Football: Squeaky Bum Time

Raja

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not really. It's 90 mins away. 

Ah okay, I was under the impression a few of the northern cities in relatively close proximity had rivalries. Like I know Man United and Leeds have a rivalry despite being about 2 hours apart. Though that apparently has has something to do with the Wars of the Roses (Lancashire vs Yorkshite)

Son and Salah share the Golden Boot with 23 goals. Salah had more assists, while Son had no goals from penalties. I watched the Spurs game highlights, and if his teammates had been a little less selfless and if he had a better 1st half, Son could have have been the sole winner of the Golden Boot. He could have scored another 2-3 goals.

St. Totteringham’s Day is officially canceled this year.  Arsenal only have themselves to blame.

What to make of Conte and Spurs though?  They made up a lot of ground and accumulated a lot of points.  Does that mean they can be title challengers, or was it mostly that they got 8 wins from 11 during a period when they had an easy schedule?  Since March 1st, they’ve played once a week (maybe one midweek game in there), so lots of time for coaching and for resting players.  City, Chelsea and especially Liverpool played twice as many games in that period.

Even so, it’s a big turnaround from their situation last season and into the early part of this season.  Perhaps a few more signings could push them on.  Romero was a very good addition for them defensively, even if he’s a bit fortunate not to get more bookings.  And Kulusevski gave them an extra angle in their attack.  That’s a big improvement in their recruitment after a few years of duds.

I've been pretty resigned to the fact that City were going to win the league (although the bit of hope they offered today before snuffing out it was a particularly annoying way to go about it) for a while but it is eating at me a little bit tonight. In the last four seasons Liverpool have got 97 points and won the Champions League and now got 92 points, won the FA and League Cups and are in the Champions League final. Taken in isolation you could make a pretty strong case for either of those seasons being the best season any team have ever had in the Premier League but we've somehow managed to fall just short of winning the league both times. I mean, come on!

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've been pretty resigned to the fact that City were going to win the league (although the bit of hope they offered today before snuffing out it was a particularly annoying way to go about it) for a while but it is eating at me a little bit tonight. In the last four seasons Liverpool have got 97 points and won the Champions League and now got 92 points, won the FA and League Cups and are in the Champions League final. Taken in isolation you could make a pretty strong case for either of those seasons being the best season any team have ever had in the Premier League but we've somehow managed to fall just short of winning the league both times. I mean, come on!

It feels like a thankless task to strive and strain to chase this over-funded City team, while the rest of the league doesn’t even come close.  We’re the only thing stopping the PL from being like the French or German leagues.

Ya went in yesterday not expecting anything but now can’t shake the feeling of disappointment. Really thought when coutinho scored to make it 2-0 while it was still 1-1 at anfield that we would pull it off. Oh well. 
happy Milan won Serie A. Young fun team to watch. Great way for Zlatan to end things if he does retire. He really changed the whole mentality of the club since his return. 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:58 PM, ljkeane said:

I've been pretty resigned to the fact that City were going to win the league (although the bit of hope they offered today before snuffing out it was a particularly annoying way to go about it)

I can testify to having preferred the idea of a nice comfortable 2-0 victory.

Respect of course to Liverpool for creating a title race. Hope Klopp and Pep continue and maintain these crazy standards.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wolfsburg(Kohfeldt gone; presumably Kovac coming in), Hoffenheim (Hoeneß gone, ?), Gladbach(Hütter gone; Favre frontrunner), Augsburg (Weinzierl gone; ?), now Dortmund(Rose gone, Terzic presumably taking over)

Time for some updates.

Confirmed

Wolfburg: Kovac

Hoffenheim: Breitenreiter

Dortmund: Terzic

No confirmation just rumors for now.

Gladbach no news yet, but Favre expected to be announced this week.

Augsburg: just rumors for now. Zeidler (St. Gallen) is the frontrunner. Struber (RB NY) is another name popping up in the media. Also mentioned Hannes Wolf

Archived