UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Except of course it is a mischaracterisation of what Maclean said.. so how is Burley schooling anyone when she's talking rubbish?

1: Not a mischaracterisation.

2: How can Liz Truss say it is when she’s not even seen the interview, and admits as much??

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Except of course it is a mischaracterisation of what Maclean said.. so how is Burley schooling anyone when she's talking rubbish?

Because she pointed out that the person who said it hadn't actually heard it, so couldn't possibly know if it was mischaracterisation or not. 

Yeah, instead of paraphrasing, she should have quoted Maclean verbatum. 

"Over the long term we need to have a plan to grow the economy and make sure that people are able to protect themselves better - whether that is by taking on more hours or moving to a better paid job." 

What about people like me, who aren't even allowed to have a single part-time job on top of our caring responsibilities? 

I guess shallow and vague is better than callow and cruel.

Taking on more hours, as in moving from a zero hour contract to a consistent permanent 40hr week would be great (or even better a 35hr week paying well enough to live on), and being given the opportunity to gain skills and qualifications through free or subsidized education and training in order to get a better paid job would also be brilliant. And a charitable reading of the quote could have you believe she meant these things. The question though is whether the form of the current govt suggests that is the correct reading of the quote or whether it was a soundbite devoid of any real meaning or intent.

I think the truth of it lies in the first phrase "over the long term we need to have a plan" basically there's no plan and there probably won't be one for some time, if ever. Or rather the plan seems to be nothing more than the final phrase: take on more hours or get a better job".

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

"Over the long term we need to have a plan to grow the economy and make sure that people are able to protect themselves better

I think this is the key bit of what she is saying here, which tends to get ignored, cut out or misrepresented. The Conservative position is that if you want to improve peoples lives you need to have a functioning, successful economy, as well as a flexible job market that allows people to increase their income through work.
Of course Burley skips that all out, she knows exactly what is being said, but it doesn't make a headline for someone to say something so bland and uncontroversial. 

Unfortunately we don't currently have a functioning, successful economy and the way things are going its getting less functional and less successful.

Over the long term we need to solve antibiotic resistance in bacterial infections, but we really don't have a plan for that, and wishing for a plan is not helping people currently with MSRA.

6 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Unfortunately we don't currently have a functioning, successful economy and the way things are going its getting less functional and less successful.

Again, this is a big broad statement that is almost entirely meaningless if you don't get more explicit about what you mean, which maybe where the previous conversation went wrong.

Clearly the economy works in some ways and is successful, for instance the UK is the 6th largest economy on the planet. 

What I think you are suggesting is that too many people are not doing well there is an uneven spread of wealth. That is clearly an issue especially geographically, though the north south divide in the UK has been a thing since the Normans, maybe even before, and most economies are struggling with large urban centres gobbling up all the wealth. 

But then going back to Macleans comment, she said something entirely bland, that we want to have a better functioning economy, which we do. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I think this is the key bit of what she is saying here, which tends to get ignored, cut out or misrepresented. The Conservative position is that if you want to improve peoples lives you need to have a functioning, successful economy, as well as a flexible job market that allows people to increase their income through work.
Of course Burley skips that all out, she knows exactly what is being said, but it doesn't make a headline for someone to say something so bland and uncontroversial. 

More vague Tory waffle from Maclean which ignores that after 12 years in power, the Tories need more than “we need a plan.” And ignores that they’ve spent the past 6 years implementing Brexshit, which has done little but clog up the arteries of British trade.

All so gammons can wave the bunting and millionaires can continue to hide wealth offshore.

The only “practical” advice she gave was to work longer or get a better job.

38 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

we want to have a better functioning economy, which we do. 

This is a big broad statement that is almost entirely meaningless if you don't get more explicit about what you mean.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

17.4 million cretinous c***s and gammons makes you wonder why a few people here don’t don’t just leave. Must be very painful.

Losing freedom of movement with thr EU hasn’t helped. And I’n Scottish, so there’s a fair chance I’ll be “leaving” the UK without the hassle of my wife and I having to sell our home, find a new country and get jobs there, leaving friends and family behind.

Archived