Star Wars: Entering an uncivilized era

Corvinus85

So I'm starting the new thread with a question that has started to nag me - we know that millions of clones were created and fought in the Clone Wars. At the first battle of Geonosis, alone, nearly 200,000 clones were deployed. So why is it that clones, or at least everyone we've encountered, only have 4 digits in their designation number? Rex is CT-7567, Cody is CC-2224 etc.

Anyway, here is the actual trailer for Obi-Wan. Oh, and Ahsoka started filming this week.

Yeah Star Wars and realism never work together. i Have tons of problems with some aspects of Star Wars, but most are unanswerable.

And dont know what to say about Vader and obi wan meeting before a new hope (if it happens).

25 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Well 26 times 26 is 676 pairs of letters (AA through ZZ) times 9999 number combinations is well over 6 million unique possible clone designations.

I always assumed that CT stood for Clone Trooper, and CC stood for Clone Commander (or Commando). I don't think I've seen any clones with any other two letters.

2 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Yeah Star Wars and realism never work together. i Have tons of problems with some aspects of Star Wars, but most are unanswerable.

And dont know what to say about Vader and obi wan meeting before a new hope (if it happens).

I don’t have an issue with them meeting between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope.  It kind of explains why Kenobi immediately recognizes Vader, yet shows no revulsion or horror at what Anakin had become.  And the fact that he refers to him as Vader and has already given Anakin up as lost implies that he’s confronted Anakin as Vader in the past.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I always assumed that CT stood for Clone Trooper, and CC stood for Clone Commander (or Commando). I don't think I've seen any clones with any other two letters.

I couldn't remember if they were all CCs and CTs, but Finn was a stormtrooper (though not a clone)  and his name came from his number designation starting with FN- something.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

So I'm starting the new thread with a question that has started to nag me - we know that millions of clones were created and fought in the Clone Wars. At the first battle of Geonosis, alone, nearly 200,000 clones were deployed. So why is it that clones, or at least everyone we've encountered, only have 4 digits in their designation number? Rex is CT-7567, Cody is CC-2224 etc.

This problem existed long before Clone Wars with droid names. Astromechs have four letters or numbers in their designation (R2-D2). That would give 1.7 million combinations... except we know that R2 is a series designation. So only up to 1296 R2 series mechs could have been made without repeating the (apparently unique) name R2-D2. Except that we also never see an astromech droid with the number first and the letter second, so it may be as few as 260.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Anyway, here is the actual trailer for Obi-Wan. Oh, and Ahsoka started filming this week.

Does this mean we have to dance-fight?

13 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I don’t have an issue with them meeting between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope.  It kind of explains why Kenobi immediately recognizes Vader, yet shows no revulsion or horror at what Anakin had become.  And the fact that he refers to him as Vader and has already given Anakin up as lost implies that he’s confronted Anakin as Vader in the past.

He just calls him "Darth" when they meet in the Death Star, like it's his first name.  Which...it was, since Lucas hadn't decided to make him be the same person as Anakin at that point...

6 hours ago, HokieStone said:

He just calls him "Darth" when they meet in the Death Star, like it's his first name.  Which...it was, since Lucas hadn't decided to make him be the same person as Anakin at that point...

I assumed he was using it to insult, like calling someone a nazi. 

Big Star Wars article at Vanity Fair, with some interesting stuff in it. They confirm that Andor should launch quite soon after Obi-Wan concludes, so probably July or August, and then Mando 3 will launch late this year or early next. Really interesting moment when Favreau says that using the Volume cuts their production time by over 50% compared to a show with 100% physical sets and props.

Ahsoka will launch next year (with Mary Elizabeth Winstead now confirmed to co-star) and The Acolyte in late 2023/early 2024. The Acolyte is set at the end of the High Republic era, maybe 100 years before The Phantom Menace.

There's also a new TV series in the writing stage from the Spider-Man: Homecoming trilogy creative team (Jon Watts/Chris Ford). It's codenamed "Grammar Rodeo" and is basically Star Wars: Stranger Things, with four young kids caught up in an adventure. Apparently they're aiming for a 1980s-style "Amblin adventure."

The Taika Waititi Star Wars movie is up next, and is his project once Thor: Love and Thunder comes out. So that might only be two years off or so. Then Rogue Squadron, although Patty Jenkins needs to wrap Wonder Woman 3 first. However, that's not due to start shooting until next year, so Rogue Squadron is likely 2025 or even 2026.

The Kevin Feige movie is apparently on the back burner because of Feige's MCU commitments (obviously). The Rian Johnson trilogy is still in development but Johnson needs to complete his Netflix contract before they even think about it.

The Knights of the Old Republic movie, the Benioff/Weiss project and the Lando Calrissian TV show all go unmentioned.

I am concerned that their takeaway from Solo's failure is that "recasting does not work" and they must therefore use creepy deefake CGI things from now onwards (especially since they're using a recast Obi-Wan Kenobi). Also, they could just...move on altogether and find new stories to tell?

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I am concerned that their takeaway from Solo's failure is that "recasting does not work" and they must therefore use creepy deefake CGI things from now onwards (especially since they're using a recast Obi-Wan Kenobi). Also, they could just...move on altogether and find new stories to tell?

Hey Solo ruled and Alden was perfectly fine as Han Solo. Yes, Anthony Ingruber might have been a better choice due to his shocking resemblance to Harrison Ford, but Solo was a fun, if mismanaged, film.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Big Star Wars article at Vanity Fair, with some interesting stuff in it. They confirm that Andor should launch quite soon after Obi-Wan concludes, so probably July or August, and then Mando 3 will launch late this year or early next. Really interesting moment when Favreau says that using the Volume cuts their production time by over 50% compared to a show with 100% physical sets and props.

Can they get a volume that renders something other than Tattoine? That would be swell.

The Taika Waititi Star Wars movie is up next, and is his project once Thor: Love and Thunder comes out. So that might only be two years off or so. Then Rogue Squadron, although Patty Jenkins needs to wrap Wonder Woman 3 first. However, that's not due to start shooting until next year, so Rogue Squadron is likely 2025 or even 2026.

The Kevin Feige movie is apparently on the back burner because of Feige's MCU commitments (obviously). The Rian Johnson trilogy is still in development but Johnson needs to complete his Netflix contract before they even think about it.

The Knights of the Old Republic movie, the Benioff/Weiss project and the Lando Calrissian TV show all go unmentioned.

Are the dates you stated from the article or are they speculation? I could be wrong, but with Avatar sequels every two years till the end of the decade and 2-3 MCU films every year 'till we're all dead, my gut tells me Star Wars will be living on D+ for the foreseeable future. 

Solo did not fail because of recasting. That's nonsense. It failed because (in roughly ascending order):

1. Firing Lord and Miller. Right or wrong, it generated negative press when it should have been building hype. This was accompanied by other on-set rumors that could only set the thing up to fail. 

2. Negative reaction to TLJ. Like it or not, there was a lot of it and I think it soured some people on paying for a movie ticket to another Star Wars film at the time. 

3. A terrible marketing campaign. For a spring release, You need a teaser trailer in theaters by Christmas. Ideally, you want a teaser by thanksgiving and a full trailer by Christmas. They showed a 40 second trailer during the Super Bowl (February 4) with a full trailer about 2 weeks later. That's way too late. Some of the normies I talked to, who were Star Wars fans, didn't even know the thing was coming out until I asked them if they were going to see it. One guy was wearing a millennium falcon Tee shirt. This was two weeks before the premiere.

4. A ridiculously crowded spring release schedule. Deadpool 2 and Avengers Infinity War opened in the month before and Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom opened the month after. Ready Player One and Black Panther were still in theaters. Among those films, four of them crossed $1 Billion at the box office and the others did quite well. Solo got swamped. 

Archived