Top Gun 2: Greatest Cinematic Event of the New Millennium

Veltigar

16 hours ago, Myrddin said:

No love for Heaven in Your Eyes?

Guys? 

Ok, aside from the afore mentioned Danger Zone and Take My Breath Away, I want to add the Top Gun Anthem as a must have in the movie (not just the trailer), updated or not.

I nominate Kenny Loggins' Playing With The Boys as the ultimate Top Gun song :P 

13 hours ago, IlyaP said:

BOB?!

This is one of the biggest questions I have for the new film. Tonight will see them answered :D 

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This man's fury can only be quenched with butts. 

He demands them. He must have them.

Must be nice for you to finally find a character like that to relate to :P

18 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If Berlin's, "Take My Breath Away" isn't one of the greatest 80s love ballads, then what was the point of all of it...?

Love that song. 

18 hours ago, dbunting said:

This definitely fits into the "see it on as big of a screen as possible" category.

Talk to me Goose

Apparently the CEO of IMAX tried to stop the studio from moving the film because he was so impressed with the film:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2573551/tom-cruise-moved-top-gun-maverick-2022-imax-head-honcho-tried-stop-them-paramount

I usually skip IMAX because it is a scam, but as Top Gun 2 was actually shot to be seen in this format I'm making an exception.

I went to see it yesterday and it was amazing. Especially in IMAX. I posted a long review on the Watched thread instead of here mainly because I feel quite evangelical about it. It's as great as advertised so I want as many people as possible to see it.

Should I convert this to a spoiler thread?

In the meanwhile, one mild spoiler about the atmosphere of the film for @Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Spoiler

It is strangely enough not as gay as the original. Nobody seemed to be looking for butts.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

:laugh:

They work rather well together. Fun video :) 

Edited by Veltigar

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

In the meanwhile, one mild spoiler about the atmosphere of the film for @Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Hide contents

It is strangely enough not as gay as the original. Nobody seemed to be looking for butts.

Did no one "buzz the tower"? Oh, next you're going to tell me no one loves mom and apple pie. 

Actually, considering what's happened in the interval, it's a virtual certainty that several of those aviators are actually gay.  

If I want to stream Top Gun for my son before we go see the new one, where's it hiding out there?

I don't know that my VHS player is still functional... :D

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

If I want to stream Top Gun for my son before we go see the new one, where's it hiding out there?

Get ready to enjoy Meg Ryan at her maximum cuteness.

Also, keep a white hand towel nearby since everyone sweating in the movie may induce you to sweat too.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:02 AM, Veltigar said:

Lies! All damn lies :P I think the honest trailer of the film gives the best assessment of the original film:

Holy cow! They actually gave them a decent and complete fun review! “Discount Burt Reynolds” lmao

edit: will definitely go the see it. It’s one of the few movies I’m looking forward to this summer.

Edited by TormundsWoman

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Tracking. I miss tracking. There was something so satisfying about tracking.

Sigh....... Tracking. 

ETA: Also pausing. If you had a VCR that could pause "clean"; Dad knew he got a good deal on this doodad, boy howdy.  

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I saw Top Gun: "The Maverick" today...

I went to some insane theater with a seriously powerful sound system and leather recliners that vibrated with the boomier parts of the soundtrack. Fantastico.

... With my brother who is a former Air Force technician who worked on CF-18's, which are somewhat sexier than the American F-18's but somewhat less sexy than the F-18E super hornets in the film. He reports that:

Spoiler

...Enemy territory is somewhere in Iran British Columbia and He's familiar with that low altitude desert location in the training portion. He's flown shotgun in both of those locations (or whatever they call the rear set in a 2 seat F-18).

...And the technical accuracy of the film is pretty good. For example, the button on the stick they press to exceed the G-force limit the plane will allow to keep from bending itself like a pretzel; totally real.

As for the film itself, Jesus Christ that last 45 minutes was intense. Wow.

I'm calling it right now: Oscar nomination for VFX and a likely Oscar win for film editing. 

Also watched it today, on a large screen, which enhances the movie. Pretty good for a almost 40 year old sequel. I read a review with 3 former Top Gun graduates who said its pretty accurate. They of course recognized flaws like Maverick riding the elevator with the jets but overall spot on. The other major flaw was call signs, the said most of them are not flattering like Cougar and Wolf...usually its a nickname you don't like based on something you screwed up.

Watched it last night, that was pretty good, maybe even better than I thought going in.

Its very predictable, thats the downside, I really could see so much coming towards the end.

But visually its a memorable spectacle.

What I was most curious about is what kind of plane Cruise is flying as Darkstar at the start, something very differen from the F-18's, and if such a thing really exists.

I love the fact that so far everyone who has seen it seems to adore the film

it also made a cool 248 million USD on its opening weekend, so Cruise proves that he still has pulling power and that a good film sells itself.

I hope he’ll use his rejuvenated fortunes for the better and get some cool stuff made.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:22 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

it is a nice review but quite spoilery I feel. I don’t like it when reviewers do that.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, dbunting said:

Also watched it today, on a large screen, which enhances the movie. Pretty good for a almost 40 year old sequel. 

Apparently this holds the record for the longest waiting period for a sequel ever.

I've finally seen it and greatly enjoyed it. I felt all those maneuvers and Gs. It's more emotional that the first one, and the extremely well done visuals definitely makes it look better. I mentioned that on a recent re-watch of the original I didn't really like the love affair, but in this case the romantic relationship was more adult, I suppose a bit more appropriate to the times.

I agree that it was fairly predictable, though I wasn't sure who was going to die if any.

Spoiler

It was bittersweet to see Val Kilmer and killing off his character like this was sad.

The F-14 was a massive Chekov's gun though I wasn't sure how it was going to be used until they started training for the mission and it was clear that the duo at the heart of the movie were going to get shot down and escape with the F-14.

Just like with its predecessor, the movie treaded lightly on who the baddies were; this time, thanks to good CGI tech, they could actually give the enemy fighters a unique shape rather than just a paint job. I love that they kept calling them 5th Gen fighters without an actual name; they look based off what the Chinese have without making them look exactly like that.

Not sure why the mission couldn't use F-35s. I think there was a quick mention of those planes during the initial briefing but no clear explanation as to why go with the Hornets.

I kept thinking why did they choose this Star Wars like mission. I suppose, like it's mentioned a few times throughout the movie, the time of ace fighter pilots is coming to an end. In reality, a drone strike would/should have been more feasible.

The movie will definitely be at awards shows for the technical stuff. Lady Gaga's song might get a nomination at the Oscars, too. It's quite good and the Oscars have loved her recently.