UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

10 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Snap election?

That's what some Tory rebels fear. 

If he wins the vote narrowly, his authority is shredded, and the only way to restore it would be an election.

Johnson probably still believes he would win. The dopey twat.

Bring. It. On.

15 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I can picture Michael Gove hiding in his lair, snorting lines and hatching schemes, ready to unleash chaos from within, like the Joker.

[Insert video of Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight about him disliking schemers and him being a dog chasing cars here]

Too lazy to go on youtube for that scene between the Joker and Harvey in the Hospital now.

The only thing saving Boris, if only temporarily would be that MP talking about the Single Market, that might put the fear of god into some Tories that they’d end up with some pro remainer who actually thought the Single Market was a good idea.

Otherwise it’s really only a lack of alternatives that keeps the votes for Boris. He has basically nothing else in his pro column.

The note sent out by the Tories to whip up support for Boris was laughable.. something something low taxes, something law and order. Everyone knows he’s not got a plan for any of that. He hasn’t got a plan at all. He just wants to write his book and not be hated, and he’s already failed at one of those.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The only thing saving Boris, if only temporarily would be that MP talking about the Single Market, that might put the fear of god into some Tories that they’d end up with some pro remainer who actually thought the Single Market was a good idea.

Otherwise it’s really only a lack of alternatives that keeps the votes for Boris. He has basically nothing else in his pro column.

The note sent out by the Tories to whip up support for Boris was laughable.. something something low taxes, something law and order. Everyone knows he’s not got a plan for any of that. He hasn’t got a plan at all. He just wants to write his book and not be hated, and he’s already failed at one of those.

You actually believe he’s making any progress with his book??

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

With only 82 MP’s expressing support so far, I think he’s done for.

Boris has never cultivated a faction that likes him.  All he has is his ability to win elections, and once MP’s stop believing that he can, his support will vanish.

I think its up to about 90 now, while Ladbrokes seems to think the distribution of the number of votes against Johnson peaks somewhere in the 100-149 region (based on the odds they are offering)

0-49 - 66/1

50-99 - 3/1

100-149 - 15/8

150-199 - 2/1

200-249 - 5/1

250-299 - 16/1

300+ - 100/1

44 minutes ago, SeanF said:

With only 82 MP’s expressing support so far, I think he’s done for.

Boris has never cultivated a faction that likes him.  All he has is his ability to win elections, and once MP’s stop believing that he can, his support will vanish.

And they could could just keeping their options open, public support, private knife in the back. 

I'm so pleased it's a secret ballot. 

I would have predicted that Johnson would win, but better informed friends are predicting he'll lose. And if he loses, he'll lose big. Tory MPs are gossipy people and if it becomes clear that Johnson is going to lose, his supporters will disappear in an instant. Except for the hard core like Fabricant and Dorries.

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

I would have predicted that Johnson would win, but better informed friends are predicting he'll lose. And if he loses, he'll lose big. Tory MPs are gossipy people and if it becomes clear that Johnson is going to lose, his supporters will disappear in an instant. Except for the hard core like Fabricant and Dorries.

Guessing all those MP’s who were forced to defend the indefensible on TV only to look an idiot when the government did a U-turn five minutes later might be looking for a little payback.

He still has the support of slightly more than half of the Conservative voters, so if the MPs are tapped into that he may just barely survive (that's where I am leaning towards at this moment). If that does happen he'll end up like Theresa May though, just a husk of a PM.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Someone like Thatcher, then? ;)

Archived