UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

The Royal family's wealth relies on a somewhat arbitrary distinction between property they hold 'privately' and property that is owned by the state. Since all of that property stems from their Royal inheritance, the distinction is rather artificial.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It should be noted the royal family is still extremely wealthy.

Even if they’re basically the mascots of the country, there’s no good reason to subsidize their lifestyle in such a way.

I'd go a step farther and say there's no good reason to maintain the monarchy. It's an institution built on the basis of genetic superiority. There's no defending it in my book. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd go a step farther and say there's no good reason to maintain the monarchy. It's an institution built on the basis of genetic superiority. There's no defending it in my book. 

"genetic superiority" :rofl:

54 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Nigel Farage just got owned.

I believe he only said  the statement he was criticized for because he was paid to do in one of those things where you pay a celebrity to say something.

I’m reminded of when Trudeau was tricked into signing a Nazi when it was folded 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I believe he only said  the statement he was criticized for because he was paid to do in one of those things where you pay a celebrity to say something.

I’m reminded of when Trudeau was tricked into signing a Nazi when it was folded 

Nevertheless, the interviewer's point is that anyone who understood anything about Ireland would not have been tricked into saying that on camera.

42 minutes ago, mormont said:

Nevertheless, the interviewer's point is that anyone who understood anything about Ireland would not have been tricked into saying that on camera.

Yep. Either he doesn’t get the reference, but still presumes to lecture Irish people about Ireland, or he does, and still chose to toast a terrorist organisation who’ve committed murderous acts on British soil, for £87.

You can see Claire Byrne trying to hide her smile as she drops the hammer, and Farage’s expression after :)

Hi price has come down a bit then. He'll now say anything you want for £87. At the same time as going on Irish TV and exposing his ignorance by comparing the English rule over Ireland to being a member of the EU.

19 hours ago, mormont said:

The Royal family's wealth relies on a somewhat arbitrary distinction between property they hold 'privately' and property that is owned by the state. Since all of that property stems from their Royal inheritance, the distinction is rather artificial.

It might be arbitrary in their day to day lives since they have the use of the castles and palaces and jewelry and art that are owned by the state, but when the time comes that the monarchy is abolished, the monarch is only worth about $600M and only privately owns a handful of those residences/jewels/art.  $600 million net worth makes the queen not even one of the richest people in the UK.

It's arbitrary in that the source of all that wealth is the same, and in my view the idea that some of it is 'privately' owned is a distinction without a difference. When the monarchy's abolished, we should seize it along with the rest.

Slightly spicy take, I know.

The Crown Estate is one of the biggest landowners in Britain. In addition, Prince Charles is the biggest individual landowner in the country, though the hypocritical cunt is refusing to rewild his vast estates. 

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

$600M and only privately owns a handful of those residences/jewels/art.  $600 million net worth makes the queen not even one of the richest people in the UK.

600 million network would make her richer than at least 97% of the population.

It appears you’re trying to argue people should feel sorry for a woman whose been given a life of absolute luxury for at best playing a government mascot—a position she didn’t have to earn by doing anything other being born.

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I see Arlene Foster is being honoured for her services to religious bigotry.

And they’re honoring a terf group founded to keep schools from helping trans or queer kids.

It’s disgusting on how quickly the situation on trans rights is regressing.

Archived