MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

35 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Every single one of those shows features a bland female badass. 

Wanda, Sylvie, Layla, and Kate... None of these are bland bad asses. They are all the opposite of bland (and display varying degrees of badassness from all powerful to hip with a bow). 

Yeah.  Whether you agree with the execution or not, I don't think a single one of the protagonists in any of the Disney+ shows is bland (except maybe Clint, but that's part of his shtick)...

“You didn’t mention in your tinder profile that you’re a hardcore Botox user, Jennifer.” “Oh no, that’s just my terrible cgi …” I really hope they’re going to work on that.

55 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Wanda, Sylvie, Layla, and Kate... None of these are bland bad asses. They are all the opposite of bland (and display varying degrees of badassness from all powerful to hip with a bow). 

I’d dispute that for all of those except wanda, for whom I was more referring to Monica Rambeau. 

45 minutes ago, mormont said:

HoI, I'm honestly not sure what She-Hulk comics you've actually read if those are your complaints. Maybe the Stern Avengers run?

what is it you imagine my complaints are?

19 minutes ago, john said:

“Oh no, that’s just my terrible cgi …” I really hope they’re going to work on that.

It didn’t help that the scenes constantly changed between various stages of Hulkness, so you have to adjust to whether you’re looking at the actress or a slightly green actress or a half-Hulk or a full Hulk. But it was definitely distracting, which is a huge weakness if they don’t improve it. 

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

what is it you imagine my complaints are?

The ones you have set out?

I'm just remarking that all of these things are pretty much features of the definitive She-Hulk runs, going back to Byrne in the late '80s/early '90s.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

I've met people who couldn't be bothered to reread my posts, but rarely someone who can't be bothered to reread their own.

No need for sarcasm mate, I’m asking you a genuine question because it doesn’t look like you’ve actually read my posts. 

My complaint was that this doesn’t seem to fit the rest of the MCU, how does that apply to the comics?

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

No need for sarcasm mate, I’m asking you a genuine question because it doesn’t look like you’ve actually read my posts. 

My complaint was that this doesn’t seem to fit the rest of the MCU, how does that apply to the comics?

Except it fits the rest of the MCU just fine, and that appears to be the confusing thing for you here.

You've said that some random progressives will be upset with this without any evidence. You've then compared her being interested in clothing to her being some sexist caricature, despite the MCU regularly and often showcasing women putting on cool clothing or looking good in both their movies (captain Marvel has an extended set of multiple things like this) to the TV shows (Hawkeye and Kate bishop, Wanda herself).

Mostly, the first wave feminist notion that women cannot be interested in looking good is both antiquated and obviously not Disney's brand, nor ever has been - Disney is all about having beautiful people looking great, while hopefully selling t-shirts. 

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

News is Secret Invasion takes place during the Blip, so how is Fury and Maria Hill present for it?  I'd guess it's their Life Model Decoys running things.

Ugh.  One of the best thing about the MCU was that it kept things moving forward.  I don’t think it’s coincidence that one of the most disappointing entries was Black Widow which stepped backward in the timeline.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

News is Secret Invasion takes place during the Blip, so how is Fury and Maria Hill present for it?  I'd guess it's their Life Model Decoys running things.

Yea, Jackson in the same quote said he learnt some interesting things about Fury … which doesn’t make sense. Maybe nobody told him he was a Skrull?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Ugh.  One of the best thing about the MCU was that it kept things moving forward.  I don’t think it’s coincidence that one of the most disappointing entries was Black Widow which stepped backward in the timeline.

Black Widow maybe went too far back, but seeing more of the world during the Blip could be interesting, as we've only got a glimpse at the beginning of Endgame and a few comments in other stuff.

I dunno, I'm not a big fan of Captain Marvel, but if anything I think the flashback/timeframe improved the quality of the film.  Didn't really mind it in Black Widow either (then again it appears I may just generally like Black Widow more than most here).

That being said, I agree secret invasion taking place during the blip doesn't sit right with me.  And that's before even considering that two of its ostensible stars - Fury and Hill - are supposed to be blipped.

36 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Black Widow maybe went too far back, but seeing more of the world during the Blip could be interesting, as we've only got a glimpse at the beginning of Endgame and a few comments in other stuff.

The blip has been kind of mishandled by the MCU IMO. You'd think such a momentous world changing event would scar the globe forever.. but outside of some cursory nods to the event right after Endgame, it's mostly been forgotten about and everyone has gone back to what they were doing. That's hardly surprising given that whole cities are destroyed, aliens arrive, big flying things with laser beams are seen almost daily.. and most people are still just getting on with life.

I'd rather the MCU just go back to skimming over the blip, move forward and pretend it was just something that happened, and everyone forgot about it.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The blip has been kind of mishandled by the MCU IMO. You'd think such a momentous world changing event would scar the globe forever.. but outside of some cursory nods to the event right after Endgame, it's mostly been forgotten about and everyone has gone back to what they were doing. That's hardly surprising given that whole cities are destroyed, aliens arrive, big flying things with laser beams are seen almost daily.. and most people are still just getting on with life.

I'd rather the MCU just go back to skimming over the blip, move forward and pretend it was just something that happened, and everyone forgot about it.

To be fair, the Flag Smashers in Falcon and the Winter Soldier were directly influenced by the blip- people who wanted that world back, and resented the attention to the reborn character. Hawkeye also existed directly because of it- due to Clint's vigilante rampages during that time.

But yeah, it wasn't as explored as it should have been. The comics handled it better by having most of the universe, even the heroes, forgetting all about it (and didn't last 5 years).

Archived