UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So assuming there are enough letters there. That will lead to a vote of confidence. Wouldn't it be funny, if Johnson were to survive that and thus be unchallenegable for 6 months(?), I think.

12 months. 

A full year even. 

I see, joking about whetherTory MPs would be doing the right thing in a vote of confidence isn't playing too well with the local audience. So I probably shouldn't raise the spectre of Johnson being bulletproof for a whole year again. 

3 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

But do the Tories even have a possible alternative to Bozo? He surrounded himself with loyalists who are being exposed as incompetent nitwits so who are the top spots for Tory leadership in the case of a leadership challenge? 

I'm sure they can find a new depth to sink to.

PM Patel anyone?

All the decent, traditional tory options were purged ahead of the last election. A Rory Stewart or Dominic Grieve could be making hey right now. Hell, Jeremy Cunt looks like an improvement on anyone in the cabinet!

The Tories can't possibly expect to win an election with Boris in charge, so it has to be a case of 'anyone is better than this' and it's also probably true that Boris doesn't even want the job. If Dominic Cummings is anything to go by, Boris was bored of the job 10 minutes after winning the election and just wants to go off and write his book. He just doesn't want to leave under a cloud of shame, but I think it's too late for that now.

There is also a train of thought amongst some Tories that maybe they don't want to be in power for the next few years, because given the global picture, things are not going to be good for whoever is in charge. 

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There is also a train of thought amongst some Tories that maybe they don't want to be in power for the next few years, because given the global picture, things are not going to be good for whoever is in charge.

From time to time I see people say this about political parties in the UK, US or elsewhere, and it is always just idle chatter. Because there's never a time when political parties don't prefer being in power to not being in power. Being in power is the reason they exist. They always want to be in power. 

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

From time to time I see people say this about political parties in the UK, US or elsewhere, and it is always just idle chatter. Because there's never a time when political parties don't prefer being in power to not being in power. Being in power is the reason they exist. They always want to be in power. 

Nah man they’re playing 5D chess while we’re out here playing checkers/s

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

I know some Tories think this way, but yes when push comes to shove there is probably little appetite for being out of power. It's also not guaranteed you get straight back in either. The next Tony Blair could turn up (ps it's not gonna be Starmer)

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I know some Tories think this way,

Ah come on man you know it’s Most.

I don’t even get the logic to promote  they’re deliberately sucking so hard at running government to get booted out.

It just gives more reason to simply bar them from the reigns of power due to their malice.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The next Tony Blair could turn up (ps it's not gonna be Starmer)

Hey so, beergate do you guys still hope something comes from that anyone cares about or have you given up?

If the latter Does Starmer deserve an apology?  

If the former eh, maybe you’ll be proven right lol.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

There's only one thing worse than being in power, and that's not being in power.

Here is your Jubilee Weekend reminder that Elizabeth Windsor's family were a bunch of disgusting fucking traitors. Her uncle was a Nazi who repeatedly passed intelligence to Hitler's High Command, and her husband's uncle (along with his entire family) was also a flag-waving Nazi, who conspired with elements of the British military to remove the democratically elected government of the UK in the 1970s.

Bet you don't see any mention of this over the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Here is your Jubilee Weekend reminder that Elizabeth Windsor's family were a bunch of disgusting fucking traitors. Her uncle was a Nazi who repeatedly passed intelligence to Hitler's High Command, and her husband's father (along with his entire family) was also a flag-waving Nazi, who conspired with the British military to remove the democratically elected government of the UK in the 1970s.

Maybe cos it’s a massive so what. 

I mean her actual dad was the monarch when.. you know… we actually fought against the Nazis.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Here is your Jubilee Weekend reminder that Elizabeth Windsor's family were a bunch of disgusting fucking traitors. Her uncle was a Nazi who repeatedly passed intelligence to Hitler's High Command, and her husband's uncle (along with his entire family) was also a flag-waving Nazi, who conspired with the British military to remove the democratically elected government of the UK in the 1970s.

Not to simp for the Royal family, but this seems a tad unfair. She’s not responsible for the crimes of relatives.

Though it would be a victory for liberal democracy if the royal family had their statue revoked.

Pure fucking evil.

‘Despair’ over Rwanda deportation leading to suicide attempts, say UK charities

Charities that support asylum seekers say they are documenting a number of suicide attempts among those threatened with being sent to Rwanda.

The news comes as the home secretary, Priti Patel, has announced that the first group of asylum seekers who entered the UK without authorisation will be deported to Rwanda on 14 June.

Cases include a female Iranian asylum seeker who attempted suicide and told charity workers she took this action because she believed she faced being offshored to Rwanda. She was rescued, hospitalised and survived.

A 40-year-old Yemeni asylum seeker made a video addressed to Boris Johnson and Priti Patel stating that after he arrived in the UK on 13 April and found out about Rwanda offshoring plans he had “no other choice but to kill myself”.

The Independent reported the case of an Afghan asylum seeker detained in preparation for being offshored to Rwanda. He said he had attempted suicide to avoid being sent there.

The recent death of a young Sudanese asylum seeker in Calais on 11 May is under investigation by the French authorities. His friends told charity workers he told them he wanted to take his life because he no longer wanted to live after the announcement about Rwanda offshoring.

Clare Moseley, the chief executive of the charity Care4Calais, said the prospect of being forcibly sent to Rwanda was the final straw for people who might be traumatised.

They just did a rough breakdown on the news of the time, manpower and money spent over months to plan this party for a 96 year old who is going to skip a lot of it and my god does it sound like a massive waste. But I'm sure it will raise the moral of all the people having to rely on food banks to get by...

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

A full year even. 

I see, joking about whetherTory MPs would be doing the right thing in a vote of confidence isn't playing too well with the local audience. So I probably shouldn't raise the spectre of Johnson being bulletproof for a whole year again. 

It’s not a guarantee of safety. May didn’t last her 12 months of ‘safety’.

If things got untenable, his own MP’s could call for a vote of no confidence in thr government.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It’s not a guarantee of safety. May didn’t last her 12 months of ‘safety’.

If things got untenable, his own MP’s could call for a vote of no confidence in thr government.

Yes, but the Tories have a healthy majority in parliament right now, May's goverment had to be propped up by those DUP morons. 

The pretext of reviewing Tina Brown's The Palace Papers by Tina Brown.Century,  allows the LRB to do a take-down of the Windsors specifically, and the monarchy generally, with the most cutting edge of damning in language w/o ever once resorting to obscenity or vulgarism -- other than references how the royal inner circle does so resort, quoting the coarsest, most sexist of vulgariity and vulgarism, which are never spoken of, or in, public. The most nasty are employed for discussing women -- of course. This LRB whipping is accomplished in a manner and mode  of malice that only the English can summon.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n11/jonathan-meades/hatpin-through-the-brain

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They just did a rough breakdown on the news of the time, manpower and money spent over months to plan this party for a 96 year old who is going to skip a lot of it and my god does it sound like a massive waste. But I'm sure it will raise the moral of all the people having to rely on food banks to get by...

It should be noted the royal family is still extremely wealthy.

Even if they’re basically the mascots of the country, there’s no good reason to subsidize their lifestyle in such a way.

Archived