James Webb Telescope

LynnS

13 hours ago, JGP said:

First time for everything. Lots of excitement about it from what I gather. Really going to help suss out goldilock planets. 

I am very excited!  This is next level stuff.  I was excited with Voyager and Hubble but this will be astonishing.  We will be able to see farther back into the early universe.  They will be looking at planetary nebulae, supernova, galaxies with active galactic nucleus and planet hunting.  I'm sure there will be quite a few interesting public science projects.  

On 6/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, LynnS said:

That will be really interesting.  I spent quite a bit of time looking at spectra of stars and galaxies for Galaxy Zoo.  But I never saw one for a planet.

I've seen many exoplanet spectra and they're all trash :lol: The exoplanet atmosphere community has been in a holding pattern for a decade waiting for JWST, it should be really exciting to see the improved resolution!

10 hours ago, Starkess said:

I've seen many exoplanet spectra and they're all trash :lol: The exoplanet atmosphere community has been in a holding pattern for a decade waiting for JWST, it should be really exciting to see the improved resolution!

I was looking online at a few.  They are garbage.  How are you involved with the exoplanet community? Are you doing research?

Edit:  I just looked at your website! Question answered. :D

Hey! Check out Nora's youtube channel!

Edited by LynnS

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

I was looking online at a few.  They are garbage.  How are you involved with the exoplanet community? Are you doing research?

Edit:  I just looked at your website! Question answered. :D

Hey! Check out Nora's youtube channel!

Thanks! Yep, I just finished my PhD in astrophysics with a focus on exoplanets. I'm leaving academia now, however, and looking for roles in science communication. I love research, I just didn't really want to do the whole professor route.

2 hours ago, Starkess said:

Thanks! Yep, I just finished my PhD in astrophysics with a focus on exoplanets. I'm leaving academia now, however, and looking for roles in science communication. I love research, I just didn't really want to do the whole professor route.

Too late now, Nora.  We know there is an astrophysicist in the house.  There will be questions!  :D

9 hours ago, Starkess said:

NASA announced today what the images will be on Tuesday -- Carina Nebula, WASP-96 b spectrum, Southern Ring Nebula, Stephan's Quintet, and SMACS 0723. Five (!) is more than I was expecting, I cannot wait! Should be really cool!

A couple of questions:

- What should we expect to see in the spectrum for WASP 96 b?  I'm assuming some clear absorption and emission lines rather than just noise.

- What are we looking at in the photos of SMACS 0723?  It looks like an outer ring of starforming galaxies and a lot of very distant galaxies far into the redshift.