Trailer Thread: A24 Carat Thread

HexMachina

On 7/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, KalVsWade said:

holy shit

Lol, I wonder how they are going to play off Dahomey's heavy involvement in the slave trade with this "most powerful female warriors in history" shit.

I'm definitely watching it, because I can't readily name a big budget historical Hollywood film set in Africa with black actors (or pretty much any type of film with the exception of Black Panther) in the lead but this type of lazy marketing is definitely going to trigger a lot of people who might have actually gone in, watched it and accidentally learned a teeny, tiny bit more about this period;

43 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Lol, I wonder how they are going to play off Dahomey's heavy involvement in the slave trade with this "most powerful female warriors in history" shit.

I'm definitely watching it, because I can't readily name a big budget historical Hollywood film set in Africa with black actors (or pretty much any type of film with the exception of Black Panther) in the lead but this type of lazy marketing is definitely going to trigger a lot of people who might have actually gone in, watched it and accidentally learned a teeny, tiny bit more about this period;

I suspect it's not just marketing, and that they've substantially rewritten history for this movie. However, I think it would be hypocritical of me to complain too much since I've happily seen tons of movies over the years that have substantially rewritten white history as well to be more palatable. And asian history for that matter (The Last Samurai).

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I wonder how they are going to play off Dahomey's heavy involvement in the slave trade with this "most powerful female warriors in history" shit

Was my first thought, all right.

Nerdist had a decent article a few months back about the Dahomey. Suffice it to say, The Woman King is part of a long tradition of history being gutted in the name of entertainment, so no harm, no foul there. But it's useful to have a sense of just what is likely being changed up.

Looking at the trailer again, not a single sign of the Dahomey using muskets, which they definitely did (though hip-fired, rather than from the shoulder, which is not the ideal way to shoot one). 

37 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Probably my favourite series of the past year, the integration of young talent with the old is finely done. I didn't see Zarn McClarnnon in the trailer though - but looking up his IMDB profile he's been busy and is currently filming the Echo series.

23 hours ago, ithanos said:

Probably my favourite series of the past year, the integration of young talent with the old is finely done. I didn't see Zarn McClarnnon in the trailer though - but looking up his IMDB profile he's been busy and is currently filming the Echo series.

It was so good. I'm glad it's coming back for another season.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The world's first non-linear single shot movie

Not edited like 1917, but just one 90 min take

Looks neat. But they are relying on that "non-linear" part to have any notable claim. There's been a fair number of other true single shot movies made before. Russian Ark is particularly impressive since it has a lot of time jumps as well, albeit all linearly moving forward in time.

13 hours ago, Fez said:

Looks neat. But they are relying on that "non-linear" part to have any notable claim.

Well 92 out of every hundred movies that come from India are trash and India is the largest producer of films in the world. I haven't seen that one yet but I'd safely bet it to be in the other 8. The director's previous outing was a solo film, from start to end only he is in the frame while other character's have just voices, no faces shown. It takes place in the course of a police investigation at the local precinct station equivalent. It was supposed to have been that year's Oscar entry but lost out to an inferior but more publicised Hindi movie, this being minority Tamil. 

EDIT

The sound designer of the solo movie was the one who won the oscar for best sound mixing 2009 (Slumdog millionaire)

Archived