Jump to content

Top Gun 2: Greatest Cinematic Event of the New Millennium


Veltigar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I  haven't seen the sequel yet, but I might go to the theaters for it.  I find that I am kind of happy for Tom Cruise.  Despite unrelenting negative publicity about his personal life for the last 20 years since his divorce from Nicole Kidman, he has continued to make movies, most that made money, and be what I presume to be the extremely eccentric person he is.  He's continued on, ignoring all the negatives, on some level, even if he is weird, a scientologist, a bad father, that is sort of admirable.  I'm glad he's gotten a bookend what seems to be a huge hit at the end of his career.

I rewatched TG on Netflix.  LOL.  Peak 80s. What else is there to say about it.   But, it is what it is, and as that, it works.  I had not remembered the sweat, so strange.  I had not forgotten how hadsome Val was, but wow, he really was incredibly handsome and charismatic, more so than Tom and that is saying something.

Edited by Cas Stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Reports saying that the movie has broken the US Memorial Day weekend box office record, with 160.5 mil opening. 

Edit: edited the figure based on a Deadline article.

Edited by Corvinus85
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

  I'm glad he's gotten a bookend what seems to be a huge hit at the end of his career.

I’m curious when exactly he’ll end his career given he’s been doing action movies for the last couple of decades. At some point he’s going to get too old for the stunts he does but he doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all. I wonder if he’d even be interested in going back to dramatic roles like he did in the 80s or like Jerry Maguire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Reports saying that the movie has broken the US Memorial Day weekend box office record, with 160.5 mil opening. 

Edit: edited the figure based on a Deadline article.

That lines up with what Box office mojo are reporting. That figure is for the 4 days (Friday to Monday).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2500036097/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Note: that $300m world wide figure does not include China. The film hasn't opened there yet. Apparently the Chinese censors have a problem with a patch or a sticker related to Taiwan or something.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I’m curious when exactly he’ll end his career given he’s been doing action movies for the last couple of decades. At some point he’s going to get too old for the stunts he does but he doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all. I wonder if he’d even be interested in going back to dramatic roles like he did in the 80s or like Jerry Maguire.

Yeah, there was a time where he did the 'small' movies that balanced out the big action flicks, but he hasn't done that in a looong time.  He's probably already too old to do his own stunts, I mean, he's 59.  I've been surprised that Mission Impossible continues to chug along since those movies to me are horrible, worse than Marvel, but they go on and on.  

And I say again, good for Tom that he refused to do a streaming opening, and stuck to the old fashioned theaterial opening for the old fashioned throw back movie and the gods appear to have rewarded him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

And I say again, good for Tom that he refused to do a streaming opening, and stuck to the old fashioned theaterial opening for the old fashioned throw back movie and the gods appear to have rewarded him.

I assume it wasn't just my theater, but I liked the thank you message from Cruise at the beginning of the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha, I didn't know that about the Tom Cruise message.  Another nice, old school touch.  The whole roll out really is like something from 1995-2005, with a lot of focus on legacy media for months before release.  I like it. It's not one of my favorite genres, but I am glad it is succeeding if only to show that such things can still succeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, there was a time where he did the 'small' movies that balanced out the big action flicks, but he hasn't done that in a looong time.  He's probably already too old to do his own stunts, I mean, he's 59.  I've been surprised that Mission Impossible continues to chug along since those movies to me are horrible, worse than Marvel, but they go on and on.  

Oh he's still doing his own stunts. Pretty sure the whole Top Gun cast were inside the actual planes (though not actually doing the flying).

In the last Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 trailer, there's a shot of Cruise riding a motorcycle off a cliff. That's most likely him doing it considering he clipped himself to the outside of a plane that was taking off in one of the previous movies. MI: Dead Reckoning Part 2 appears to be the final film of the Mission Impossible franchise but studios aren't going to stop making Cruise-led action movies especially with Top Gun 2 being his highest-earning movie in his career.

Edited by WarGalley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Oh he's still doing his own stunts. Pretty sure the whole Top Gun cast were inside the actual planes (though not actually doing the flying).

In the last Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 trailer, there's a shot of Cruise riding a motorcycle off a cliff. That most likely him doing it considering he clipped himself to the outside of a plane that was taking off in one of the previous movies. MI: Dead Reckoning Part 2 appears to be the final film of the Mission Impossible franchise but studios aren't going to stop making Cruise-led action movies especially with Top Gun 2 being his highest-earning movie in his career.

Yes, I know he still does his own stunts, I meant that he is already too old to be doing that and should have given that up probably 5 years ago. But, again I commend him for his sheer force of will in the stunts and everything else about this film.

Edited by Cas Stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I assume it wasn't just my theater, but I liked the thank you message from Cruise at the beginning of the movie.

It's something they have been doing since the covid shut down, at least for the bigger movies. I've seen similar openings with the stars for other ones. Nice touch.

I went to a Friday matinee, work schedule necessitated it, and it was mostly empty. I have an app so I can check what seats are sold and pick mine and I usually check like three showings for three days and see what is mostly open and all the showings were like that. It must have picked up after I saw it. Saw plenty of friends on social media went and loved it, two different ones have gone twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Oh he's still doing his own stunts. Pretty sure the whole Top Gun cast were inside the actual planes (though not actually doing the flying).

In the last Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 trailer, there's a shot of Cruise riding a motorcycle off a cliff. That most likely him doing it considering he clipped himself to the outside of a plane that was taking off in one of the previous movies. MI: Dead Reckoning Part 2 appears to be the final film of the Mission Impossible franchise but studios aren't going to stop making Cruise-led action movies especially with Top Gun 2 being his highest-earning movie in his career.

Apparently The last MI film (the one with Henry Cavill; I don't know that frachise) there's an actual shot of Cruise shattering his ankle that actually made it into the film.

And Tug Speedman can't even cry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Apparently The last MI film (the one with Henry Cavill; I don't know that frachise) there's an actual shot of Cruise shattering his ankle that actually made it into the film.

And Tug Speedman can't even cry. 

I understood that reference.

The shot made it because Cruise kept going as he didn't want to re-do the scene.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I don't know how I totally missed the "Thank you" message but I did. Was it basically text on the screen or was it actually Cruise on camera thanking the audience? 

It was Cruise talking directly to the audience.  Ran after the trailers and before the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Loved it. Like another poster here said: it was all about the sound! lol

I went to a theater that had Dolby Digital Surround and the sound blew the pants off me! Kidding :D The sound was booming the chairs away though and when the planes were revving their engines I could feel my spine vibrating. 

I enjoyed the callbacks to the original movie: girlfriend house by the beach, motorcycle ride, bros rivalry established etc. 

Where was the beach volleyball tho?!?! Seriously? I do get that the whole football scene was meant for team building, which would not have played well for beach volleyball.

However, Maverick stands on its own. Has a solid storyline and decent acting. The only thing that was overwhelming for me was the info dump on Maverick’s love interest and their history (which just seemed to come out of nowhere), but other than that, I was thoroughly entertained.

Edited by TormundsWoman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...