Star Wars: Entering an uncivilized era

Corvinus85

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is where people interpret all of these things differently. That very list is also a lot of the same things I remember, but for much more negative reasons.

• Leia being mostly wasted in the role

I mean Leia is knocked out for a rather large portion of the film...............after her adventure in the vacuum of space. Not gona lie, the edit in which they get her back in the ship, might be the worst edit in the history of Star Wars. She's just floating outside in space and than randomly back in the ship in the very next scene. Still I much prefer that to CGI/digital insert Leia, which we got in the RoS.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Still nothing is ever topping "somehow Palpatine has returned". Whenever I need a smile on my face, I rewatch that clip on youtube.

Do you think that scene, when Oscar looks up and down, just as he says those oh so magical words, that he's thinking to himself: "I cannot believe I'm saying this shit"? 

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Do you think that scene, when Oscar looks up and down, just as he says those oh so magical words, that he's thinking to himself: "I cannot believe I'm saying this shit"? 

This is sort of my definitive line to go to, whenever someone tries to tell me Abrams is a good writer.

31 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Channeling a bit of Michael Cain maybe.

"I have never seen it (Jaws 4) but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

In that case, I hope that paycheck builds Isaacs a fricken moon base.

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'll raise you that scene with this one

That's a heckuva beautiful snarl that Daisy Ridley has in that still frame though.

I can definitely say for me personally that I saw every Star Wars film in theater that I could (3 prequels, 3 special editions, TFA, Rogue One, TLJ).  And since then I have seen zero.  Because TLJ was a terrible movie.  I left the theater with mixed feelings, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it was just garbage.

And my biggest problem with it isn't even the things people mostly harp on (although Luke's portrayal and the overall plot are not good).  It was that TLJ made the SW Universe seem really small. The Last Order comes back with their horrendous racist policies, and the millions of alien planets do....nothing?  The rebels won the war in RoTJ but after a couple of setbacks they are reduced to just like 5 ships full of people?  WTF?  Where the fuck is everybody?!  This is a conflict spanning the entire galaxy, and yet it's the same 10 people running into each other over and over again. 

It makes the story feel stagnant and small and frankly, boring.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Totally agree. I enjoyed it the first time, but heard all the criticism and it was hard not to see them the second time through. Not sure if I've watched it again in full, though I will stop on it now and then just to see where it's at for a moment.

My test for whether or not I think a movie is good is whether or not I'd consider owning a physical copy of it and/or would I consider watching/streaming it after I've seen it twice.  By that measure, as flawed as the prequels were, they are infinitely better than the sequel trilogy (for me).

Yes the dialogue is clunky and some of the performances aren't great, but the films are well made and there are some much meatier concepts being explored than what's going on in the Disney stuff. There was also much less reliance on fan service. The third film comes *that close* to not including a scene on Tattoine. 

If Lucas had stepped back a little and taken the role of God Emperor Creative Producer (where he excels), and brought in some hungry young so-and-so to collaborate with and to handle things on-set, those films would be regarded somewhat differently today. 

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My test for whether or not I think a movie is good is whether or not I'd consider owning a physical copy of it and/or would I consider watching/streaming it after I've seen it twice.  By that measure, as flawed as the prequels were, they are infinitely better than the sequel trilogy (for me).

How old were you when you first saw them though? That plays a big role in how you view them. I was in 5th grade when TPM came out so thus I'll always love it despite all the flaws. When TCW came out I was old enough to recognize that it's a bad film and never had the same attachment. Thankfully RotS is actually decent so it's not hard to rewatch it*. So yeah, overall give me the prequels all day.

*It always makes me laugh that I saw RotS on opening day because I got suspended from school while on a field trip at an amusement park

21 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It was that TLJ made the SW Universe seem really small. The Last Order comes back with their horrendous racist policies, and the millions of alien planets do....nothing?  The rebels won the war in RoTJ but after a couple of setbacks they are reduced to just like 5 ships full of people?  WTF?  Where the fuck is everybody?!  This is a conflict spanning the entire galaxy, and yet it's the same 10 people running into each other over and over again. 

This is by far my biggest problem with the sequel trilogy as well - and you're right that TLJ really emphasizes it (the slow-mo chase really doesn't help) - but to be fair I started asking these types of questions about 10 minutes into TFA.  Out loud, in the theater.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is by far my biggest problem with the sequel trilogy as well - and you're right that TLJ really emphasizes it (the slow-mo chase really doesn't help) - but to be fair I started asking these types of questions about 10 minutes into TFA.  Out loud, in the theater.

Same, I was honestly shocked by what I was seeing, when I started seeing TFA. Like the Empire is suddenly back, how? Wait, why are the Resistance called the Resistance, if they're the ones in charge? Why aren't they simply called "the army". Snoke was the biggest question, I had, but he became less relevant as the series went on. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

It was a problem in TFA, but you could make some excuses like "nobody was ready for the New Order except the former Rebels".  It's a stretch, but not crazy.  But in TLJ they explicitly say this is all that's left of the resistance to the New Order (a few hundred people). 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How old were you when you first saw them though? That plays a big role in how you view them. I was in 5th grade when TPM came out so thus I'll always love it despite all the flaws. When TCW came out I was old enough to recognize that it's a bad film and never had the same attachment. Thankfully RotS is actually decent so it's not hard to rewatch it*. So yeah, overall give me the prequels all day.

This is the real question here.

The prequels get a lot of praise now that was unheard of 17 years ago, mostly because they are now the childhood "Star Wars" for a whole generation. OT was my childhood Star Wars. In another 15 years, there will be a new group online wondering what the hell this new Episode X crap is.

Why is Rey old?? Where did Poe go? How did Ben know to send his soul into one of the untouched Palpatine clones and how has he been hiding all this time without telling Rey he was alive?? FILONI IS OLD, OUT OF TOUCH, AND RAPING MY CHILDHOOD!!

Or something along those lines. :)

I've said before when those movies were still fresh, but Disney decided to create a business model for Star Wars were you couldn't just get a complete picture from the main movies, you required familiarity with books, comic books, and even video games. And that was incredibly irritating.

@Maithanet That was my criticism of TLJ, as well, when the movie came out. I wasn't really that bothered about the Luke change and killing off Snoke. But the smallness of the universe was disppointing.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It was a problem in TFA, but you could make some excuses like "nobody was ready for the New Order except the former Rebels".  It's a stretch, but not crazy.  But in TLJ they explicitly say this is all that's left of the resistance to the New Order (a few hundred people). 

That's true.  Between TFA and TLJ I still had a new hope.

7 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

This is the real question here.

The prequels get a lot of praise now that was unheard of 17 years ago, mostly because they are now the childhood "Star Wars" for a whole generation. OT was my childhood Star Wars. In another 15 years, there will be a new group online wondering what the hell this new Episode X crap is.

Why is Rey old?? Where did Poe go? How did Ben know to send his soul into one of the untouched Palpatine clones and how has he been hiding all this time without telling Rey he was alive?? FILONI IS OLD, OUT OF TOUCH, AND RAPING MY CHILDHOOD!!

Or something along those lines. :)

I wonder who will kill Palpatine in the next trilogy, lol

Archived