What superpower would you want that can't be the strength to move planets or whatever

MeanMrMustard

The power of teleportation. Long-distance teleportation at that. It doesn't have to be instantaneous either; I'll settle for a 30 second lag.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tywin et al. said:

My right hand would shoot out a different condiment from each finger and my left would shoot out Stella from one finger and different whiskies and scotches from the others.

Ok but what would your p---s shoot out?

I'm joking...totally joking.

14 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Scientist on NPR was saying the language of the universe is actually chemistry as opposed to mathematics.

I would be interested to hear that one. As far as I'm aware, the modern understanding of chemistry is based upon quantum physics, which is comprised of mathematical models. 

You aren't going to arrive at molecular orbital theory without Schrodinger's equation. So I think it's fair to call mathematics the language of chemistry.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:50 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Yep, eminently practical solution to a lot of day to day inconveniences to a normal life.

You gave me too much credit into the thinking I put behind that post.

I was making a “because penguins can’t fly” joke. 

I'd pick either Jedi mind tricks, or Shisui Uchiha's Mangekyo Sharingan. 

Controlling people by merely looking at them would make life so much easier. Think about it. Turning Moscow Mitch into a die hard librul, who will vote for climate action and gun control, make the orange confess to all his crime, pimp out Ty to Japanese businessmen You can do so much good for the world.

Alternatively time travel to get the lottery numbers and buy the political influence to advance change.

I'd like to be able to inflict bouts of explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting.  Just a single instance of each per episode, but simultaneously, and only preceded by 2 or 3 seconds of gurgling. 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:15 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Scientist on NPR was saying the language of the universe is actually chemistry as opposed to mathematics.

I am not intelligent enough to tell you her explanation, but it was very convincing.:lol:

Chemistry is universal, but I wouldn't say it's the language of the universe.  Mostly the universe is basically empty and boring, with the vast majority of stuff actually happening on the nuclear force level, dark matter/energy aside.  The universe is mostly fusion, and terrestrial chemistry is merely an interesting (to us at least) edge case. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd also take elite gambling skills, be it poker, stocks or betting sporting events.

That's not really a super power.  It's not like I can train to be Superman.  But you could definitely hone any of those skills.  All three are correlated even.  They're all various mixes of applied math, people reading/psychology, data analysis, and risk management. 

For example, card counting black jack is very simple conceptually.  Developing the focus to stay on point long enough is a different skill entirely (where I fall down).  Getting the money down with an edge, and not getting 86d are entirely different skills, but none of them are superpowers.

Well I don't have the vocabulary required but when you first said that I thought it would be about how 'everything' in the universe is a reaction...of some sort. Maybe?

:dunno:

Still...I have to remain in the math-as-language-of-universe camp.

I am adding love languages to my superpower.

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Was looking through the archives of NPR shows but my searching hasn't found the show where the lady made that argument of chemistry as language of the universe. I cannot defend her assertion i guess.

:lol: It's fine, I just thought it would be interesting to hear that viewpoint. I'm still an undergrad, but I've taken Physical Chemistry (which covers quantum chemistry) and the quantum mechanics taught in the physics department, and in my experience the two fields kind of bleed into each other.

A funny little anecdote, but I remember reading that famous physicist Ernest Rutherford was highly annoyed that his work on radioactive decay earned him a Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

12 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Was looking through the archives of NPR shows but my searching hasn't found the show where the lady made that argument of chemistry as language of the universe. I cannot defend her assertion i guess.

Chemistry?! That's merely the physics of the outer electrons.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Chemistry?! That's merely the physics of the outer electrons.

Not to hear her explain it, all for naught though, I was unable to locate her interesting interview.

If I do happen upon it again I'll post it surely.

22 hours ago, The Mance said:

I'd like to be able to inflict bouts of explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting.  Just a single instance of each per episode, but simultaneously, and only preceded by 2 or 3 seconds of gurgling. 

My little granddaughter already has that power. She did it to her parents and me a few months ago. 

At 15 months of age she was walking around with a pail making pretend barfs into it, just like mummy and daddy. She still thinks hearing that is the height of humor.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:08 PM, ThinkerX said:

Also, non-medicinal way to deaden back pain.

I know it won't work for every cause, but have you tried bar bell squats?  Too much sitting made my back weak. Tried chiropracters, massage, electro stimulation etc, but actually I just had a weak back.  Not everyone's problem, but when I get deep enough in a squat where my lower back/hips sort of clicks, it releases most of my back pain for about a week.

Keeps me going to the gym regularly too so that's got added externalities.  

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I know it won't work for every cause, but have you tried bar bell squats?  Too much sitting made my back weak. Tried chiropracters, massage, electro stimulation etc, but actually I just had a weak back.  Not everyone's problem, but when I get deep enough in a squat where my lower back/hips sort of clicks, it releases most of my back pain for about a week.

Keeps me going to the gym regularly too so that's got added externalities.  

I have a whole exercise regime. Includes squats. With the snow gone, also includes daily three mile walks and weekly 6-8 mile bicycle rides

On 6/3/2022 at 1:51 AM, ThinkerX said:

I have a whole exercise regime. Includes squats. With the snow gone, also includes daily three mile walks and weekly 6-8 mile bicycle rides

I do have a non typical frame.  Basically average sized above the waist, but 6'5". (We're dancing around a Fletch joke here for folks of a certain age.) 

And just happened to read an article today about deadlifting and setting the weight on a plate or two to add some elevation.  Which apparently is optimal for longer torso shorter leg folks, but deadlifts never caused me back pain so I was fine pulling off the ground. Deadlifts are pretty much the only main sequence sort of compound lifts where the starting distance is based solely on the the size of the equipment rather than the frame of the lifter, so if that's in play, consider it.

Your frame may vary.  I assume you know the conventional wisdom about not remaining seated all day etc.

Also not a lifting thing per se, but my massage therapist increased my disc golf throws by about 40 feet by unlocking my shoulder.  Tightness anywhere leads to tendon problems somewhere.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived