MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

I'm also wondering if the MCU really needs both Inhumans and Mutants in it. One of the reasons they went so hard down the Inhumans route originally (the planned movie which became the TV series, with a huge crossover with Agents of SHIELD) is because they thought they'd never got the X-Men rights back, so the Inhumans would take over from Mutants as the "go-to" explanation for any new superhero showing up where they didn't want to tap into a complex backstory.

Now that they have Mutants, I'm not sure they need Inhumans as well. Obviously the comics have both, but it feels like it'd have the potential to be more confusing in a live-action depiction.

“That part in a movie when somebody comes to the main character and says … you’re going to be a Jedi.” Lol Disney.

I was genuinely going to use the word delightful too. All the interactions between the various characters are great. And the plot’s kind of interesting too.

Now the power set is more clear it seems like they abandoned the stretchy Reed Richard type powers from the comic but have gone with something akin to the more cool version of Sue Storm’s powers.

edit - that Ant-Man comment was a little weird. Everybody knows Paul Rudd is older than he looks but apparently that also applies to Scott Lang in the MCU. Strange thing to mention in a world where a lot of people, including Iman Vellani, is playing somebody younger than them.

Anyone else catch The Eternals reference?

Spoiler

When Kamala and the new guy are at the cafe talking about Bollywood movies, they're talking about their relatives' crush on Kingo and Kingo Sr, who is the same person.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

For that matter they still haven't given a firm answer on the canonicity of the Netflix shows either. We've seen some of the same actors show up, but absolutely zero information on if the shows themselves still happened.

I think this is a yes now for sure; it seems like they rushed some extra material for Kingpin in Hawkeye, and for some reason listened to D’Onofrio on the Hawaiian shirt, which led to a slightly wonky feel for Fisk. But everything else squares perfectly; the cuff links, the Presidential hotel, the planned new season of Daredevil. Plus (to tread some old ground), they were never de-canonised so they don’t need re-canonising.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I immediately thought that Kamala did that on purpose as a twisted homage.

Doubtful anybody outside of Hawkeye knows about that, and I doubt he said anything about precisely how it happened to any friends or even his wife.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, mormont said:

but the writing, ugh.

This is a 2011 movie where the first person to die is the black guy- and the black guy whose power is to be immortal.

I liked it when I saw back in the day, but haven't revisited since. That said, McAvoy and Fassbender are perfect casting (Jennifer Lawrence, not so much, though in this one she's at least trying).

Anyway, the second Ms. Marvel episode is also good, even if a slight downgrade from the first.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Delightful was exactly the word I was going to use.

Hide contents

One thing I thought was funny though, why the hell were the federal agents so baffled as to where she went at the end? Did I miss something and it was an invisible car that picked her up?

I wouldn't actually rule that out

Spoiler

it was too...janky for what the rest of the show has been, I think there's actually a decent chance they are hiding a power usage behind the appearance of poor editing/writing.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

So… Kamran is Kamala’s great Uncle?

Spoiler

If his mom is Kamala's great grand mother Aisha, yes.  Except she is credited as Namja. 

There is a moment in the cafe when Kamala is introducing him to her brother and to-be-sister-in-law, he says "I'm Uncle.....    Choudhury's nephew."   So it's possible he was going to tell the truth and say I'm your Uncle to them before he modified it.  I assume he's not an idiot, just tripped up in the moment.

13 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

2nd episode of Ms. Marvel is delightful too.

Reveal hidden contents

This series is hella charming, for sure.

Spoiler

I believe what they're doing with Kamran may be merging that character with Kareem, AKA Red Dagger. The diving scene seems intended to get across that he's athletic and physically skilled, and there's no hint about him having energy powers.

Other than that, I love that they took some time to show us more about Nakia and to introduce Tyesha. Mohan Kapur is killing it as Kamala's father, the dad energy is incredible. Wonderful show.

7 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

This is a 2011 movie where the first person to die is the black guy- and the black guy whose power is to be immortal.

Not only that: in fact, if you look at it, every character not a white male winds up either dead, or on the villain team, with the exception of Moira, who has her mind wiped against her will by Charles. The white male characters (except Magneto) all wind up on the X-Men.

Emma Frost continues the inglorious tradition of X-Men films reducing strong female characters to footnotes. She literally fetches Sebastian Shaw drinks.

People love the film because Fassbender and MacAvoy are terrific in it. But it has little else going for it, tbqh.

39 minutes ago, mormont said:

Not only that: in fact, if you look at it, every character not a white male winds up either dead, or on the villain team, with the exception of Moira, who has her mind wiped against her will by Charles. The white male characters (except Magneto) all wind up on the X-Men.

I'm sure those writers were having to push their klan masks out of the way while they were laughing and smoking cigars writing the script. ** rolls eyes **

40 minutes ago, mormont said:

Emma Frost continues the inglorious tradition of X-Men films reducing strong female characters to footnotes. She literally fetches Sebastian Shaw drinks.

Good point.. except for like.. all the other ones. Mystique is literally elevated to 'Most important character' status in the later movies simply because Jennifer Lawrence was hot property at the time. 

42 minutes ago, mormont said:

People love the film because Fassbender and MacAvoy are terrific in it. But it has little else going for it, tbqh.

Because there is a good Magneto:Origins movie wrapped inside a bad X-Men:First Class movie. You can see the joins. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I'm sure those writers were having to push their klan masks out of the way while they were laughing and smoking cigars writing the script. ** rolls eyes **

Right, because racism is always born from conscious decisions. ** rolls eyes even harder **

1 hour ago, Quijote Light said:

Right, because racism is always born from conscious decisions. ** rolls eyes even harder **

** Eyes spin uncontrollably in sockets like a fruit machine **

Anyway, second episode of Ms Marvel was also very good.

I'm really liking just how organic the whole dynamic of her family feels, they have introduced an asian muslim family and not fallen into a number of horrible cliches, but made everyone feel like a real person. Thats appreciated. 

Like most Marvel properties, this is the best bit of the show. I want to see more mosque days out and high school jinx, and less super-powered rescues. The ending made me a little fearful there will be a big overarching storyline which will make the scale bigger and less intimate, and that would be a shame. 

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

** Eyes spin uncontrollably in sockets like a fruit machine **

Anyway, second episode of Ms Marvel was also very good.

I'm really liking just how organic the whole dynamic of her family feels, they have introduced an asian muslim family and not fallen into a number of horrible cliches, but made everyone feel like a real person. Thats appreciated. 

G Willow Wilson is the bomb.

edit: tried to link to her Ted talk about how Ms Marvel all came together :(

---

This could be funny

On 6/16/2022 at 7:44 AM, mormont said:

This series is hella charming, for sure.

Hide contents

I believe what they're doing with Kamran may be merging that character with Kareem, AKA Red Dagger. The diving scene seems intended to get across that he's athletic and physically skilled, and there's no hint about him having energy powers.

I doubt that, since

Spoiler

they’ve cast a different actor as Kareem

As a side note, I love the term Illuminaunties.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:50 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Anyone else catch The Eternals reference?

Reveal hidden contents

When Kamala and the new guy are at the cafe talking about Bollywood movies, they're talking about their relatives' crush on Kingo and Kingo Sr, who is the same person.

When they started talking Bollywood, I was hoping for that.  Really liked it.

Agree that everything felt very natural in the interactions between the family.  I felt a bit uncomfortable (which is probably how I was meant to feel) when she was speaking out in the middle of the mosque and complaining about the divider.  I do wonder how the Muslim community at large feels about that being on screen, but I absolutely believe a teenage girl would feel those things.

Archived