Monkey pox - are you terrified, yet?

No, my head is full of war and there's no space left for diseases, climate change and other catastrophes. Moreover, I was vaccinated against smallpox, it was obligatory in Poland until 1980. Had chicken pox too.

12 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’ve read that the smallpox vaccine can lose effectiveness over time (though that isn’t critical right now unless one were facing…smallpox). 

I’ve also read that possibly having a previous chickenpox infection or being vaccinated against chickenpox can prevent this monkey pox virus.

Which explains perhaps 2003 infections and also currently young (gay/bisexual male) people. My generation was one of the last where EVERYONE got chickenpox (mine was extremely painful, with chickenpox in my throat) and my son’s generation was a generation where the chickenpox vaccine was a given, unless the parents had weird things against vaccines or just thought it wasn’t necessary.

I had chicken pox about 8 times as a Kid.  All very mild and never more than 4 spots at the itchy stage at a time.  No other symptoms.  I was 10 the last time I managed to catch it.  I kinda guess that this may mean I have less protection against Monkey Pox than most people my age who just get chicken pox once.  although I guess I might not get it as bad since I don't seem to get chicken pox pox bad.

As far as I know the monkey pox virus is related to smallpox, so everyone who got that vaccine in the 60 and 70 is fine. On the other hand monkey pox is not related to chickenpox, so having had chickenpox or the respective vaccine doesnt help

Since I am 70 I of course had chicken pox as a child as I am way older than the vaccine for it. I am sort of amazed at the people on this thread who said they had it more than once in childhood. The one time I had it was bad enough -- I remember itching horribly and my mother bathing me in a tub with baking soda in the water to try to reduce the itching. 

Of course at my age since I've had chicken pox my quandary is whether or not I should get the shingles vaccine. 

Hate to admit it, but I didn't even know there was a vaccine for chickenpox until reading this thread.  My brother and I got it when I was 5 and I barely remember it.

Posted (edited)

Is there vaccine against chicken pox at all? I think one has to get ill to  gain immunity. And normally you cannot catch it twice. For sure there is one against smallpox or ''true pox" as it is called in Poland.

Edited by broken one

Posted (edited)

Why are people talking about chickenpox when we're probably, in all likelihood, dealing with a bio-engineered weapon of war?

Edited by Spockydog

Shingles is painful and the pain can last. You could lose your vision. Yes, you can get it from previous chicken pox or personal contact.  I have the Shingles vaccine on my list, but I’ve been saving my limited stamina for boosters. I think there are two different companies?  One vaccine is split. I haven’t done the due diligence. I will get it as soon as I’m in good enough shape.

Also, chickenpox and monkeypox are completely different types of virus, so having had chickenpox as a kid really isn't going to help you here. 

At least, that's what some virologist was saying on the radio. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Why are people talking about chickenpox

For me it was just cuz I didn't know until now there was a chickenpox vaccine.

Edited by DMC

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Why are people talking about chickenpox when we're probably, in all likelihood, dealing with a bio-engineered weapon of war?

Are we? Or is this some sorta Wuhan lab reloaded. Do you know anything about patient zero, or are you just guessing?

6 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I had chicken pox about 8 times as a Kid.  All very mild and never more than 4 spots at the itchy stage at a time.  No other symptoms.  I was 10 the last time I managed to catch it.  I kinda guess that this may mean I have less protection against Monkey Pox than most people my age who just get chicken pox once.  although I guess I might not get it as bad since I don't seem to get chicken pox pox bad.

8 times?  It's so extremely rare to contract a second time, let alone a third time. Not impossible...but 8 seems lime a reason for a note in a medical journal...

I don't think I knew much about the vaccine for Chicken Pox before I had kids of my own...but I also know that there were those anti-vaxxers who'd have "chicken pox parties" when one kid got it and all those anti-vaxxing moms would send their kids over to ground zero to catch it all at once...which is just terrible parenting...

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Are we? Or is this some sorta Wuhan lab reloaded. Do you know anything about patient zero, or are you just guessing?

Complete speculation. Based upon the fact that the WHO are calling the outbreak 'atypical', coupled with the rapid geographical spread for a disease that is supposedly much more difficult to transmit than Covid. 

It took Covid months to spread around the world. This just seems wrong. 

Posted (edited)

Caught it [chicken pox I mean to avoid confusion] when I was around 10-12 or so. I remember it, because it was holiday season, and I caught it a couple of days before departure. I boarded the plane anyway, talking about responsible parenting... :leaving:

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Complete speculation. Based upon the fact that the WHO are calling the outbreak 'atypical', coupled with the rapid geographical spread for a disease that is supposedly much more difficult to transmit than Covid. 

It took Covid months to spread around the world. This just seems wrong. 

Personally, I would keep the speculations out of discussions. Monkey pox are simply not lethal and transmissable enough to be a super effective bio weapon. So that would speak against this bio weapon hypothesis. 

Geographical spread. Yeah, possible. But then again, might be a pilot or flight attendant or something banging around as a super spreader. :dunno:

So no point in going down the bio weapon wormhole just, yet.