UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

A country has to have some sort of cap on the number of people it can let in surely? 

Pauses work better than caps imo. The former provides more flexibility for situations like we're seeing today and the latter, if we're being honest, is typically but not always pushed by the right because they want to cap the number of people coming from less desirable places. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

if we're being honest, is typically but not always pushed by the right because they want to cap the number of people coming from less desirable places. 

True. Also often there’s a fear emasculation. They don’t want to see a girl or women from their society who they feel entitlement to go out with a foreigner.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pauses work better than caps imo. The former provides more flexibility for situations like we're seeing today and the latter, if we're being honest, is typically but not always pushed by the right because they want to cap the number of people coming from less desirable places. 

A cap for refugees/asylum seekers is even worse than on general immigration (and of questionable legality, from a human rights POV).

Alternatively, is there a cap on the number of children that people can have? No? 

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Some 'i'm not racist but' energy here

Technically a lot of this economic stuff is not conservatism, but [neo]liberalism and economic Darwinism (libertarian). I can see why some such people might be offended at being called conservative. I mean, really can anyone truly call BoJo a conservative with a straight face? Though I guess Boris is whatever Boris needs to be to be of maximum benefit to Boris.

12 hours ago, Week said:

A cap for refugees/asylum seekers is even worse than on general immigration (and of questionable legality, from a human rights POV).

Alternatively, is there a cap on the number of children that people can have? No? 

We have a cap. But then no one is seriously attempting to come directly here, so all arrivals are by negotiation with refugee processing countries. Interestingly it is Australia that puts a lot of pressure on us, because as soon as someone has permanent residency status here they can freely travel to Australia to work and live.

So it turns out that the Met didn't even bother to investigate four of the parties Boris Johnson is said to have attended.

The Good Law Project have written to them again. If they do not receive a satisfactory explanation for this, they will be taken to court.

Also, just a reminder, and before anyone starts with the sneering, it was only after legal action was threatened by the GLP did the Met open their Partygate investigation in the first place. 

One of the paradoxes the Met will now have to explain is how Boris Johnson managed to legally attend parties which the police deemed to have been illegal gatherings.

They're not going to get away with this.

Moar Brexit winning!

Cambridge University astrophysicist loses space project role amid Brexit row

A Cambridge University astrophysicist studying the Milky Way and hoping to play a major part in the European Space Agency’s (Esa) next big project has been forced to hand over his coordinating role on the scheme after the row over Northern Ireland’s Brexit arrangements put science in the firing line.

Nicholas Walton, a research fellow at the Institute of Astronomy, reluctantly passed his leadership role in the €2.8m pan-European Marie Curie Network research project to a colleague in the Netherlands on Friday.

The European Commission had written notifying him UK scientists cannot hold leadership roles because the UK’s membership of the flagship £80bn Horizon Europe (HE) funding network has not been ratified.

Walton was to have led a doctoral network related to Esa’s Gaia mission that is mapping nearly 2bn stars in the Milky Way.

He is one just one of a handful of British physicists approved for a HE grant but must now take a passenger seat in his own project.

36 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

So him saying he would resign if fined ended up backfiring?

No. His handling of the entire issue has been politically naive, almost to the point of incompetence. 

That photo of Keir in his sunnies, holding a beer (and all the associated innuendo), has been doing the rounds for months. 

And, months ago, when fringe Tory balloon animals began pointing at it, instead of being unnecessarily evasive and shifty, instead of denying point blank that Angela Rayner was even in the building, instead of just nipping it in the bud by releasing the documents proving it was a work event, he allowed the Daily Mail to whip up so much of a frenzy, that when the time came to really punish Johnson and his enablers for Partygate and their evisceration in the elections, Sir Keir was left standing there with his dick in his hand. Politically speaking.

He essentially allowed Murdoch et al to keep that photo in their back pocket, only to pull it out when it was most convenient for them. 

Absolutely fucking useless. 

44 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

So him saying he would resign if fined ended up backfiring?

No. It's just that Starmer literally cannot do anything right in Spocky's eyes. Except perhaps resign, and beg Jeremy Corbyn to take over again.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

No. It's just that Starmer literally cannot do anything right in Spocky's eyes. Except perhaps resign, and beg Jeremy Corbyn to take over again.

How about instead of putting words in my mouth, you address something that I actually said.

Which aspect of my summary of Starmers handling of Beergate was unfair? Perhaps you think he did a great job handling that fiasco.... 

I would address it if there was anything of any substance to address.

Besides, I'm not here to defend Starmer. Just pointing out for the benefit of someone who might lack the context that you have a bias there.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I would address it if there was anything of any substance to address.

Besides, I'm not here to defend Starmer. Just pointing out for the benefit of someone who might lack the context that you have a bias there.

Yeah, damn right I have a bias. But, to be clear, I voted for Starmer. Then he tore up all his election pledges. And for a man whose entire political strategy appears to be based around the fact he is not Boris Johnson, that is a terrible fucking look. 

And if I thought for one second that Labour were on the right track, coming up with bold, transformative policies that will help reshape the nation, then I'd be willing to overlook all the dishonesty and broken promises.

But they are not. Under his leadership, they've done a terrible job of holding the government to account and Starmer has completely bottled his policy initiatives. 

And his handling of Beergate has been catastrophic. I don't see how anyone can credibly deny this. 

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Here we see Sir Keir getting completely outflanked on Benefits by Ian Duncan Smith, of all people.

Iain Duncan Smith calls for benefits to rise in line with inflation

Who needs to read the Daily Mail or the Daily Express when we have they Daily Spockydog to do their work criticizing Keir Starmer and Labour for them? 

Archived