What's the likelihood that we'll get new POVs in WINDS?

GuestRights

On 5/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, BlackLightning said:

I think it's possible that he had added one. Two max.

1. a Tyrell (either Margaery, Olenna, Garlan or Willas)
  2. someone native to Essos

I would love a Tyrell POV. I hope we get to see what's going on at Highgarden!

On 5/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, GuestRights said:

Given how late the book is, and the fact that GRRMs mention of no new POVs was years ago, how likely that GRRM added a new POV or three to overcome new story knots?

it's definitely likely that we'll get new POVs or at least more POVs than the 13-14 George had speculated before. I have absolutely no idea on whose that might be though . I'd like Aegon's (even more so if he's fAegon) or a Tyrell's(preferably Garlan or Willas) 

George said he wasn’t adding any more new POVs, but he’s probably changed his mind since then. The sad part is, that means we’ll probably get fewer chapters for anyone not named Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, or Arya. Even if Bran and Sansa have more important roles to play in ASOS, I feel like they’ll still only have five or six chapters each. Meanwhile, we’ll get three chapters of Arya sweeping the floors. . . 

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

George said he wasn’t adding any more new POVs, but he’s probably changed his mind since then. The sad part is, that means we’ll probably get fewer chapters for anyone not named Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, or Arya. Even if Bran and Sansa have more important roles to play in ASOS, I feel like they’ll still only have five or six chapters each. Meanwhile, we’ll get three chapters of Arya sweeping the floors. . . 

as long as we only get 3 chapters of her , I'm content:D I mean her chapters are good, but not too many of them...

On 5/23/2022 at 4:46 PM, BlackLightning said:

I think it's possible that he had added one. Two max.

1. a Tyrell (either Margaery, Olenna, Garlan or Willas)
  2. someone native to Essos

Intriguing thought, a Tyrell POV. Somehow always assumed Tommen’s kidnapping. Maybe by Loras posing as Lord Commander since Jaime is far away and danger rises for the little king.

11 hours ago, Haus Berlin said:

Intriguing thought, a Tyrell POV. Somehow always assumed Tommen’s kidnapping. Maybe by Loras posing as Lord Commander since Jaime is far away and danger rises for the little king.

No, if it's going to be a Tyrell POV, then it's going to be in the Reach.

We probably need to see how House Tyrell falls to Euron Greyjoy

On 5/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, GuestRights said:

Given how late the book is, and the fact that GRRMs mention of no new POVs was years ago, how likely that GRRM added a new POV or three to overcome new story knots?

I think it's certainly possible, but maybe not that likely. I think George can maybe add one or two new povs at best. Any more, and you end up with too much material for one book. The most likely way we get a new pov is if it's a character that's never appeared on page before at all. I wouldn't mind a Willas Tyrell perspective.

We could possibly get someone for coverage, but that’s about it.  We're nearing the end, so I doubt he adds any major new storylines (I certainly hope not).  It would probably be for an offshoot of an existing storyline, something like Barristan in Meereen after Dany's departure or Jon Connington with Aegon after Tyrion left. 

Who or what that will be is impossible to guess at this point.  Right now, he has his POVs fairly well situated, though I wonder if Stoneheart and the Riverlands can be adequately covered by Jaime or Brienne.  I doubt we'll need a Tyrell.  We have Aeron with Euron's fleet and Sam in Oldtown, plus Areo Hotah out somewhere in the area.  

The North and Essos have plenty of POVs, and Kings Landing has several present or nearby, so they should be OK as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with what he already has.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:53 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Arya is on the road home to westeros after the mercy chapter. I'd bet a substantial sum on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As of today, zero.

Oh, and there will be new characters as well.   No new viewpoints, I promise you that, but with all these journeys and battles and scheming to come, inevitably our major players will be encountering new people in lands far and near.

The only thing I disagree with him in his post is when he said there will be a big debate at the end on which is better, the books or the show. Unless he decides to utilize the it-was-all-a-dream trope, there will be no debate. ;)

I feel optimistic after his post.

Archived