UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

The Met had 500 photos as evidence. Yet only 16 included in report.

No mention, at all, of the extremely loud Abba karaoke party in Johnson's flat.

Another fucking whitewash, this time with a hint of Gray.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

I guess the lack of posts this afternoon shows that everyone was expecting this and nobody is surprised by the response 

The report, from what I can see, is weak, incomplete and while not a whitewash, definitely too reserved in what it says.

The response from Johnson was as expected, do the penitent act for five minutes until people look the other way but obviously I won't be resigning.

I remember the Major government and the reputation it got for 'sleaze'. Johnson personally has made all of that taken together look like nothing in comparison. He has no shame. No political goals other than to stay in office. No sense that anyone else matters at all. He is, as most of us knew he would be long before he became Prime Minister, a disgrace to the office, a moral cesspool, a selfish toad of a man.

So no. nothing new really.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

The report, from what I can see, is weak, incomplete and while not a whitewash, definitely too reserved in what it says.

The response from Johnson was as expected, do the penitent act for five minutes until people look the other way but obviously I won't be resigning.

I remember the Major government and the reputation it got for 'sleaze'. Johnson personally has made all of that taken together look like nothing in comparison. He has no shame. No political goals other than to stay in office. No sense that anyone else matters at all. He is, as most of us knew he would be long before he became Prime Minister, a disgrace to the office, a moral cesspool, a selfish toad of a man.

So no. nothing new really.

Had the Profumo scandal happened under Johnson’s watch, he’d be trying to brazen it out.

Johnson is the worst prime minister since at least Lord North, though North did have some successes before the American revolt and at least had the decency to resign in response to the loss. So, upon reflection, the worst ever.

Conservative MP Julian Sturdy has called for Johnson to resign and has urged other Tory MPs to do the same. I assume that means it's likely he has also submitted a letter of no confidence. Tobias Ellwood has also made a similar statement, but he's been on BJ's case for months now.

If the Tory party wants any kind of moral credibility (perhaps a big if) then they would boot Johnson out of #10 rather than call for his resignation, and not even wait to give him the chance to resign. If the country doesn't boot the Conservatives out of #10 at the next election then it would basically mean Johnson and the Conservative party were right to just ride out partygate. If breaking the law has no significant personal consequence and no electoral consequence whatsoever then there is no reason not to break the law.

Though there have been electoral consequences in terms of local body elections, but does the Westminster Conservative party care about local Conservatives? As long as they hold the keys to #10, perhaps they don't care.

My biggest takeaway from reading the report were just how many of these events they did, which makes it impossible to plead ignorance or to claim that the PM was along for the ride. Like mormont and the others have said, it's just so lacking in any morals not only from the PM, but for all the senior staff that was present.

This bit from the report jumped out to me in particular, which is all what you need to know about these people

I was made aware of multiple examples of a lack of respect and poor treatment of security and cleaning staff. This was unacceptable

Yeah, fuck the people cleaning up after your booze ups, eh?

It's such a contrast to what my life was like personally at that time that it is difficult not to think about when compared to what these people were doing. I was in a country and city where I knew absolutely no one and wasn't allowed to meet anyone for almost a year ( Leicester was under significant restrictions for quite a long time), whilst working non-stop seeing covid patients and explaining to families that they couldn't visit and having very difficult conversations on the phone. Medics did this up and down the country and it's just such a slap in the face to us & all the families and patients we dealt with.

I mean, it is only right to say good-bye to a colleague who is leaving. But it's the manner in which you say good-bye when there is a deadly pandemic happening and everyone else is banned from having good-bye booze-ups for departing colleagues that's the issue.

Would other businesses have been fined (or worse?) for having a piss up for a leaving party for a departing colleague?

We had a person retire during the pandemic who had literally worked his entire career for us. Four decades. A senior person who was a legend to our students. It never crossed our mind that a leaving party for him would be appropriate or allowed.

But then the mentality at 10 Downing Street was clearly, from Johnson on down: 'we're very important and therefore the rules don't apply to us'. And apparently it still is.

Archived