MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

Secret Invasion during the blip would've been interesting, if it had been set up in Endgame.

On the field of battle, Steve is standing alone when portals start opening up. Camera pans down field to Maria Hill, who is looking nervous. Another Maria Hill steps through the portal, but in the chaos no one notices. Cue Secret Wars post-credit scene.

THEN a flashback series would work. Just retconning it during the blip doesn't feel right. It's bad enough we somehow have Hill and Fury as Skrulls immediately post Endgame in Spiderman without explanation. So I guess they did set it up... 

Meh. We'll see how it turns out. Feige's team has most certainly figured it all out. Knowing them, there was probably some foreshadowing back in Ironman 3 pointing to Secret Invasion. 

I mean, they revealed that Fury and Hill in Spider-Man No Way Home were secretly Talos and another Skrull...why would Secret Invasion set during the Blip have anything different?  The Skrulls trying to help Fury by making it seem like he wasn't blipped...though to have something like that during those 5 years, and NOT have some sort of involvement with the Avengers...?  That'll be tougher to sell...

The Blip is a good example of a thing that happens in shared world storytelling, where a writer makes a bold and interesting choice and other writers are free to pick up on it, or... not.

You see it all the time in the comics, and indeed you've seen it before in the MCU. Tony gets PTSD, destroys all his suits: that's a bold and interesting writing choice that subsequent writers just didn't want to pick up on, so it got dropped.

The Blip can't be dropped, as such, because it's too well established, but Phase 4 writers are free to use it or not use it, it seems. And again, if you're into shared world superhero comics, you're used to that sort of thing. Particularly nowadays.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I mean, they revealed that Fury and Hill in Spider-Man No Way Home were secretly Talos and another Skrull...why would Secret Invasion set during the Blip have anything different?

Right, that's my problem with it - it wouldn't actually be Fury and Hill for, presumably, the entire show.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, that's my problem with it - it wouldn't actually be Fury and Hill for, presumably, the entire show.

Does that matter that much?  Particularly if Secret Wars is a show about how things may or may not have been kept together during the Blip?

Maybe they're going to retcon it so that the two we saw blipped were actually Skrulls, and Fury and Hill actually existed during the gap.  If there were not de-blipped, they could have missed the Endgame battle due to being caught up fighting the Secret Invasion.

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does that matter that much?

It does to me.  I want to watch Sam Jackson play Nick Fury.  Not play Talos pretending to be Nick Fury.  And that goes even more so for Hill, considering we have pretty much no characterization for whatever skrull is pretending to be her.

28 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Maybe they're going to retcon it so that the two we saw blipped were actually Skrulls, and Fury and Hill actually existed during the gap.  If there were not de-blipped, they could have missed the Endgame battle due to being caught up fighting the Secret Invasion.

That really spoils the pager link between Captain Marvel (film) and IW / Endgame. But it did occur to me. I hope not. 

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

That really spoils the pager link between Captain Marvel (film) and IW / Endgame. But it did occur to me. I hope not. 

How do you figure? Talos reveres Carol Danvers, I can buy that while posing as Fury he had Fury's stuff. He'd definitely know what the pager was for.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

How do you figure? Talos reveres Carol Danvers, I can buy that while posing as Fury he had Fury's stuff. He'd definitely know what the pager was for.

I mean it works logically, it’s retcon-able, but it’s just clearly intended that Captain Marvel gives Fury a pager, and Fury uses that in his last moments (and says “mother fu….”, very Fury) and comes immediately because she’s thinks her friend Nick is in trouble. I just don’t want to see “five movies ago before we’d introduced Skrulls, that guy was actually a Skrull” levels of retconning personally.

19 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I mean it works logically, it’s retcon-able, but it’s just clearly intended that Captain Marvel gives Fury a pager, and Fury uses that in his last moments (and says “mother fu….”, very Fury) and comes immediately because she’s thinks her friend Nick is in trouble. I just don’t want to see “five movies ago before we’d introduced Skrulls, that guy was actually a Skrull” levels of retconning personally.

I think that last bit has arguably already happened? I don't remember the details but I've read a theory that he was really Talos in I want to say Age of Ultron? Because like in Captain Marvel he says something like he can't eat sandwiches cut a certain way, and in Age of Ultron he does that? (I might have this totally wrong) Probably a mistake but it's also so oddly specific. Why have him make that comment about sandwiches when he'd already shown it wasn't the case?

Or he got over it in the time between Captain Marvel and whatever movie he eats a sammich in.

Just now, RumHam said:

I think that last bit has arguably already happened? I don't remember the details but I've read a theory that he was really Talos in I want to say Age of Ultron? Because like in Captain Marvel he says something like he can't eat sandwiches cut a certain way, and in Age of Ultron he does that? (I might have this totally wrong) Probably a mistake but it's also so oddly specific. Why have him make that comment about sandwiches when he'd already shown it wasn't the case?

Or he got over it in the time between Captain Marvel and whatever movie he eats a sammich in.

No.  That's the AoU theory on Fury.  

Anything is possible.  I suppose it's also possible that some of this is a feint from the higher ups.  Maybe only PART of the story is during the blip.  I mean, the entire payoff of the real Fury being on that ship at the end of No Way Home needs to pay off...during the Blip on this show, maybe it's showing how SWORD came about...?  Though only six episodes... 

30 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Bit sceptical on the ‘none of the same creative team’ part but good news nonetheless. Hope it lives up to the standard they set with previous seasons.

I'm very skeptical but this is still good news I suppose. I do hope they bring back Bullseye as I never felt like he was Daredevil's greatest nemesis in Season 3 of the Netflix show. Killing Karen would have been perfect to establish him as Matt's archenemy. While Disney will probably not do that, I do hope they can make their rivalry more personal. 

Reports are that Love and Thunder is one of the shortest Marvel movies at 115 minutes.

At long last my time has come!  I can safely order the large Coke at the concession stand!!!!

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Reports are that Love and Thunder is one of the shortest Marvel movies at 115 minutes.

Considering I'm looking forward to Love & Thunder more than any other MCU movie forthcoming (and since Endgame), actually that's kind of a let down.  But I am happy for your bladder.

21 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Killing Karen would have been perfect to establish him as Matt's archenemy.

No. No. A thousand times no. And another no for good measure.

Why does nobody ever suggest killing Foggy? Women, being killed off to animate male rivalries since 3000BC.

Archived