UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

359 ballots cast.

211 in favour.

148 against.

Jesus.

this is probably good news.  it means we don't get a replacement that could possibly move on from this.  it means a btter chance of them loosing in the next general.

also with that many against him he has very little authority and ability to get stuff though the commons and thus harm us even more.

and hey you never know he might call a general election to purge the party of those that publicly declared against him

41% of the parliamentary party has said they want him to go. It will be very tough to hang on for two years in that kind of atmosphere.

He may be tempted to go for a snap election.

Johnson is one of the few who might be both arrogant and stupid enough to try a snap election, but I doubt he's quite that stupid.

The voters are not going to react well to being asked to give him a mandate against his own backbenchers. It would be a rout.

I guess those who voted in favour of Johnson will be hoping that more important social and economic factors will have improved, in the minds of enough people, that partygate will be able to be hand waved as last year's fish and chip wrapper and irrelevant as a concern for the election. 

Can the opposition parties still make kilometrage (damn it imperialists, mileage just rolls off the tongue better, we'll never be rid of you) out of lies and deceit if the country is otherwise on the right track (according to a large enough minority of the voters)? I don't think so. The hard bit might be in actually having the country on the right track for those who need to be convinced that despite the lies, lawbreaking and incompetence this govt is doing better by the British people than any alternative would be capable of.

Regardless of who the PM is, that's still a job they need to do before the next election, I think.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess those who voted in favour of Johnson will be hoping that more important social and economic factors will have improved, in the minds of enough people, that partygate will be able to be hand waved as last year's fish and chip wrapper and irrelevant as a concern for the election. 

Yeah there’s going to be more empathizes on the reactionary right’s culture nonsense in an attempt to deflect from the failures of government. You know hyperventilating about trans folks just wanting to live their lives.

7 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The state of him.

I think Michae Gove helped ‘prep’ him for this interview. The sniffing and his eyes…

Never in the history of politics has any government who had to declare that it was time to 'move on' been able to actually move on. This one won't be any different.

It's quite a patronising phrase anyway, isn't it? 'Move on and focus on that stuff that really matters'. Implicit in that is the idea that concerns about his dishonesty, lack of leadership and poor judgement aren't serious and don't matter.

They're going to lose two by-elections shortly and the Conservative party will once again return to discussing whether and how to oust Johnson. There's no 'moving on' from this, much as Johnson might fervently wish otherwise.

Another bizarre statement by Boris, who looks kinda flustered by it all.

Not sure what we should all be moving on to and focussing on.. what’s the plan? There never has been one and maybe if there had been he’d have more hope of clinging on. He has just reacted to one crisis after another, of his own making so I don’t see how anything will be different moving forward.

Two more by-elections and he will be gone, if it even takes that long.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Another bizarre statement by Boris, who looks kinda flustered by it all.

Not sure what we should all be moving on to and focussing on.. what’s the plan? There never has been one and maybe if there had been he’d have more hope of clinging on. He has just reacted to one crisis after another, of his own making so I don’t see how anything will be different moving forward.

Two more by-elections and he will be gone, if it even takes that long.

The problem is his supporters are hoping things will be better in two years, at the next election - but he has no plans or policies to make things better. Just waffle.

I thing youre being optimistic that he’ll go either before or because of the by-election results. He’s shown us he’s shameless and won’t leave of his own will.

he won't ever quit.  he will need prying out with a crow bar.

Removing him from office is gonna take changing the rules or waiting the 12 months.

and election

or maybe if the standards committee rule he broke the rules and he gets a suspension from the house then maybe he could be recalled by his constituents and loose the bye election.  Although in this case I think he would still technically remain leader of the tory party.  but they would have to remove him then surely? 

4 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The problem is his supporters are hoping things will be better in two years, at the next election - but he has no plans or policies to make things better. Just waffle.

I thing youre being optimistic that he’ll go either before or because of the by-election results. He’s shown us he’s shameless and won’t leave of his own will.

They’ve been thinking that things will be getting better since Partygate ( well since they got elected), but there is always another terrible fuck up round the corner. He won’t just leave but he also won’t last.

53 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Rishi Sunak with some explaining to do re the heating help. 

Instead of being so smug when he said 'if you can think if a better way' and she had suggested one she could have backed him into a corner. 

Archived