Football: Squeaky Bum Time

Raja

8 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Awful from Mane.

It did feel like a bad idea to have Mane on the last penalty considering Mendy has presumably a lot of experience practicing penalties against. Still, it didn’t matter in the end.

Tight game, there really was hardly anything between the sides but I’ll take the win.:commie:

Liverpool are really starting to look out of fuel here in the final weeks, so their substitutions don't really cause much of a drop off in quality.

Tsimikas' celebrations were worth the price of admission in the end, though.  The facilities and maintenance people at Kirkby are already springing into action in their recently acquired area of expertise as they update the wall of trophies.

6 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I didn't watch the game, but I saw Tuchel subbed Lukaku off. I don't know why he did it, considering Lukaku has flawless penalty record for the past three years, if not longer. Was he that awful?

I don’t think the Lukaku substitution had anything to do with penalties, it was just to get fresh legs on in a period when Chelsea were struggling a bit. He wasn’t notably bad but he wasn’t particularly good either.:dunno:

Apparently Werner had hamstring issues during his warm up. That's why Tuchel didn't/couldn't bring him on.

Edit: Going back to the Lewandowski leaving (if Bayern have a replacement ready). Rumoredly Bayern have contacted Mane's agent. So that would be the replacement for Lewandowski.

The standout feature for me in Liverpool’s victory was the squad depth.  Fabinho out injured, Firmino has been out for weeks, Salah went off early, VVD couldn’t do ET and Robertson limped off too.  But there was enough depth to carry them through.  They really should have taken some of their chances in normal time, with Robertson perhaps the worst miss, but they saw it out.

Chelsea have lost three consecutive FA Cup finals without scoring in any of them (and scoreless in the LC final too).  They’re undoubtedly a solid defensive team but only because they commit so many players and concede so much territory to be so, which means they’re ultimately gambling that a goal will just happen for them — as it did in the luckiest CL win I can recall.  Overall, I’m not surprised that they lose more than they win even if it comes down to fine margins.

Liverpool look exhausted.  If City win today then it’s time to rest players for the CL final.

Three games ago (for us) mood was around the press that we'd go down. Now, given this result, we need two points from next three to be safe.

I did know before the last three, though, and know still, to not take anything for granted. But if we could avoid another 3-2 vs Wimbledon or 1-1 vs Coventry, I'm very much happy.

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

My brother in law is a Burnley fan and he didn't complain that much. 

This guy is a Tottenham fan... 

Sums it up perfectly. It was a miskick from a Spurs player, who went to kick the ball and it came off his shin, before glancing off a Burnley arm causing no discernable deviation from the ball's trajectory. No Spurs players claimed it either. 

It was a soft penalty and in an ideal world you wouldnt give penalties for something like that but I'd be furious if a spurs player was stretching his arms out in the box like that.

3 minutes ago, Darryk said:

It was a soft penalty and in an ideal world you wouldnt give penalties for something like that but I'd be furious if a spurs player was stretching his arms out in the box like that.

The handball rule was introduced to stop Victorians from picking up the ball and drop-kicking it. That decison today was an aberration. 

The officials in this country - VAR, PGMOL, and the idiots on the pitch every week - have not got a fucking clue, and they are ever so slowly destroying the game. 

Archived