MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

The visuals in this show are great, and I think Kamala is an interesting and sympathetic character but I'm not fully "in" yet, without any sense of where this is going exactly. I'm a little worried that it could end up being too much high school drama.

Wonderful first episode. The cast are all note-perfect IMO, as a long-time reader of the comics. The change in powerset worried me slightly, but the aesthetic, tone and characterisation are all right. This could be a very strong entry for the MCU: it's visually interesting, well produced and has the potential to appeal to a somewhat different demographic than the original films.

Strong 'Mitchells vs the Machines' vibes from the way they depicted Kamala's daydreams, notes, and youtube channel. That's not a bad thing coz Mitchells vs the Machines is excellent but hey. 

I do have to say I'm finding the mum too overbearing. I know it's a trope not unrooted in real familly experiences but even though they're also giving her genuine worries to deal with, she's just a bit too ott for me, and I know they're gonna flip it and have the bonding scenes before the show is out but... I mean, I dunno.

Overall I do like it.  

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Strong 'Mitchells vs the Machines' vibes from the way they depicted Kamala's daydreams, notes, and youtube channel. That's not a bad thing coz Mitchells vs the Machines is excellent but hey. 

I do have to say I'm finding the mum too overbearing. I know it's a trope not unrooted in real familly experiences but even though they're also giving her genuine worries to deal with, she's just a bit too ott for me, and I know they're gonna flip it and have the bonding scenes before the show is out but... I mean, I dunno.

Overall I do like it.  

They're implying

Spoiler

the grandma was a superhero too, and so Kamala's mom has some legit worry her daughter will turn out like her, assuming the embarrassment is due to no one believing she actually had superpowers and wasn't crazy.

In interviews the vibe was said to be aiming for part Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim, part Ladybird (regarding the mother-daughter relationship).   Other influences were Spiderman: Homecoming, John Hughes movies, and Ten Things I Hate About You.

19 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Really fun. I especially liked the funky camera work they did at times with the rotations and the split screens and the way they showed the text messages and all that.

It's very Edgar Wright/Scott Pilgrim-esque.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Overall I do like it.  

You haven’t met my wife.  The Mom reminds me of her with the sympathetic Dad who’s unwilling to contradict the overbearing mom also creating a strong point of… familiarity.

:)

But when Kamala's parents think they've come up with the ideal solution that pleases everyone and her dad bursts in as the Hulk and she doesn't want to do it and her mum is so hurt... man, that was amazing. Writing, staging, directing, acting. Perfect.

The first Avengercon is 10 years (12? 15?) after the Avengers first appeared? I guess there has been a lot going on in the world.

Yes, it was a good first episode. I’m not really loving the visual style (didn’t like it in Scott Pilgrim either) but it’s well used and the performances and the writing are strong. I did also think the mum was too overbearing (amusingly so) and in general there seemed to be a change in Kamala’s struggle to focus more on her as a daydreamer. In the comics, iirc, her parents want to stop her going to a party where there might be boys and drinking, which seems fair enough from their perspective. In this, they want her to go with her dad in a costume her mum made and are upset when she doesn’t go for it? That seems like a specific problem with her parents and not really one of reconciling cultural differences. Like, her mum says ‘do you want to be good or do you want to live in your fantasyland?’ That’s not really a dynamic I could relate to, personally. My answer would be ‘both, obviously.’

The change in the power set - it certainly looks better on screen than embiggening probably would. I’m going to be intrigued to see how they manage with Reed Richards to make one of the lamest superpowers look cool. Since she’s not a shapeshifter that also robs the adaptation of one of the best moments from the early comics, imo, where Kamala immediately and instinctively uses her new powers to transform herself into Captain Marvel, the hot, blonde, white girl she always wanted to be, and then quickly realises how dumb that is and turns herself back.

17 minutes ago, john said:

The first Avengercon is 10 years (12? 15?) after the Avengers first appeared? I guess there has been a lot going on in the world.

Assuming we are back on a sort of ish continuing timeline... The new Avengers musical just started playing around Christmas time; so maybe the Avenger-con is on pace.  :lol:  

Also, I'm firmly entrenched on the very, very western edge of the Eastern time zone so its hard for me to know... how early does it get dark in NYC at this time of year???????

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Assuming we are back on a sort of ish continuing timeline... The new Avengers musical just started playing around Christmas time; so maybe the Avenger-con is on pace.  :lol:  

Also, I'm firmly entrenched on the very, very western edge of the Eastern time zone so its hard for me to know... how early does it get dark in NYC at this time of year???????

School is still in session in the show, so it's not summer. I would assume it would take at least one full year from Endgame for organizers to make AvengerCon happen.

As there were people cosplaying Gamora and Captain Marvel at AvenrgesCon...I assume that this first one is based on post-blip and is all about what people know NOW, as opposed to before then...

Did anyone fill in the secret tunnels and elevators that were revealed when Zola and Hydra blew up the bunker at Camp Leheigh though?  That's the question.

Archived