James Webb Telescope

LynnS

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Was the planet atmospheric spectrum reveal the first one? I tuned it right when they were starting to talk about it.

It was the second image that was shown today.  The first was the deep field image we saw yesterday.  

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2022/07/Exoplanet_WASP-96_b_NIRISS_transmission_spectrum

2 hours ago, JGP said:

Spectrum analyses of Io and Europa already maybe? Wouldn't that be something.

I have to get rid of the popcorn in my house. 

I'm very eager to see these.  I suppose they will offer some sort of baseline for comparison with similar exoplanets.  I'm gobsmacked that they can take a measurement of an exoplanet transiting it's sun without the spectrum being contaminated by the spectrum of the star it orbits.   Unless it is and they remove the star's spectrum from the data.  

Something similar can happen with the spectra for binary stars.  In white dwarf/red dwarf binaries, sometimes the measurement for both stars is combined.

That won't be an issue for spectra of our local planets.

When I was in school, I always looked forward to having astronomy classes. The problem was that those classes were few and far between during my education. I had it in 2nd grade, then in eighth grade, then during freshman year, then that was it. The rest of my science classes were about geology, chemicals, biology, and nature. Boo. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, JGP said:

@Starkess Has been conspicuously absent. Preparing a podcast [link pls] collapsed on floor strewn with prints and data?

Unfortunately I was traveling this week to give a talk at a conference. It's been a bit chaotic! But I did carve out some time to watch the reveal livestreams, and these images are AMAAAAZING. Like I knew they would be from what everyone had said about the JWST's performance, but it's truly awe-inspiring.

I'd love to make some more in depth coverage but I'm not sure when that will be as I just finally got home and tomorrow is my fiance's birthday and we're doing our engagement photos...phew life really does come at ya!

On 7/12/2022 at 2:34 PM, LynnS said:

I'm very eager to see these.  I suppose they will offer some sort of baseline for comparison with similar exoplanets.  I'm gobsmacked that they can take a measurement of an exoplanet transiting it's sun without the spectrum being contaminated by the spectrum of the star it orbits.   Unless it is and they remove the star's spectrum from the data.  

Yes, exactly! For a transmission spectrum, they do differential spectroscopy, which basically means taking a spectrum during the transit and taking a spectrum out of the transit and dividing them out, leaving behind the planetary signal. (Obviously it's a lot harder than that makes it sound!)

7 hours ago, Starkess said:

I'd love to make some more in depth coverage but I'm not sure when that will be as I just finally got home and tomorrow is my fiance's birthday and we're doing our engagement photos...phew life really does come at ya!

It does, and congratulations on that. That is also good stuff :)

---

I know the universe is big, still stretching, fast too, but this looking back keeps blowing me away. JWST is expected to get us somewhere from 100 to 250 million years from daunting, and another reminder of light's constant. It's such a trippy, positive note and it makes me glad to have that. The JWST has what, 20 years? Is that enough for a full background? 

And, since the Condescending Prick Cup hasn't been awarded yet, if you look into the history of that name, James Web, and think about what this telescope is going to deepen of our understanding of the universe? Feels like having that stamp on this project shouldn't stand. Nope.  

Edited by JGP

The BBC Horizon team have released an hour-long documentary. It's screening in the UK tonight, and should be available on the iplayer.

I knew we wouldn't have to wait too long. Thank the universe for NASA and the BBC!

Super Telescope: Mission to the Edge of the Universe

The inside story of the James Webb Space Telescope, following the Nasa team building the £8 billion device and the scientists taking its first image of distant stars and galaxies.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:52 PM, Spockydog said:

The BBC Horizon team have released an hour-long documentary. It's screening in the UK tonight, and should be available on the iplayer.

I knew we wouldn't have to wait too long. Thank the universe for NASA and the BBC!

Super Telescope: Mission to the Edge of the Universe

The inside story of the James Webb Space Telescope, following the Nasa team building the £8 billion device and the scientists taking its first image of distant stars and galaxies.

I watched and enjoyed this. 

It brought home for me the sheer scale of the project, the amount of time and money and brainpower from some of the smartest people on earth poured in to making this incredibly ambitious task a reality. And on the one hand that left me with a sense of wonder and hope for what humanity can achieve, and I mean obviously it's cool to see these incredible pictures of the universe which I'm sure there's real scientific merit to, though I'm a bit too dumb to really understand what, but on the other hand I have to wonder: if you took all those geniuses who've dedicated their lives for decades to this project, and the billions of dollars of funding they had and pointed them at climate change or any number of other pressing issues down here on earth how much tangible good could've been achieved?

11 hours ago, Poobah said:

I watched and enjoyed this. 

It brought home for me the sheer scale of the project, the amount of time and money and brainpower from some of the smartest people on earth poured in to making this incredibly ambitious task a reality. And on the one hand that left me with a sense of wonder and hope for what humanity can achieve, and I mean obviously it's cool to see these incredible pictures of the universe which I'm sure there's real scientific merit to, though I'm a bit too dumb to really understand what, but on the other hand I have to wonder: if you took all those geniuses who've dedicated their lives for decades to this project, and the billions of dollars of funding they had and pointed them at climate change or any number of other pressing issues down here on earth how much tangible good could've been achieved?

Probably not that much, to be honest. Yes it's billions of dollars, but billions spread out over many years. It's a very insignificant compared to the national budgets of every country involved. Also "geniuses" (a nebulous term to begin with) are not interchangeable. Someone with a passion and talent for astronomy may not have that same for climate science or Earth science. 

Also those billions weren't just launched into space with the telescope. They went into the economy, paying people's wages and buying materials, etc. 

Science is not a zero sum game. Advances in one field don't have to be pitted against potential advances in another field, and new cross-field applications are being thought up all the time.

Also a great deal of money has been and is being spent on investigating climate change and ways to ameliorate it. Though possibly not as much has has been spent obfuscating it. Not to mention hounding and ridiculing climate change scientists.

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

Science is not a zero sum game. Advances in one field don't have to be pitted against potential advances in another field, and new cross-field applications are being thought up all the time.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled at Zooinverse for any calls for citizen participation in any cool science projects.  Quasar hunting?