Football: Squeaky Bum Time

Raja

48 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Vini, Mbappé and Rodrygo are competing for the same spot though. Of course with Benzema that's a hell of a front line, but you would prefer each of these players to play in his best position.

Mbappe is more versatile though. He's class anywhere across the front 3 positions. In the last few seasons he's played primarily at either CF or LW but he's class on the RW as well as he showed when he played for Monaco, the first couple of seasons at PSG and France's WC win. 

10 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Will Rudiger play all that much? He's looked dodgy in four man defences before now.

As far as the offers Mbappe has had, I'm sure even the lowest is still crazy money. He's already rich enough that money will never be an issue for him or his family, so he may as well pick for footballing reasons.

Played it in the past. Would probably take some time adjusting to it, again. But he should be able to work well in it. Besides, who says Real want to play with a back four next season. So wait and see, what Real/Ancelotti have in mind.

Sigh. Can't show up to an away game in this league with zero intensity and expect to get anything. We got pressed once or twice and then refused to play it short for goal kicks, which meant the ball just kept coming back. You need to have courage on the ball, and this team is capable of beating newcastle's press, but I think the nerves & good pressure by Newcastle meant that we kept going long again and again.

Europa league was the minimum for us this season, we've done that but it's hard not be disappointed at missing out on the CL when it was there for the taking. Injuries, a thin squad and an inability to pick ourselves up after deafeats have come back to bite us big time ( Getting nothing from Brighton, Soton & Palace was not great)

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Sigh. Can't show up to an away game in this league with zero intensity and expect to get anything. We got pressed once or twice and then refused to play it short for goal kicks, which meant the ball just kept coming back. You need to have courage on the ball, and this team is capable of beating newcastle's press, but I think the nerves & good pressure by Newcastle meant that we kept going long again and again.

Europa league was the minimum for us this season, we've done that but it's hard not be disappointed at missing out on the CL when it was there for the taking. Injuries, a thin squad and an inability to pick ourselves up after deafeats have come back to bite us big time ( Getting nothing from Brighton, Soton & Palace was not great)

May I reiterate what I told @Spockydog

Nothing better than being a gooner and masochist. At least spocky, can't say I didn't warn him.

But in all seriousness. It was good season for Arsenal. Whether it'll be CL or EL. Youngest team in the league, much improved over last season. It really was a fairly succesful season for Arsenal. 

If you still feel bad. May I point you to another Red club, with a rich tradition from Manchester. 

I wouldn't call it a successful season for Arsenal. It was decent but at the end of the day they were in the drivers seat for 4th place and bottled it in the home stretch. Soon to be 6 straight seasons failing to qualify for the CL unless Spurs pull a Spurs against the worst side in the league.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

BBC reporting rumours we might try and get Jose, I'll put up with murdered journalists and the away shirt being in Saudi colours and sport washing, but I'm not having that. 

The evil bastards

I wouldn't put any stock at all into BBC's transfer gossip section. Unless one of their football journalists puts his name to a transfer report, i wouldn't consider the report to be reliable at all. Besides, this Mourinho rumour looks to be originating from the Spanish tabloids.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

BBC reporting rumours we might try and get Jose, I'll put up with murdered journalists and the away shirt being in Saudi colours and sport washing, but I'm not having that. 

The evil bastards

That would be an absolutely terrible idea. Howe has enhanced hit reputation no end so far at Newcastle, though the recruitment has been particularly good.

Getting Jose would signal a switch to a more Galacticos approach, which would be a very bad idea. Moving in the current direction, getting in more Bruno Guimaeraes' rather than going for aging Ronaldos seemed to be working well.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I wouldn't call it a successful season for Arsenal. It was decent but at the end of the day they were in the drivers seat for 4th place and bottled it in the home stretch. Soon to be 6 straight seasons failing to qualify for the CL unless Spurs pull a Spurs against the worst side in the league.

Depends on how you look at it. 

Compared to pre-season expectations, where they'd finish, it was strong season. Nobody expected them to challenge for CL spot. EL was about as high as expectations went. They are doing a rebuild and have atm the youngest team in the league. So if you put all this into considerations qualifying for the EL sounds like a good season. 

Chelsea is the team with the mixed season. They will finish third, with a higher number of points than last season. If they were to win their final games, they could get as  many as 76 points (United finished second last season with 74 points), They qualified for two cup finals and were Liverpool's equal in both of them. So basically an improvement over last season on almost all fronts. But compared to pre-season expectations, their season still feels rather meh at best. They were considered to be in a good position to challenge City for the league and they are still a good way off a title challenge. 

There's no point comparing it to pre season expectations given that Arsenal were coming off a season where the team underperformed and finished 8th again so there was a lot of pessimism around the club. The fact of the matter is that Arsenal were in a commanding position to finish 4th but now need Norwich to do them a favour when they really should have had top 4 wrapped up with a game or two to spare. So the season could still end up being a successful one depending on the final day results or end up being a decent enough if not ultimately disappointing season given the position that was squandered.

I will be mostly interested to see what Arteta does next season, it's going to be heavily dependant on recruitment. Have to see if they get a good quality centre forward that actually also scores goals, and an improved midfield.. defender. If the same pattern happens next year then I would really scrutinise what Arteta is doing.

Agree to disagree. Arsenal have shown vast improvement on the pitch, so that team is on an upwards trajectory. With their pretty young squad that should provide grounds for optimism. So decent is underselling them. Would be curious how our resident gooner rate this season.

Archived