the outliers? Does she not know about them? Or does she just mean within the cities she served as Storyteller for? 

She says some of them may survive for months, even years, in that monologue at the end, but she fully expects they are inevitably doomed.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Humans have been reduced to very small numbers in the past and come back from those numbers.

Yeah, but that was before they had the internet and ubereats. Take humans away from those and they're DOOOMED

Dudes, seriously... didn't anyone learn that host's and AI's judgement is not perfect? we had a prime example on how Charlotte/Dolores failed to understand that they are just a reflection of humans and humans err in their judgements..ALL THE TIME.

Also Bernard failed to see MIB host becoming the MIB true to form, or that Maeve isn't really THAT important so stop running simulations for a thing that's not doing anything.

And let's not forget Dolores for whom it took an entire village to get to the finish line. Bernard who set up the "one more game", Charlotte who decided to give her another chance etc.

Yes, Ser Scot, you are correct. You are not part of the collective who didn't learn  B)

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Humans have been reduced to very small numbers in the past and come back from those numbers.

Sure, Dolores may be wrong - or even perhaps change her mind and try to save/cooperate with the outliers in the potential final season - but that's clearly what she thinks now.

12 hours ago, Ran said:

One of the best, most unique missions in Cyberpunk 2077, where nearly all missions are named after songs, is "Pyramid Song."  Was just reminded of that when you mentioned the song's peaceful sound.  (I thought the glimpse of the LED-screen covered Times Square-alike near the end of the episode looked really similar to bits of Night City in the game, too.)

I admit it sounds odd. Christine talks explicitly of all sentient life being dead, but... the outliers? Does she not know about them? Or does she just mean within the cities she served as Storyteller for? 

I admit a lot of the last couple of minutes was (deliberately) cryptic.

Where you go diving with Judy?, yeah that’s such a great mission, she also has some of the lyrics as one of her tattoos as well.

I think it’s a song that has a special place for a lot of people, for me it just feels incredibly soothing and tranquil, even though it’s about death and the afterlife.

‘There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt’

That’s such a great line when thinking about it’s subject matter, I don’t know it just resonates with me a lot.

Thinking on it, it was a great pick for sentient life on earth ending on Westworld.

• 4 weeks later...

I rewatched most of season 4, and, it really wasn't that good. On the initial run, I was so happy it was better than the terrible season 3, I glossed over how poor the pacing was, and how they tried to stuff too much plot into only 8 episodes.  On rewatch a lot of plot strands that I again glossed over, were pretty dumb.  Why would D. Hale allow host MiB so much power?  I love Maeve but her being a 'weapon' didn't really pan out very logically.  Why did Clementine turn murderous? Many things that were supposed to have emotional resonance [Jesse Pinkman, I'm looking at you] didn't hit me that hard, compared to the bittersweet of earlier seasons. The two characters I cared most about...Bernard & Maeve didn't make it, at least for now.  I'm also not that interested in whatever new 'game' Christina/Dolores wants to play for the final season.   I still don't think HBO will renew for the final season, and quite frankly, I don't care too much.

14 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I rewatched most of season 4, and, it really wasn't that good. On the initial run, I was so happy it was better than the terrible season 3, I glossed over how poor the pacing was, and how they tried to stuff too much plot into only 8 episodes.  On rewatch a lot of plot strands that I again glossed over, were pretty dumb.  Why would D. Hale allow host MiB so much power?  I love Maeve but her being a 'weapon' didn't really pan out very logically.  Why did Clementine turn murderous? Many things that were supposed to have emotional resonance [Jesse Pinkman, I'm looking at you] didn't hit me that hard, compared to the bittersweet of earlier seasons. The two characters I cared most about...Bernard & Maeve didn't make it, at least for now.  I'm also not that interested in whatever new 'game' Christina/Dolores wants to play for the final season.   I still don't think HBO will renew for the final season, and quite frankly, I don't care too much.

I'm surprised anyone could manage a rewatch of this season.

• 1 month later...

And it's done. HBO has pulled the plug and there will not be a fifth season, though Nolan and Joy both said they had hopes for one for a proper wrap up. But the ending of this season did feel like they knew they were on the bubble and gave it a kind of ambiguous ending rather than any kind of cliffhanger for a new season.

This wasn’t a surprise, but it is a shame that they were cancelled with only one season to go. I only watched the first two seasons, which I mostly enjoyed, but I think Westworld is a rare example of a story that was too ambitious, and perhaps a smidge too impressed with itself.

Zaslav axed most of the other shows right away, so maybe he was a fan himself. They did sit on this one for quite a while (same with Fantastic Beasts, which could probably be saved if they brought in a new director who uses a larger palette of colors and a co-writer to clean up the scripts).

Nevertheless, HBO loves reusing actors, so I’m sure we’ll be seeing this cast again. I’d love to see Evan Rachel Wood in something Westeros related.

I could never bring myself to watch season 4 and it's mostly because season 3, was one of the worst seasons of a tv show I've ever experienced. I'm still shocked I was able to finish it, but I'm sure lockdown played a factor, because aside from season 5 of Better Call Saul, not a whole lot of stuff I liked was airing.

Apparently a historical moment: this will make 2023 the first year since 2000 that Bad Robot has not had a show in production or airing on American TV. They have a bunch of stuff in development but northing formally greenlit.

I bought Season 1 on Blu-Ray (ha) years ago but never got round to watching it, and then everyone and their uncle seemed to despise Season 2 onwards. Is it worth watching? I wasn't a huge fan of the original movie either.

Archived