Football: Squeaky Bum Time

Raja

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

And if you think having a player like Mo in your squad, a player who knows his place in the pecking order, who can come in and do a job without kicking up shit (and not only that - he is by all accounts a hugely positive influence in the dressing room), if you think that's a player not worth having, then I don't know what to tell you.

I'd take Mo Elneny over any other fourth choice central midfielder in the Premier League.

Also, our PL squad has had just eighteen players since January. So we need bodies. Lots of them. And we still have our targets.

I didn’t say anything negative about either player.  It’s Arsenal who let both of their contracts wind down and then, when they could have already negotiated an agreement somewhere else, suddenly flip-flop and offered them better terms.  The club has had a long time to evaluate both players, but then changed their mind on their long term value and/or fit based on a few games.

No issue with Eddie or Elneny staying. Going to be lots of games next season and Eddie has shown that he can score goals & be a handful at this level, which he hasn't shown before. They were offered better terms because they showed the club that they have something to offer, that's how football works. Things change when players perform.

They need to come out with the all or nothing documentary soon, I hope I don't have to wait till August for it.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I didn’t say anything negative about either player.  It’s Arsenal who let both of their contracts wind down and then, when they could have already negotiated an agreement somewhere else, suddenly flip-flop and offered them better terms.  The club has had a long time to evaluate both players, but then changed their mind on their long term value and/or fit based on a few games.

Arsenal did not allow Eddie's contract to wind down. They offered him new terms a year ago. That up until now, he has refused to accept. And I'm not quite sure why you're struggling with the notion that a player who all of a sudden shows much more potential than ever before might be offered a better deal.

I mean, that's how it works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61600753

Presumably Mane is staying, then: if only because after saying he's going to give a 'special' answer, 'the best answer you want to hear', if he then says 'the answer is I'm fucking off to Bayern, seeya chumps' he would never be able to come within 100 miles of Liverpool again.

Cenk Tosun is off this summer, after his 4 1/2 year contract runs out. Which is a good reminder that it's only 4 years since Everton's manager was Samuele Allardici. Never again!

Also rumors that Rondon is wanted in Spain (please!), and that Allan is wanted in Italy. Judging from the end of the season Lampard doesn't really rate Allan, so I'm sort of resigned to losing him. I think we need some sort of replacement, though, because shielding our defense will have to be an important part of any game plan until we've got a new central defense and a new right back.

Lot of reports that we're near to signing Jurrien Timber, and are still in for De Jong. As good as each player is or might be individually, it's always a little concerning when a manager comes in to the biggest job of their career so far, financially and in terms of competition, and their main thought is just players from their old club- even when it's a club as well-run as Ajax. Hope there's other deals on the table too.  

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Lot of reports that we're near to signing Jurrien Timber, and are still in for De Jong. As good as each player is or might be individually, it's always a little concerning when a manager comes in to the biggest job of their career so far, financially and in terms of competition, and their main thought is just players from their old club- even when it's a club as well-run as Ajax. Hope there's other deals on the table too.  

But that worked out so well with Fellaini!

Seriously, I don't know much about Timber but yeah, I would be concerned. OTOH maybe there's an argument for bringing in a partner who can already work with De Jong?

3 hours ago, mormont said:

OTOH maybe there's an argument for bringing in a partner who can already work with De Jong?

Timber is a CB.

Eta. The two of them never played together in Ajax's first team and I don't think they played together in the youth teams either since De Jong is 5 years older.

I'd be more sceptical about De Jong. He's a good player but according to all reports he really doesn't want to leave Barca but might need to be sold as Barca are in need of liquidity. I don't want us to end up with a player on fat wages who doesn't want to be here - we already have a massive problem when it comes to players attitude and commitment.

Thing is, De Jong is like exactly the profile we need at DM, so that's even more annoying that he apparently doesn't want to come. It's understandable that he doesn't want to leave Barca though, as they are bouncing their way back and he's probably going to inherit the Busquets spot one day.

Re: Timber, everyone look very positive about him and he's a profile we don't have right now, so I think we really shouldn't be really concerned about that "old club = fine" thing

26 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Thing is, De Jong is like exactly the profile we need at DM, so that's even more annoying that he apparently doesn't want to come.

Is De Jong at his best when he's the deepest man? He still plays alongside Busquets most of the time at Barca, right?

I'll be out watching the match with friends later, so I better get my complaining in now-

As much as I would love us to win, I'm not all that hopeful. We haven't really played well in any of our games against big sides this season, we're only getting about 1 shot in 20 on target at the moment, and Salah has been fully shit for pretty much the whole of 2022.

And on Real's side, Benzema is in the form of his career.

If we do somehow manage to win, I expect it'll go the same way as the other finals- stress, more stress, and then penalties (stress^3). I'm going to have to drink a lot.

Oh, and in case he comes on at some point, could someone post this for me after he whiffs a chance: 'Firmino is fucking shite. He shoots like someone passing a football to their toddler.' Thanks.

Obviously to counter that pessimism, Liverpool have already got a cup double, came second in the league by a point, have lost two league games all season and have been on a fantastic vein of form , even if there are complaints about performance. 

Real have really scraped to the final, haven’t really deserved to win any of their previous games, Benzema has pulled them out of a hole so many times. 

You can never count against Real winning in Europe, but there are so many reasons why Liverpool should win tonight. 

Archived