UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

Childrens TV and News are maybe the only 2 things the BBC do well, better than almost anyone else. They are quite shit at everything else but I’d be wanting to focus on those things.

Having said that, moving to online only is a natural progression for these channels, being more of an on demand service. I know my kids would rather just put the app on than watch live tv.

Ah well, if it doesn't affect you, then why should anyone else give a shit. :ack: 

So let's screw all the elderly grandparents who don't really use the internet, but look after their grandkids on a regular basis while their parents are out working three jobs just to survive.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Ah well, if it doesn't affect you, then why should anyone else give a shit. :ack: 

So let's screw all the elderly grandparents who don't really use the internet, but look after their grandkids on a regular basis while their parents are out working three jobs just to survive.

I mean it does affect me, very much so, but I don’t think it’s an issue. You are talking about a very small audience that will only continue to get smaller over time. 

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, fuck those guys.

No, not fuck those guys , but if you don’t have limitless resources then you have to prioritise where you spend, and if you look at the direction of travel then ‘pensioners who put the tv on when their grandchildren visit’ probably isn’t the enormous audience you think it is. 

Im also sure the BBC will have looked at the data and seen their terrestrial channels performing increasingly badly but iPlayer use for kids shows is very high. So logical decision 

Either way, over the next ten or so years the number of people who have little digital access will get smaller and smaller and you’ll wonder who these people are who watch terrestrial tv.. I already wonder it myself.

I also can't tell but I think they are really only moving CBBC online, but Cbeebies (the channel for younger kids) to stay on terrestrial. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284752/bbc-tv-reach-by-channel-in-the-uk/

From these stats it looks like Cbeebies was always the more popular channel, but are losing viewers quite rapidly.

Interestingly BBC four has kept its relatively smaller audience over time, and if there was a case for keeping a channel on tv I would say BBC4 would be the better candidate. I would guess it's older people watching it in general and those are the audience most likely to be digitally excluded. 

18 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The tourist part is actually profitable afaik.

People would still go to buck Palace if they were sacked off

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Childrens TV and News are maybe the only 2 things the BBC do well, better than almost anyone else. They are quite shit at everything else but I’d be wanting to focus on those things.

Having said that, moving to online only is a natural progression for these channels, being more of an on demand service. I know my kids would rather just put the app on than watch live tv.

About half of the top 25 on imdb are bbc natural history programmes. They do that better than anyone else by far. 

While in an ideal world no service or mode of provision for that service would be discontinued so long as there was one user demanding it, in practice that's not... well, practical.

But also: can we please not pretend like there is no other option for kids to entertain themselves while round their grandparents? it is not child abuse (nor elder abuse) to not have CBBC available. It's an inconvenience, not the removal of a human right.

The BBC does terrific drama.  They do mysteries better than anyone.  Often their period series are the very best too.  Ask the millions in the USA who pay to watch them streaming, or PBS helping funding them, etc.

All a sideshow however. Tnis assault on public broadcasters is actually about internet presence, influence and money.

Terrestrial TV while not quite dead yet, is certainly dying. The internet where all the action is happening. This is however a pool in which other media (likesay news papers) also play in. The public broadcasters offer a lot of their goodies free (tax payer already paid for the content). Tough luck for the private business trying to charge to customers for similar content. 

I mean, who in their right mind, would pay for a Daily Mail or Sun online video, when they can get something similar for free over at the BBC website. So whine about the unfair advantage of public broadcasters, that get their internet presence/infrastructure funded by the state. The Murdochs and the other wankers can't have that. A strong Public Broadcaster with a good free to use online service is a real threat to their business model and political influence. So they want to cut the funding  of those institutions. That's at its very core what this is about.

Same story in Germany, just different names. ARD/ZDF instead of the BBC and Axel Springer Publishing (Bild) instead of Muroch (SUN).

We in the US actually pay for BBC too, when we can, and it is streaming or a television subscription, via BBC America.

And no, we wouldn't pay for anything that Murdoch's corpses vomit up, not in print, on a screen, or 'just radio.'

We listen to the BBC here too, and $upport the programming stations that provide it.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

An incompetent, third-rate barrister, desperate to make a name for herself:

Oh conservatives are using their nonsensical culture wars as a deflection in a time they’re getting heavily criticized for their incompetence at running government.

So surprising./s

Unfortunately, this line of rhetoric will work on some bigoted idiots.

Also, given Jk Rowling has dropped even the pretense of seeing some trans women as legitimate and gotten more explicitly hostile to them and the AG still felt comfortable calling her a heroine…that’s a bad sign. Bigots should be terrified in exposing themselves their true thoughts to the public.

In another weak-ass effort to save his bacon, and presumaby to appease some of the 95% of Express-reading cretins who didn't get the Brexit of their dreams, Bozo is apparently bringing back imperial measurements, the useless fucking homunculus

Even though they never really went away. 

Archived