MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

10 minutes ago, AverageGuy said:

Okay, the djinn thing is weird. Djinn are actually mentioned in the Koran; they're similar to angels, and Muhammad was actuallly their prophet, too. Adding them like this is giving me "note from a white producer" vibes.

The new phase of the MCU has been bringing in more mythological beings, based on the comics, but with twists. We got the Egyptian gods in Moon Knight, the people from an alternate dimension in Shang-Chi, and we're getting Greek gods in Thor: Love and Thunder. And the central part of this is that they all seem to live in alternate dimensions, which connects with this phase's main theme of the multi-verse.

18 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

Okay, the djinn thing is weird. Djinn are actually mentioned in the Koran; they're similar to angels, and Muhammad was actuallly their prophet, too. Adding them like this is giving me "note from a white producer" vibes.

That's not quite right.

Jinn are a species made of smokeless fire (meaning the purest part of a flame if I remember correctly) and like us have consciousness as well as free will, so they too will be taken to account on Judgment Day. Jinn can see us but we can't see them and have supernatural abilities such as shape-shifting. Whether they live alongside us or parallel to us or in another dimension entirely and cross-over when they, for example, want to possess us, is impossible to say. Also, the Jinn were created before Man and Satan a Jinn so pious he was allowed to enter heaven and pray alongside the Angels while not yet dead (until he fell from grace obviously). That being said, you are correct in that the Quran does mention them and Muhammad (PBUH) was sent to them in addition to all of Mankind.

Angels, on the other hand, are made of pure light and while they have consciousness they lack free will. In that sense, they're kind of like robots in that they can think and question but not exceed their "programming" so to speak. For example, in the Quran when God announced His intention to create Man the Angels point-blank asked him (and I'm paraphrasing the translation here just to be clear) "are you going to establish a race that will shed blood and spread corruption while we worship you without fail?" (In case you're curious God responds by saying "I know what you know not", which I understand to mean the good of humanity ultimately makes up for the evil of the rest.)

Thus, the only real similarity between Jinn and Angels is that both are invisible to the naked eye (until its too late).

Sorry for the lengthy tangent but I felt everyone could hopefully benefit from it.

Ms. Marvel remains an absolute delight.  Just a wonderful character piece with just enough action.

Also, I loved the cameo by the Trust-A-Bro truck during the credits of episode three...(maybe it has been there the whole time, but I just noticed it...)

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ms. Marvel remains an absolute delight.  Just a wonderful character piece with just enough action.

Also, I loved the cameo by the Trust-A-Bro truck during the credits of episode three...(maybe it has been there the whole time, but I just noticed it...)

I said the same thing about the truck!  :lol:  Maybe its been there, but I hadn't noticed it until then.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s quite the switch up with two episodes left.

It is.  When I read the episode description that said she would go around the world looking for the source of her powers, I was really wary of what the episode would be.  But the show stayed true to its heart and the focus remained on Kamala as a teenage girl and her family.

Sad when a chase on a rickshaw is more compelling than a speeder bike chase through Tatooine though.  :lol:

Another entertaining and charming episode. Not much more to say: I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to seeing where this show goes next. Speculation:

Spoiler

I'm guessing this'll end up as a closed time loop situation where she'll end up saving her grandmother when she gets lost, and maybe also leaves that tunic behind in the past? Perhaps she'll also be the cause of Aisha's disappearance from the past as she'll bring her straight to the future/present when she returns?

Did the introduction of the “Red Knives” have a Bollywood feel to anyone else.  I wonder how many people in the West have absolutely no idea how dark and brutal “Partition” was?  “Partition” is far too short and sanitized a word for what took place.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did the introduction of the “Red Knives” have a Bollywood feel to anyone else. 

They certainly leaned into it a bit, and the actor playing Waleed is a Bollywood star too.

6 hours ago, Poobah said:

Another entertaining and charming episode. Not much more to say: I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to seeing where this show goes next. Speculation:

Hide contents

I'm guessing this'll end up as a closed time loop situation where she'll end up saving her grandmother when she gets lost, and maybe also leaves that tunic behind in the past? Perhaps she'll also be the cause of Aisha's disappearance from the past as she'll bring her straight to the future/present when she returns?

Spoiler

I’ve been expecting since her dad first told the story that Kamala would be responsible for the river of stars

I liked all the little family scenes - Nani and Kamala on the balcony and then Nani and Muneeba.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did the introduction of the “Red Knives” have a Bollywood feel to anyone else.  I wonder how many people in the West have absolutely no idea how dark and brutal “Partion” was?  “Partion” is far too short and sanitized a word for what took place.

The word is "Partition", officially the Partition of India. Wiki link for anyone who does want to know more - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did the introduction of the “Red Knives” have a Bollywood feel to anyone else.  I wonder how many people in the West have absolutely no idea how dark and brutal “Partion” was?  “Partion” is far too short and sanitized a word for what took place.

Partition. And yes, it was horrendous. It's also really under-sold in Britain, the country that caused it. It was and is not taught at school level.

There was a Doctor Who episode dealing with partition a couple of years ago and it actually got a lot of conversations going in schools about it, as well as frothing rage from the Empire supremacist brigade who loathe anything that suggests the British Empire wasn't benevolent and always in the right.

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Partition. And yes, it was horrendous. It's also really under-sold in Britain, the country that caused it. It was and is not taught at school level.

There was a Doctor Who episode dealing with partition a couple of years ago and it actually got a lot of conversations going in schools about it, as well as frothing rage from the Empire supremacist brigade who loathe anything that suggests the British Empire wasn't benevolent and always in the right.

I saw that one.  Given the “anti-CRT” don’t talk about the reality of racism and slavery in the US I’m, sadly, not surprised by that reaction to the truth about Partition.

:(

6 hours ago, JGP said:

I don't even care if this is clickbait bullshit. 

Give Victor his own solo movie, then put him as the baddy in a few others. 

If its a tv show then I'm not interested. I'm done with the Marvel TV bullshit, where promising and interesting movies get bloated out to 6 episodes and lose any of the things that make them interesting, ending in a big flashy last episode that doesn't tend to make up for the grind of episodes 2-5

Having said that, the movies aren't always much better.

Either way, Doctor Doom was always one of my favourite characters, going back to the 80s Secret Wars, the first comic I regularly bought. Would love to see a movie that wasn't incredibly ashamed of the character to the point of trying to 'modernise' him or do a twist on him. 

You can criticise the OG Secret Wars for a lot of the writing, but Shooter really got Doom. This is a guy who, when called out for monologuing, explains that he's recording everything he says for posterity as a public service. Who, when he sees a being destroy a galaxy casually and promises him his heart's desire for slaying his enemies, thinks 'how can I defeat that being and steal its power?' And yet whose ultimate victory is undermined by nagging self-doubt. Absolutely classic narcissist. 

I would definitely be into a series or move about Doom. But yeah, you have to do Doom straight. Don't try to be clever and update him. 

24 minutes ago, mormont said:

You can criticise the OG Secret Wars for a lot of the writing, but Shooter really got Doom. This is a guy who, when called out for monologuing, explains that he's recording everything he says for posterity as a public service. Who, when he sees a being destroy a galaxy casually and promises him his heart's desire for slaying his enemies, thinks 'how can I defeat that being and steal its power?' And yet whose ultimate victory is undermined by nagging self-doubt. Absolutely classic narcissist. 

I would definitely be into a series or move about Doom. But yeah, you have to do Doom straight. Don't try to be clever and update him. 

Doom is the real star of the show of that Secret Wars run, and even as a kid it was fascinating to see how he was thinking bigger than all the other super villains. The guy literally didn't want to stop at being a god.. until he got there and realised it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

There is no reason why the current MCU couldn't do Doom as a flat out Darth Vader looking Eastern European baddie, so much of the MCU has silly looking overwrought characters already, and they also have made-up fictional countries in their wheelhouse. Him getting his own vehicle suggests he won't just be a foil for the F4, which is how hes been used so far.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

If its a tv show then I'm not interested. I'm done with the Marvel TV bullshit, where promising and interesting movies get bloated out to 6 episodes and lose any of the things that make them interesting, ending in a big flashy last episode that doesn't tend to make up for the grind of episodes 2-5

Having said that, the movies aren't always much better.

Either way, Doctor Doom was always one of my favourite characters, going back to the 80s Secret Wars, the first comic I regularly bought. Would love to see a movie that wasn't incredibly ashamed of the character to the point of trying to 'modernise' him or do a twist on him. 

^Yeah… WandaVision, Loki, Moonknight, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye… they were all just awful weren’t they… ^

:|

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

^Yeah… WandaVision, Loki, Moonknight, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye… they were all just awful weren’t they… ^

:|

Meh I think my comments apply pretty accurately to all of those. Almost all of them were poorly paced and didn’t have the legs for even 6 episodes

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Meh I think my comments apply pretty accurately to all of those. Almost all of them were poorly paced and didn’t have the legs for even 6 episodes

And I disagree.  I enjoyed all of them.  Even “Falcon and the Winter Soldier” had some very good parts.

Archived