Trailer Thread: A24 Carat Thread

HexMachina

26 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yep.  Henry Czerny.  I haven't seen him in anything in forever.

More importantly, Captain Carter is in this.

I don't recall him surviving the end of that movie. But then again, this wouldn't be a first for this franchise. 

It does look like maybe they're going for a full circle approach. There is also a fight sequence on top of a fast moving train.

47 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Is that the bad guy from the 1st movie? 

Kittridge!

He wasn't the bad guy. He was an antagonist, because he thought Ethan Hunt was a traitor, but he was an on-the-level CIA manager/director/something. And he showed up to help at the end of the movie.

The trailer makes it look like he's a bad guy in this new one, but I'm hoping that's a misdirect and he continues to be an antagonistic bureaucrat.

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

Kittridge!

He wasn't the bad guy. He was an antagonist, because he thought Ethan Hunt was a traitor, but he was an on-the-level CIA manager/director/something. And he showed up to help at the end of the movie.

The trailer makes it look like he's a bad guy in this new one, but I'm hoping that's a misdirect and he continues to be an antagonistic bureaucrat.

I need to re-watch the 1st movie. It's been a while.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I need to re-watch the 1st movie. It's been a while.

It's a solid movie, I re-watched recently after a long break. But it's surprisingly different from the rest of the franchise. There is very little action outside of the beginning and end of the movie. It's much more of an old-school thriller where most of the movie is dialog and atmosphere. And it is an extremely complicated plot that can be hard to follow due to some key lines only ever being said once and whispered at that; and it doesn't help that there are a couple pretty large leaps of logic to keep the plot moving (although I think overall it all holds up).

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

If the Neon Demon which I did not like at all got that kind of rapturous response I'll also see that as a point for scepticism. 

To be fair, it was also booed at the same time. It seems the contentious ones get rival camps applauding and booing. Here's a list alleging the longest ovation periods:

Reminds me that I've never seen Mud, and Belle seems like a really beautiful anime.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

It's a solid movie, I re-watched recently after a long break. But it's surprisingly different from the rest of the franchise. There is very little action outside of the beginning and end of the movie. It's much more of an old-school thriller where most of the movie is dialog and atmosphere. And it is an extremely complicated plot that can be hard to follow due to some key lines only ever being said once and whispered at that; and it doesn't help that there are a couple pretty large leaps of logic to keep the plot moving (although I think overall it all holds up).

It has kind of amused me for a while that the first Mission Impossible was a kinda Bourne-before-Bourne 'more realistic' counter to what Bond was doing at the time then as Bond itself followed Bourne down the 'grounded' track MI took its space of unashamed daftness.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

To be fair, it was also booed at the same time. It seems the contentious ones get rival camps applauding and booing. Here's a list alleging the longest ovation periods:

Reminds me that I've never seen Mud, and Belle seems like a really beautiful anime.

Mud? The movie with Matthew McConaughey? Not a bad movie, I'd probably give it a grade of B. I'm astonished that someone would applaud the movie for 18 minutes.

22 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Mud? The movie with Matthew McConaughey? Not a bad movie, I'd probably give it a grade of B. I'm astonished that someone would applaud the movie for 18 minutes.

Yeah, like I said, Cannes ovations are special. It's a huge, 2000+ person theater, and you basically get waves of ovations (or boos) in clusters and they can just sort of keep feeding one another so it just goes on and on for whatever reason. I'd love to see if someone's ever filmed one of those long ovations, start to finish, from a perspective where they can show the ripple effect of it.

12 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, that one stood out to me the most from that weird list. I mean I think it’s a pretty good movie but damn. 

I forgot The Paperboy existed. Is it worth a watch at all? I remember it getting hyped early then panned as time went on.

18 hours ago, Ran said:

That makes a lot of sense. I would be quite tribal in that kind of setting as well, so I can see how you'd get to such long applauses.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Daily Beast, from Cannes, says the Genie flick is a mess. Guess that Londoner didn't go for a Scheherazade - Aladdin Djinn ship?  :dunno:

I've seen a couple of other reviews along that line. Most seem to feel the last 20 minutes works very well, but that most of the film is preoccupied with the history of the genie and is chock full of special effects and costumes and strange people, and that it's not very compelling.

My enthusiasm based on the teaser has been dampened, but we'll see.

:dunno: OTOH, most of the time most of the writers at the Beast are callow, smug and don't get out much?  Gotta stay in tune with their puppet mistress!  Why else do they devoted such a significant portion of every frackin' single day hatin' on Meaghan Markle and / or Amber Heard?  :D  

6 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Nothing new as far as next summer action movie goes but Russo Brothers, Evans and Gosling should be enough for me to check it out assuming I still have Netflix when this is released.

I had high hopes for this given I mostly rate the Russos and the two leads is a dream pairing, but the trailer isn't great. I dunno, maybe it'd pop more if it hadn't hit a day after that Mission Impossible trailer, but just seems a bit flat.

Still hopefully it's just a meh trailer and the film works out.

6 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Nothing new as far as next summer action movie goes but Russo Brothers, Evans and Gosling should be enough for me to check it out assuming I still have Netflix when this is released.

I would have liked them to add "From the Directors of the Paintball episodes of Community" to that list of credits.

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I had high hopes for this given I mostly rate the Russos and the two leads is a dream pairing, but the trailer isn't great. I dunno, maybe it'd pop more if it hadn't hit a day after that Mission Impossible trailer, but just seems a bit flat.

Still hopefully it's just a meh trailer and the film works out.

Yeah.. it basically looks like Jason Bourne 17 or Captain America: Winter Soldier 2. And that might be exactly what it is. Hoping the action/fight scenes are at least good enough to make up for a beaten-horse premise.

Also, yeah, this trailer doesn't compare at all to the Mission Impossible one that came out yesterday.

Archived