UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

17.4 million cretinous c***s and gammons makes you wonder why a few people here don’t don’t just leave. Must be very painful.

Lol what?

Is this a “If you don’t like how my side is running the country leave!” Type proclamation?

Sorry a bit drowsy from lack of sleep may not be following the conversation right.:D

8 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Lol what?

Yeah, this is steering dangerously close to the popular gammon saying, 'if you don't like it here then fuck off back where you came from.' 

And ignores the fact that, because of Brexit, most of us are stuck here.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, this is steering dangerously close to the popular gammon saying, 'if you don't like it here then fuck off back where you came from.' 

And ignores the fact that, because of Brexit, most of 'em are stuck here.

Yeah that can be a bit more ugly, but such comebacks are alway bad

Not everyone has the luxury of just hopping over to another country with no significant cost whether that be monetary or personal. 

Besides instead leaving, people can stay and try to improve the place they’d like to call home.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Besides instead leaving, people can stay and try to improve the place they’d like to call home.

Which would be the preferred option. But this country is gone. Fucked. Screwed. Blown. Busted. The Tories and the right wing press have fucking wrecked it. Turned it into a disgusting cesspit of crime, lies and intolerance.

Northern Ireland is leaving the Union, soon Scotland will be, too. And with the government continuing to impose anti-democratic measures to stop people from voting, very soon it will be just be the citizens of England and Wales trapped in a perpetual Tory hellhole.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Northern Ireland is leaving the Union, soon Scotland will be, too. And with the government continuing to impose anti-democratic measures to stop people from voting, very soon it will be just be the citizens of England in Wales trapped in a disgusting Tory hellhole.

Even if that all comes to pass, remember all the suffering is worth it because vague nationalist culture war talking point. Like how are you supposed to enjoy tea from your favorite shop when there’s a polish migrant just there on his lunch break? Brexit had to happen.

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And ignores the fact that, because of Brexit, most of us are stuck here.

Look here, I know for a fact that at least one person has immigrated from the UK in the last six years so your argument about Brexit making it more difficult is just poppycock.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

the Tories need more than “we need a plan.”

Over here it is, "we need to monitor this carefully."

A currently released series production, shot in Italy under ye olde pre-Brexit rules, which included financing and other incentives,  while the new post Brexit rules came into effect, uses as a plot point how difficult now it is for Brits to travel, live and do work in the EU, since they aren't EU citizens. 

Funny how the article glosses over the fact that he travelled through at least three rich, safe countries (Malta, Italy and France). Any of them could have granted him asylum before arriving to UK.

True refugees aren't that picky. I know, because half of my family were actual refugees.

41 minutes ago, Gorn said:

True refugees aren't that picky. I know, because half of my family were actual refugees.

It's a pity that you haven't retained a shred of empathy. 'Actual refugee', what a morally bankrupt thing to say

Actual refugee?

He said the prospect of travelling to Rwanda, after fleeing Sudan via Libya, had triggered flashbacks. “I thought the UK was a good country with a lot of humanity,” he said. “I’m shocked that the Home Office is not treating me like a human being.

“I haven’t been able to sleep since I arrived here. My trauma is getting worse and I’ve been having more flashbacks about what happened to me in Sudan and Libya since I arrived in the UK. It was so hard for me to escape from Africa and now the UK government wants to send me back there.”

Mohammed said he left Sudan in January 2019 after a brutal attack by Janjaweed militia on his village. “It was horrific,” he said. “Many people were killed, girls and women were raped and others were kidnapped. Those like me who survived the massacre escaped as soon as we could.”

Here's another piece you may have glossed over from this refugee living the good life of a faux refugee:

I was controlled by traffickers in Libya. They held us in some overcrowded, underground place and forced us to do farming work,” said Mohammed. “After a year I managed to escape. Some people were shot when they tried to escape from the traffickers. Since that time in Libya I have developed a lot of breathing difficulties. I also have difficulty sleeping, suffer many flashbacks and suffer from a lot of trauma.”

So why didn't he apply for asylum as soon as he reached Malta? I am sure they have many great medical professionals to help him with his trauma. If they don't, Italy and France definitely do.

And why should he?

It's only the fairly-far right that want any obligation to seek asylum in the first safe country. International law is very clear that it's not the case. There are very good reasons why that is the case (to do with overloading those countries on the front-line).

NIMBYism at it's very, very worst, and a despicable position to hold.

22 minutes ago, Gorn said:

So why didn't he apply for asylum as soon as he reached Malta? I am sure they have many great medical professionals to help him with his trauma. If they don't, Italy and France definitely do.

Why does it matter? As has been mentioned numerous times including just above, it's not a requirement to stop in the first available country and there are several obvious reasons why someone might not want to if they feel like they have better options.

But beyond all that, the first thought anyone should have when dealing with a person in this situation is to be a decent person and try to help, not send a traumatized person back to an unsafe place and think that's good policy. 

Maybe he has family or friends in the UK who can help him. Maybe he speaks English but does not speak Maltese, Italian or French. Maybe he has some other reason. The reasons why a refugee flees to country A instead of country B aren't actually our business.

Taking in refugees is not an act of charity, where they ought to be grateful for whatever they're offered (not that that is true charity anyway). It's a duty.

The reason these questions get asked is because of the suspicion that a lot of supposed refugees are really just economic migrants. Them not settling in the first country they arrive at suggests that escaping danger has ceased to be their main priority. The fact that an overwhelming majority of them are also young working age males also raises a few eyebrows.

Countries do have a duty to provide safety to those who are fleeing persecution and danger, they have no dury to provide access to people just because they would quite like to live somwhere nice. 

Everything Mormont has said up there and also the fact that different countries decide asylum applications at different times, and someone might seek an asylum application in one country over the other because the number of pending applications are fewer in one country compared to the other.

But instead of looking at these factors, you've @Gorn come in here and decided that this person isn't an 'actual refugee', whilst completely ignoring a whole host of writing, research & evidence about people that claim asylum in Europe because you know what actual refugees are, whilst being completely flippant about a person fleeing a war.

You should really be ashamed of that post, and I hope you treat & speak about refugees in a better manner than you have in your last posts, especially if half your family are refugees.

Imagine widespread abuse of the system while millions of actual refugees spend their lives in crappy conditions in camps in Turkey and Lebanon.

Half the people who passed through my country claiming to be refugees from Syria couldn't even speak Arabic.

Archived