Top Gun 2: Greatest Cinematic Event of the New Millennium

Veltigar

This might be a film best experienced in the theater. 

I showed TG to my teenagers at homee before going to see TG:M and they were only slightly entertained with it. But they really enjoyed TG:M. Something about those planes on the big screen is just amazing.

All that just to plug: Please contribute to my GoFundMe so I can get a larger screen TV.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Myrddin said:

All that just to plug: Please contribute to my GoFundMe so I can get a larger screen TV.

I'm keeping an eye on UST projector and ambient light rejecting screen technology myself. 120 inches, Mellon Farmer! That's my dream. 

The way I see it, that stuff is roughly where flatscreens were about 10 years ago in relation to the price/performance curve. In a year or two I'll probably pull the trigger. 

35 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That recessed console for the black one was really sharp looking.

For reference, spin the clock back 5 years and the new hotness was the Sony VPL-VZ1000ES:

• 77 lbs.
  • Almost 1 meter wide.
  • 2500 Lumens.
  • No HDR
  • $25k (screen not included)

I don't really know the minutia of chips/lasers/lenses, but I suspect the next big thing will be wide projectors with multiple projection elements. i.e. instead of one lens or whatever in the middle of the box you'll have an array of two or more. Then you'll see screens approaching 200".

I've faithfully used an Acer projector onto a 116" screen for years. I love it. The image is not as crisp as a 4k 60" screen but the sheer size makes for an amazing experience for movies and sports. I've wanted a 4k projector for years and the prices are becoming more achievable. It's not the best experience having a loud projector on a small shelf unit right next to my living room table, so those UST projectors are very inviting. I'm not sure they're in my limited budget, so I'd likely continue with a high quality traditional throw projector. 

Black Friday looms, and if I find a terrific deal (God bless Slickdeals) I will finally pull the trigger. Alas the truly great 4k projectors are still like $2k up simply because of the sheer engineering difficulty of fitting so many pixels on tiny lenses to project.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Black Friday looms, and if I find a terrific deal (God bless Slickdeals) I will finally pull the trigger.

It isn't an option for me because I don't have the disposable cash at the moment. And I'll probably move soon so it wouldn't make much sense to put one of these up only to take it down in 6 months.

If those weren't considerations, I would be "this close" to pulling the trigger. IMO, This space is still evolving pretty quickly, so I would wait 1-2 years. This combination from Epson at this price point would have been alien technology a year ago. Guaranteed you're going to see significantly new/improved technology emerge and existing technology come down in price. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good movie.  Why the hell would they use fighters to deliver those payloads?  Why not cruise missiles that don’t have to worry about G-forces, SAMs, or getting the pilots home alive?  How did the “enemy nation” get construction equipment into the caldera of an extinct volcano without building a road?  

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why the hell would they use fighters to deliver those payloads?  Why not cruise missiles that don’t have to worry about G-forces, SAMs, or getting the pilots home alive? 

Do cruise missiles feel the need for speed? I don't think so!!! And the enemy had jamming technology. (Raspberry I think)

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How did the “enemy nation” get construction equipment into the caldera of an extinct volcano without building a road?  

Tunnels. Dug by small, overalls-wearing yellow creatures.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Good movie.  Why the hell would they use fighters to deliver those payloads?  Why not cruise missiles that don’t have to worry about G-forces, SAMs, or getting the pilots home alive?  How did the “enemy nation” get construction equipment into the caldera of an extinct volcano without building a road?  

Listen, if the DoD isn't asking these questions what gives you the right eh?