Trailer Thread: A24 Carat Thread

HexMachina

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

"Money."

I mean, that's far from a guarantee. Not rooting against it, but A League of Their Own is a classic and doesn't need a series remaking it. 

Go find the projects that failed, but within them you can see that they had something, the execution just wasn't there.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, that's far from a guarantee. Not rooting against it, but A League of Their Own is a classic and doesn't need a series remaking it. 

Go find the projects that failed, but within them you can see that they had something, the execution just wasn't there.

I meant that the reason this show exists is because someone thinks it'll make Amazon money (or whatever they consider an equivalent during the Streaming Wars). I too share your skepticism about it, but then I've rarely found a sports-focused TV show that I enjoy.

Glass Onion is likely to be fun, thank goodness.  I kept thinking of Knives Out the entire time I watched No Time to Die -- Daniel Craig was so clearly not having fun in NTTD, whereas he clearly was in KO.  I thought, "No wonder he did Knives Out after this shyte."

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It ticks a number of boxes that execs like.. whether audiences will like it is another matter 

That's not how this works, like at all, though public statements may suggest it. There's only one box most of those types care about, and as @Ran said,

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's not how this works, like at all, though public statements may suggest it. 

I mean there is always the possibility that some exec have been convinced that there is some overwhelming demand for this kind of thing by others, but studios also produce content that isn't designed to make tons of money but works to enhance their image, deflect criticism, make people look like they are 'good people'. It really actually isn't always about money. 

Yeah and honestly sometimes studios do make things just because they want to. People didn't stop giving Bryan Fuller money to make tv shows until after he'd flaked on both American Gods and Star Trek Discovery despite all of his shows till Star Trek (possibly?) being deeply lacking in mass appeal (apparently he's now moving into movies which is probably a better place for him in all honesty). 

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah and honestly sometimes studios do make things just because they want to. People didn't stop giving Bryan Fuller money to make tv shows until after he'd flaked on both American Gods and Star Trek Discovery despite all of his shows till Star Trek (possibly?) being deeply lacking in mass appeal (apparently he's now moving into movies which is probably a better place for him in all honesty). 

I think what Fuller's career shows is that studios are aware of who the most talked about people are, and Fuller was getting praise and adoration for his work on Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, so it makes sense to hire him for stuff. I'd say studios are very open to idea that they can take creative voices and put them in a more corporate structure to create something more mainstream and appealing. Disney are doing it all the time now, I mean they put the director of Nomadland in charge of the Eternals! 

So while I agree it mostly always comes down to money, there are also a lot of other reasons why stuff gets made: favours being owed, passion projects, agreements being made at coke fuelled parties, diversity obligations, public appearances.. it's not so simple.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Fuller was fired from American Gods and the quality of the show steadily declined after that. Everything I've read suggests that production was kind of a shit show behind the scenes. Shame. 

21 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think what Fuller's career shows is that studios are aware of who the most talked about people are, and Fuller was getting praise and adoration for his work on Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, so it makes sense to hire him for stuff. I'd say studios are very open to idea that they can take creative voices and put them in a more corporate structure to create something more mainstream and appealing. Disney are doing it all the time now, I mean they put the director of Nomadland in charge of the Eternals! 

So while I agree it mostly always comes down to money, there are also a lot of other reasons why stuff gets made: favours being owed, passion projects, agreements being made at coke fuelled parties, diversity obligations, public appearances.. it's not so simple.

I just took a glance at Fullers Wikipedia page. There's some impressive stuff in there. DS9 and Voyager. Discovery and Short Takes. Season 1 of American Gods was fantastic.

Hannibal was pretty good but I think they really overdid it on the gore. It's often more effective to show less and let the audiences mind do the rest. And it's weird that a network TV show was way more gory than the feature films this story is derived from. 

Archived