MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

So this She-Hulk thing.. it doesn't really look good. It looks bad.

I know She-Hulk is basically an established character, I was reading comics with her in since I was a kid, and I can sort of imagine how a humourous Ally McBeal take on the character could work.. but there just seems something very off here.

Like.. why is she voluntarily taking a procedure that has caused so much torment in Bruces life.. and why is he doing it to her?! Is professor Hulk also a vindictive moron?

And in a supposedly progressive post #metoo Disney show, why did they choose to make She-Hulk's show about what dresses she looks good in, how her dating life is going and her busy schedule balancing work and friends. I mean I don't mind it, too many female character are just gender swapped male characters with no unique qualities, but I'm pretty surprised Disney went there.

Mostly my concern is just how odd it feels in the context of the rest of the MCU, hard to say why, but it doesn't seem to fit, mainly because it so clearly a genre piece (from the trailer anyway), and that it feels like daytime sitcom territory. It might work better if it didn't also have the actual Hulk in it, tying it in to the rest of the MCU. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

And in a supposedly progressive post #metoo Disney show, why did they choose to make She-Hulk's show about what dresses she looks good in, how her dating life is going and her busy schedule balancing work and friends.

I think you have sorely misunderstood what #metoo is about if this is a complaint.

I also can't see any indication in the trailer that this is a voluntary procedure in the sense you're suggesting?

Spoiler

I'm reasonably sure it's going to be she was in that car crash we see a glimpse of, needs a blood transfusion to save her life, and his is the only match available.

You're not wrong that it's clearly a sitcom, and it might be one I don't like, but I don't see why they shouldn't give it a try. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think you have sorely misunderstood what #metoo is about if this is a complaint

Point being that since me too companies like Disney have been terrified of showing women as anything other than STRONG POWERFUL CONFIDENT and INDEPENDENT. I’m sure they would have gotten a lot of flack, and still might, for the ‘sexist’ stuff in that trailer 

I love the She Hulk character so dam much, so I'm looking forward to this show a lot, but man does that CGI need some work. The face is alright, the something feels strange with the movement for her.

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Disney have been terrified of showing women as anything other than STRONG POWERFUL CONFIDENT and INDEPENDENT.

Quite apart from the fact that Disney's previous woman-led Marvel show was, to great success and not that much criticism, showing Wanda being powerful, yes, but falling apart mentally because of the loss of her husband who she desperately wants back, so I don't think that's true, nothing about that trailer suggests that she's not gonna be strong, powerful, confident and independent. Hell, 

Post #metoo criticisms of how women are depicted were never about not showing women as sexy ever, they were about women just being depicted that way for men to go 'mmmm' over. They don't mean you can never have a scene of a woman looking hot in a dress, or indeed commenting about looking hot in a dress. 

I’m curious about the chronology here, Hulk doesn’t have a sling in these scenes and is still Prof Hulk. In Shang Chi, he’s human Bruce again but with a sling from Endgame. So possibly She-Hulk’s origin is during the snap, then Endgame happens, then Bruce figures out de-Hulking and then Shang Chi happens? That doesn’t sound right, I’m more tempted to say that they’ve just got a bit muddled with chronology.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Point being that since me too companies like Disney have been terrified of showing women as anything other than STRONG POWERFUL CONFIDENT and INDEPENDENT. I’m sure they would have gotten a lot of flack, and still might, for the ‘sexist’ stuff in that trailer 

It's actually pretty faithful to the comics I've seen.

also,

While I agree that the sitcom vibe suggests the show isn't for me (and indeed isn't targeted for me), what the hell is sexist about that trailer?  Moreover, how in the hell is she not depicted as strong, powerful, confident, and independent?  Seems really fucking weird to complain about people complaining when nobody else is complaining.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Moreover, how in the hell is she not depicted as strong, powerful, confident, and independent?  Seems really fucking weird to complain about people complaining when nobody else is complaining.

My point was the idea that the female version of hulk had to be about what clothes she’s wearing or who she’s dating seems to be out of step with Disneys progressive stance. Seems very old school. I could imagine a couple of years ago this sort of thing getting an online backlash, it still might.

A great number of MCU females are bland ‘badasses’ in the Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Wasp mould. It’s good that they are broadening it out and doing something different.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

My point was the idea that the female version of hulk had to be about what clothes she’s wearing or who she’s dating seems to be out of step with Disneys progressive stance. Seems very old school. I could imagine a couple of years ago this sort of thing getting an online backlash, it still might.

A great number of MCU females are bland ‘badasses’ in the Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Wasp mould. It’s good that they are broadening it out and doing something different.

Yeah this is all conjured by your own warped perspective.  Disney only has a "progressive stance" if you believe the likes of Ron DeSantis and think simply featuring more female and POC leads means it's "progressive."  (It also helps them make a shitton of money, which may well be Disney's primary motive that is hardly "progressive.") 

And most of the MCU TV shows have been somewhat "unique" takes in one way or another - certainly Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, and kind of even Hawkeye - so while the show doesn't seem for me (Moon Knight isn't either, have no interest in it), doesn't seem that surprising.

And I don't think Captain Marvel nor Valkyrie are simply "bland badasses," that's just your opinion.  Wasp I guess kind of is but that's just cuz she's barely had much characterization at all (which was one of the reasons why the second movie was so blah).

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah this is all conjured by your own warped perspective.  Disney only has a "progressive stance" if you believe the likes of Ron DeSantis and think simply featuring more female and POC leads means it's "progressive."  (It also helps them make a shitton of money, which may well be Disney's primary motive that is hardly "progressive.") 

I have Disney + , I know what Disney’s perspective is.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

And most of the MCU TV shows have been somewhat "unique" takes in one way or another - certainly Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, and kind of even Hawkeye - so while the show doesn't seem for me (Moon Knight isn't either, have no interest in it), doesn't seem that surprising.

Every single one of those shows features a bland female badass. 

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

And I don't think Captain Marvel nor Valkyrie are simply "bland badasses," that's just your opinion.  Wasp I guess kind of is but that's just cuz she's barely had much characterization at all (which was one of the reasons why the second movie was so blah).

That’s your opinion but I can’t see that either Captain Marvel or Valkyrie have any recognisable characteristics other than strutting around and being badass. 

what clothes she’s wearing or who she’s dating

there's a large segment of liberal feminism that would not disapprove of these items, provided that they are voluntary and not an interest exclusive of all else. one market-oriented and somewhat uncritical strain therein likely would disapprove of their exclusion.  there's certainly a radical left position that disapproves of interest in such things, but disney won't adopt that minoritarian position.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I have Disney + , I know what Disney’s perspective is.

Clearly you don't.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Every single one of those shows features a bland female badass. 

If by "bland female badass" you simply mean "has a female lead," sure!  Every single one of those shows also has a male lead, who could just as easily be described as a "bland male badass."  

Archived