Football: Squeaky Bum Time

Raja

Women’s Champions League final tonight featuring what are apparently comfortably the two best teams in women’s football. I’m a bit of an inconsistent watcher of women’s football but it’s been improving pretty rapidly over the last few years as more professionalism has kicked in so this does seem to be a bit of a landmark game.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Yep.

There's also reports that PSG are in negotiations with Zidane. Leonardo could be out the door as well with reports claiming that Luis Campos is the favourite replace him as sporting director.

Leonardo out would be bad. As in, if they could get somebody competent, they might actually end up in a position where they could accidently win that elusive CL title.

57 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Women’s Champions League final tonight featuring what are apparently comfortably the two best teams in women’s football. I’m a bit of an inconsistent watcher of women’s football but it’s been improving pretty rapidly over the last few years as more professionalism has kicked in so this does seem to be a bit of a landmark game.

Turning out to be pretty one sided with Lyon running away with it. 3-0 up already.

Ah, well, German Cup final later on.

Let's see if Freiburg manage to delay the inevitable title for RedBull Leipzig and the fascist Mateschitz.

I hope for Streich and Freiburg to win the title, proper football club with a sound fan scene. 

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Turning out to be pretty one sided with Lyon running away with it. 3-0 up already.

Barcelona fell apart under the pressure Lyon were putting them under for a decent chunk of that half, which was a bit disappointing, but they did seem to get their act together after the goal so hopefully it'll be a better second half.

8 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Fun, at least, for Norway that our star players are involved in the goals. Goal and assist for Hegerberg, assist for Graham Hansen.

Hegerberg's been good. Graham-Hansen's been pretty rubbish mostly.

FFS Freiburg :/

1-0 up early on. About 10 minutes into the second half Leipzig are down to 10 men (Halstenberg professional foul), and yet they concede the equalizer.

And now the VAR is interfering checking for a potential Leipzig penalty.

Not a good week in football.

Phew. No penalty. I was like really worried for a moment there.

PSG have confirmed that Mbappe has extended to 2025.

But wait....the saga is not over. LaLiga has announced that they intend to file a complaint against PSG with UEFA, French administrative and tax authorities as well as the relevant bodies of the EU.

In their statement they say that they find it to be scandalous that PSG, which last season lost more than €220m after having accumulated losses of €700m in recent seasons (even declaring income from sponsorships of a very dubious amount) and with a wage bill of €650m for this season, can still be allowed to reach an agreement of this financial magnitude. Goes on to criticise the behaviour of Nasser Al-Khelaifi and says that he does not respect nor want to respect the economic rules and represents as great a threat to European football as the Super League.

Meanwhile, only 25% of tickets have been sold. Way, way down on previous years.

Fuck FIFA. Football should do what EA have done, and take their game away from these corrupt bastards.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not sure, I'd take EA as a role model for anything tbh.

Yeah, obvs. But they took their ball away from FIFA, and there's nothing to stop the national associations from doing something similar.

There is, in fact. It would be horrendously complicated legally to leave FIFA. Most smaller nations couldn't afford it. Many mid-size assocations couldn't either. They'd lose the main sources of income they have. Plus, FIFA have a seat on the IFB so even if you leave, you still have to deal with them.

And let's be honest, any organisation the national associations set up as a successor would be worse for everyone but the top few (England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, maybe USA, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, and a couple of other European teams). It would be a case of, if you can't draw an audience, you're not worth thinking about.

My views on the Qatar fiasco have been consistent since 2010 - it's a travesty in every way - but let's not pretend it would be easy or a good thing for the national FAs to leave FIFA just because we wish it were true.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

There is, in fact. It would be horrendously complicated legally to leave FIFA. Most smaller nations couldn't afford it. Many mid-size assocations couldn't either. They'd lose the main sources of income they have. Plus, FIFA have a seat on the IFB so even if you leave, you still have to deal with them.

And let's be honest, any organisation the national associations set up as a successor would be worse for everyone but the top few (England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, maybe USA, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, and a couple of other European teams). It would be a case of, if you can't draw an audience, you're not worth thinking about.

My views on the Qatar fiasco have been consistent since 2010 - it's a travesty in every way - but let's not pretend it would be easy or a good thing for the national FAs to leave FIFA just because we wish it were true.

Ah, yes, the old 'Yeah, we know this thing is shit. We know this thing is unfit for purpose. We know this thing is really, really bad for us and is causing more harm than good. But replacing it will cost too much money. So let's not bother even trying.'

I don't claim to know how this would be practically achieved, but FIFA certainly would not be the first massive, worldwide organization to be disbanded and replaced with something else.

I'd be happy to leave the detail to people who know a hell of a lot more about the game than you or I, people such as David Dein, who has already called for them to go.

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Ah, yes, the old 'Yeah, we know this thing is shit. We know this thing is unfit for purpose. We know this thing is really, really bad for us and is causing more harm than good. But replacing it will cost too much money. So let's not bother even trying.'

Didn't have you down as a 'let the bigger money teams screw over those with less resources' guy I have to say.

Archived