Trailer Thread: A24 Carat Thread

HexMachina

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Lately I found this,

https://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_etexts/pdf/pm0386.pdf

and other related works.  These things help me help others to formulate their own researches.

Lol I sent 'em, hope you have the pdfs of the rest, last 2 parts/volumes alone still to be translated. But other translators have completed the whole, just that hers is the best and free too.

I see too the film will be in IMAX, as it should be.

First Tamil film in fact

The trailer seems to show some version of Kathakali, at least in make-up and costume, one of the dance forms for which Kerala is famous.  There was for a few years an annual festival of dance from various regions of India at the Brooklyn Academy of Music -- until the economic crisis of 2008 cut that back, and then Tee-Rump and covid finished all the dance festivals.

It's actually Devaraalan (name of a character) Aattam (dance) (not to be confused with Devaraattam), one of the six songs bears the same title. The thumbnail will explain. But yeah, (keen observation on your part) it does look a bit like Kathakali. More accurately its Kuravai Koothu (gypsy equivalent) another of the 6 songs is what is seen in the trailer, Ratschasa Maamanae meaning Demonic....I won't even try explaining it, wait and see. The glossary has the details along with other dance forms like Karagam (balance pots on heads) and Kummi (exclusive to women, folk song celebrating harvest and such) and of course Bharatanatyam.

Edited 11 hours ago by Zorral
Dance, this time, not horsies or elephants!

I wasn't gonna say anything, Honest Injun!

The trailer seems to show some version of Kathakali, at least in make-up and costume, one of the dance forms for which Kerala is famous.

Coincidentally today's Onam

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The title of this movie is interesting. An onion implies many layers, which is expected of a murder mystery story, but being glass, we may see through all the layers right away. So just like how Johnson subverted the murder mystery genre in Knives Out, I expect something similar with this one. 

To my surprise, that looks interesting. I did not know they were shifting it to the early 20th century, which is a bold but rather exciting choice, especially as it might mean the European passage taking place in the tail end of the Belle Epoque.. or perhaps jumping ahead to the post-War? Lestat would have enjoyed the Weimar Republic, I bet...

Eric Begosian is clearly the best thing in it -- just those bits gives the screen some life.  :cheers:  Eric's been having a run despite pandemic: recurring roles in both Billions and Succession, and now this.

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I will be very interested to see how this works on screen.  I really enjoyed William Gibson's 2014 novel, so the people running the show have some top shelf material to work on.

From the trailer, the Trailer Trash Timeline looks too clean compared to my mental image, but much of the rest of it is right on time and target for me.

@Zorral the second untitled rumoured to be an biopic of Velpaari

One of the literary works I sent you is the same

Free gdrive pdf (no transl tho)

Hoping the rumours are false since this director and his crew (everyone!) are utter crap, no matter the budget.

BTW death anniversary of another literary figure I told you about on 9/11 and the PS-1 adapted author's bday today

EDIT

added

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Hoping the rumours are false since this director and his crew (everyone!) are utter crap, no matter the budget.

That trailer does make things look cheesy.  Where have we seen that hawk fly-over before . . . .

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

That trailer motion poster does make things look cheesy.

FTFY :), trailers and teasers are usually much better, this mo po is just a marketing gimmick to raise/sustain hype. 10 languages my ass, make it good in one.

And cheesy is an understatement, more like triple mozzarella.

And those clan chieftain names...

Spoiler

The video mentions the names of certain clans as it moves forward. Whether the clan names are fictitious or real or altered is not clear yet. The names are as follows: Arathar, Venkaater, Mandaankar, Mukaatar, and Perumanathaar.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Where have we seen that hawk fly-over before . . . .

Everywhere

But the costume gives me Assassin's creed vibes.

Anyway back to Ponniyin Selvan, I was wrong about the budget. It's 500 cr alright ( nearly $70 million USD) but they shot both parts as a single movie in 131 days, like Kill Bill or Gangs of Wasseypur with the same budget. Just releasing separately for profit and runtime reasons (1 alone is 170 minutes). So if RRR took 550 c ($72 million USD) for a single film, these guys made two for a lesser price, and the trailer promises excellent production quality.

I was going to post that! I have to say, they have really embraced the full on, high fantasy/sword-and-sorcery aesthetic with the depiction of magic, the locations, etc. 

No idea if it'll actually be good, but it looks like it has potential. It's pretty much the first non-Star Wars thing from Disney+ that has genuinely piqued my interest.

Archived