UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Rumours abound this morning that the 1922 letters threshold has been breached.

Even Leadsome has turned on him. It can't be long if it hasn't already been reached. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Rumours abound this morning that the 1922 letters threshold has been breached.

I saw those rumours yesterday, also suggesting that Brady won’t announce it until after the long weekend 

1 minute ago, Maltaran said:

I saw those rumours yesterday, also suggesting that Brady won’t announce it until after the long weekend 

That'll hopefully allow Bozo time to reintroduce workhouses, debtor prisons, and the bubonic plague.

UK retailers warn against switch to imperial measurements

Britain’s retailers have warned prime minister Boris Johnson that his plan to bring back imperial measures will push up the price of goods — because they would need relabelling — just as consumers are battling the worst cost of living crisis for a generation.

The British Retail Consortium, which represents some of the biggest supermarkets and retail chains in the country, said that reintroducing measurements in pounds and ounces would be a “distraction” from the huge problems facing the country.

BEIS, the business department, will launch a consultation on Friday looking at whether retailers should be able to sell products in imperial measurements rather than metric.

The move is already being dubbed as a “benefit” of Britain leaving the EU and has been embraced by some pro-Brexit politicians.

However, critics have accused ministers of producing the policy in an attempt to distract the public from the “partygate” scandal and an economic crisis caused by the surging price of energy which has left Johnson’s ruling Conservative party trailing in the opinion polls.

Andrea Martinez-Inchausti, assistant director of food at the BRC, said that supermarkets were focused on delivering the best value for money for their customers at a time of “intense” inflationary pressures. The price of groceries has risen by about 6 per cent in the past year.

“Introducing new laws to change the way we measure food and drink would both distract from this vital task, and add cost and complexity if existing products are required to be relabelled,” she said. Martinez-Inchausti pointed out that shops were already allowed to indicate imperial measures alongside metric ones.

55 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

That'll hopefully allow Bozo time to reintroduce workhouses, debtor prisons, and the bubonic plague.

That seems a little unlikely because they would each actually achieve something, bad things for most people, but something none-the-less, and that is not Johnson's form. Rather current form is simply blowing hot air as a distraction, crown stamps on pint glasses, going back to imperial when you never truly left, spouting nonsense about an alt-EU.

10 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Having family round on Friday for a BBQ.

Not for the Jubilee. Couldn’t give two shits about that. But it’s my birthday this week.

Happy birthday - hope the weather's good for you.

But then... Scotland... You might need some hope...

16 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Happy birthday - hope the weather's good for you.

But then... Scotland... You might need some hope...

I’ve kept an eye on the forecast and it looks promising 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

1400 watts for a vacuum cleaner is not enough? No matter how many watts your vac is it doesn't break the laws of physics and generate more than 15 psi of a pressure differential. 

13 minutes ago, maarsen said:

1400 watts for a vacuum cleaner is not enough? No matter how many watts your vac is it doesn't break the laws of physics and generate more than 15 psi of a pressure differential. 

Pah on your laws of physics. I'm confident that the Tories can make anything suck harder.

59 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I dunno, I made sure to buy a super powerful Dyson before they EU regulated it out of existence. My carpet is fucking clean.

Wow. More epic trolling from our political masters.

Johnson's tame standards advisor Geidt has broken his silence about Partygate. He has said that he has refrained from giving Johnson advice about his obligations under the ministerial code, because when Johnson ignores it, then he (the advisor) would be forced to resign, and that would expose the ministerial code to ridicule.

I owe Geidt an apology. I thought that he was a spineless worm with absolutely no sense of self respect. But it turns out that he is an epic performance artist.

Archived