Top Gun 2: Greatest Cinematic Event of the New Millennium

Veltigar

@Raja Some movies warrant digging deep to find philosophical treasure. Other movies are just fun fluff. I find people taking to online forums asking why TG:M isn't deeper are digging in the wrong mine (ie the same mine as the original). 

A movie being fluff doesn't detract from its entertainment value. TG:M dos it in a surprisingly satisfactory way. It returned what the trailer promised.

My personal opinion, of course.  

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

@Raja Some movies warrant digging deep

I do not think talking about a central aspect of the third act of a movie is 'digging deep'. I never asked why TGM isn't deeper, I stated that having nobodies be the antagonist in the last third of the film reduced the stakes for me and made it feel like a simulation which had no stakes, and that reduced my enjoyment of the film.

And you keep going back to 'trailer promised', as if that is supposed to mean anything. I don't watch trailers of movies I'm going to watch.

Imo, fans of a movie being so insecure in their fandom that they cannot handle criticism of the film is childish, unless all you can handle in threads about film & tv is people lauding the film ( and there's plenty of that in this thread) before you start telling people 'stop thinking' 'you bought the ticket to the wrong movie' etc.

Edited by Raja

20 minutes ago, Raja said:

Imo, fans of a movie being so insecure in their fandom that they cannot handle criticism of the film is childish, unless all you can handle in threads about film & tv is people lauding the film ( and there's plenty of that in this thread) before you start telling people 'stop thinking' 'you bought the ticket to the wrong movie' etc.

Not insecure. Amused.

But carry on.

So now that we have the criticisms out of the way, when do we meet for the human sacrifice due to our lord and savior Tom Cruise for giving us Top Gun 2? :P

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I do not think talking about a central aspect of the third act of a movie is 'digging deep'. I never asked why TGM isn't deeper, I stated that having nobodies be the antagonist in the last third of the film reduced the stakes for me and made it feel like a simulation which had no stakes, and that reduced my enjoyment of the film.

Okay, I can think up two bullshit reasons why the enemy is faceless in this film:

1. It is a demonstration of the flexibility of capitalism. If Iran (the clear inspiration for the antagonists in this film) all of a sudden turns democratic, the people there can watch Top Gun 2 without feeling uneasy about rooting for someone to shoot down Iranian planes.
  2. The antagonists are faceless, because they are irrelevant. In essence, a core theme of the Top Gun universe is the belief in American exceptionality and thus by extension the fact that America's greatest (and indeed only real) enemy is... America itself. The conflict with the enemy therefore only serves as a canvas or background upon which the true battle for America's soul is fought. 

EDIT: I actually pressed send before this post was ready. Anyways, I could elaborate on the bullshit reasons (in particular, I like explanation 2) but I suspect the real reason for the enemies being faceless comes from the fact they were also not named in Top Gun.

Not sure what the calculation was like back in 1986, but I guess back then it wouldn't have been a great sight for the Navy to have sponsored a "propaganda" film that ended with the heroes shredding a bunch of Soviet/DPRK/Warsaw Pact pilots.

Edited by Veltigar

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Also unrelated, but Cobra Kai just threw its hat in the ring for best Top Gun homage :rofl:

It should also receive points for good continuity. In the previous season Carmen and Johnny talked about TG, where she confessed her crush on Cruise, while Johnny favored Iceman.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It should also receive points for good continuity. In the previous season Carmen and Johnny talked about TG, where she confessed her crush on Cruise, while Johnny favored Iceman.

I don't recall that, but good to know XD

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I mean, he's a Scientologist. I'm sure this has already happened :lol:

The more you sacrifice though, the better it becomes. Isn't that how it works?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally saw this -- it was not worth the $6.99 rental. Felt like fanfic or a TV movie version of Top Gun. The homage/flashbacks were painful to watch -- "hey audience, THIS is why this scene is significant. 'member this? 'member this?"

2 hours ago, Week said:

Finally saw this -- it was not worth the $6.99 rental. Felt like fanfic or a TV movie version of Top Gun. The homage/flashbacks were painful to watch -- "hey audience, THIS is why this scene is significant. 'member this? 'member this?"

Booooooooo

2 hours ago, Week said:

This is really making me want to see the movie now!

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Booooooooo

Sorry! For example, I found the piano sing-along (and his attire and his call-sign) was very cringe. As was the Iceman TTS scene.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

No "Take My Breath Away" = worse soundtrack.

100% 

Also, Charlie >> Penny. Jennifer Connelly was charming but a wasted character.

I've seen it this Saturday and quite enjoyed it. For someone who liked the first one there's nothing about the second one not to like. Sure, it's not some cinematic masterpiece that will live forever in memories of generations of cinema fans, but it's a fun way to spend 2 hours and sometimes that's all you can ask of a movie.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

What? Blah. Both of those scenes were excellent, especially in what it meant to Mav.

Welp. Didn't hit for me*. Oh well - glad others enjoyed it.

*Additional context, it's my Dad's favorite movie and one of mine too (at least for awhile). So, I've probably seen Top Gun at least 30 times (starting before I could talk).