Top Gun 2: Greatest Cinematic Event of the New Millennium

Veltigar

I'm crushed. Not only is it now football, but it's all fake sweat.

They can afford real planes but real sweat is beyond the ability of this production?? What a crock.

Edited by Myrddin

21 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm crushed. Not only is it now football, but it's all fake sweat.

They can afford real planes but real sweat is beyond the ability of this production?? What a crock.

The sweat was apparently something Tony pushed for. Without his genius to animate it, they went for chemical equivalents :'( 

Ah, the '80's

On 5/20/2022 at 5:55 PM, Spockydog said:

Yup. As I said, propaganda. 

"Target of opportunity" more like. Inspired so-and-so's running to join the military after this film hit likely preceded the active recruitment program related to it. 

Still, compared to other '80's war cinema, TG wasn't nearly as insidious as most of the Vietnam war stuff that came out; which reframed the war to make America the victim and/or trucked in the POW conspiracy idiocy. This was obvious bullshit and was ultimately proven false, but that didn't stop the belief the evil VC were holding Americans in prison camps 10 years after the was was over because why not. 

48 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

You gotta respect the hustle! 

You know it. 

I rewatched the original for the first time in years yesterday. It's definitely a product of the eighties, but on the other hand it is crazy just how modern it still feels. I guess they state in that Joblo review I posted that Bruckheimer and co did their best to link it to an earlier period of American history (the 1950s as evidenced by the fashion and some of the in-film music choices) and that this decision already meant that the timelessness was built into it.

This is legitimately better than the vast majority of modern action movies and I'm actually ashamed that I haven't rewatched this more in the last couple of years. I'm also surprised by how good I found the romance in this film. Cruise and McGillis apparently did not get along and there are all the great closet jokes about the film, but I actually think the romance between the two of them works rather well.

I'm actually sad that I didn't get to see Top Gun in the theatre this time around. Every piece of shit Marvel movie that gets released is accompanied by a marathon of prior MCU films, but the Top Gun sequel is brought out without a special event like that were you can see both films one after the other. Given how great the original still looks I would have loved to see it on the big screen. 

14 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Ah, the '80's

"Target of opportunity" more like. Inspired so-and-so's running to join the military after this film hit likely preceded the active recruitment program related to it. 

Still, compared to other '80's war cinema, TG wasn't nearly as insidious as most of the Vietnam war stuff that came out; which reframed the war to make America the victim and/or trucked in the POW conspiracy idiocy. This was obvious bullshit and was ultimately proven false, but that didn't stop the belief the evil VC were holding Americans in prison camps 10 years after the was was over because why not. 

+ Given the overt homo-erotic undertone of the original Top Gun, this probably counts as the most inclusive piece of propaganda ever produced by any branch of the US Military.

Just more reasons to love Top Gun @Spockydog

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Judging by the lines they've lifted for the radio ads, this is going to every bit as good as the original. 

"If you think up there, you're ded."

Oh, fuck off. 

Up there is the Danger Zone B)

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

This is legitimately better than the vast majority of modern action movies and I'm actually ashamed that I haven't rewatched this more in the last couple of years. I'm also surprised by how good I found the romance in this film. Cruise and McGillis apparently did not get along and there are all the great closet jokes about the film, but I actually think the romance between the two of them works rather well.

If Berlin's, "Take My Breath Away" isn't one of the greatest 80s love ballads, then what was the point of all of it...?

7 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

In addition to Danger Zone, I'm also looking for another rendition of Great Balls of Fire.

WarGalley!  Ya big stud!  Take me to bed or lose me forever!!!!

No love for Heaven in Your Eyes?

Guys? 

Ok, aside from the afore mentioned Danger Zone and Take My Breath Away, I want to add the Top Gun Anthem as a must have in the movie (not just the trailer), updated or not.