Trailer Thread: A24 Carat Thread

HexMachina

On 8/1/2022 at 7:27 PM, polishgenius said:

This looks super. Also Hangman in Maverick was apparently older than he looked. 

What is it with Jonathan Majors and projects set during the Korean war? If he gets one more of these, he'll officially be in a The-Rock-and-films-set-in-the-jungle kind of territory.

It looks pretty neat though. Great to see stories from another time period being told and I'm on board with more Glenn Powell as well after his turn in Top Gun 2.

Elephants and shippy-ships! Chollas and swordy-swords! Crazy music-dancing and beautiful ladies in beautiful jewels!  HOLY COW!  Thank you!

You know where I live, doncha. Ha!

BTW, I just watched Marakkar Arab Sagar Ka Sher (2021), which has maybe the weirdest so-called Portuguese from the late 15th, early 16th C ever.

I've read Roger Crowley's The Conquerers, about that era of the Portuguese in Africa, India and southeast Asia, that describes what a horror show the Portuguese were as they unleased themselves upon the globe.

That's the background to this 'biographical' pic of the title character.  It's utterly fascinating, despite the utter non-historical, not even a-historically depicted Portuguese, especially de Gama, to get sort of something of this from a non-Portuguese/European perspective -- though even, at least now, historians like Crowley are at least as horrified by what the Portuguese wrought as anyone. 

But I still don't understand why/how the Portuguese so outgunned the forces on India's west coast.. This is the Ottoman era, and the Ottomans' cannon and gunners were at least as good as those from Portugal, and they too were trading and conquering in the Indian Ocean routes -- they went full out naval power after taking Constantinople in 1453, and getting all that access to oceans, via Egypt and the Persian Gulf.  But nobody even mentions the Ottomans, either Crowley or the Kochi traders and rulers, despite them being "arabic/Muslim" by then.  Or maybe this is still just a little early?

https://oxfordre.com/asianhistory/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277727.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277727-e-31?amp;result=1

~~~~~~~~~~~

I will NOT be watching Emily.  Good grief, the sins perpetrated on the Brontes are as bad, if not even worse, than those on Jane Austen.

School for Good and Evil looks like a cut-rate (netflix) Hogworts. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

BTW, I just watched Marakkar Arab Sagar Ka Sher (2021), which has maybe the weirdest so-called Portuguese from the late 15th, early 16th C ever.

Wait, not in HINDI!?

Originally Malayalam

I will NOT be watching Emily.  Good grief, the sins perpetrated on the Brontes are as bad, if not even worse, than those on Jane Austen.

I have a crush on Emma Mackey so ... :wub:

School for Good and Evil looks like a cut-rate (netflix) Hogworts. :rolleyes:

Netflix just produces anything that comes to em or wot?

Elephants and shippy-ships! Chollas and swordy-swords! Crazy music-dancing and beautiful ladies in beautiful jewels!  HOLY COW!  Thank you!

You know where I live, doncha. Ha!

I've read Roger Crowley's The Conquerers, about that era of the Portuguese in Africa, India and southeast Asia, that describes what a horror show the Portuguese were as they unleased themselves upon the globe.

That's the background to this 'biographical' pic of the title character.  It's utterly fascinating, despite the utter non-historical, not even a-historically depicted Portuguese, especially de Gama, to get sort of something of this from a non-Portuguese/European perspective -- though even, at least now, historians like Crowley are at least as horrified by what the Portuguese wrought as anyone. 

But I still don't understand why/how the Portuguese so outgunned the forces on India's west coast.. This is the Ottoman era, and the Ottomans' cannon and gunners were at least as good as those from Portugal, and they too were trading and conquering in the Indian Ocean routes -- they went full out naval power after taking Constantinople in 1453, and getting all that access to oceans, via Egypt and the Persian Gulf.  But nobody even mentions the Ottomans, either Crowley or the Kochi traders and rulers, despite them being "arabic/Muslim" by then.  Or maybe this is still just a little early?

Watch Urumi then

Archived