Could Larys have killed Helaena?

Canon Claude

I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but I can’t help suspecting that Helaena’s death was Larys’ work.

We know that he was secretly hiding out in the city to sow discord and turn the people against Rhaenyra, and I feel like if Helaena was going to kill herself, she could have done it long before she actually died.

Larys knows the city better than most, he’s quite happy to commit murder, and he could have realised that Helaena’s murder would be taken badly by the people of King’s Landing. Plus it means that Aegon II will be free to remarry and father more children.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

No, I think it’s left an open mystery, and moreover a reflection of Lady Macbeth. 

I don’t know… I feel like if GRRM wanted to pull a Lady Macbeth, it would have been Alicent Hightower who threw herself to her death. Helaena never conspired or committed murders as far as we know. She’s more like Lady MacDuff afaic 

40 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

I don’t know… I feel like if GRRM wanted to pull a Lady Macbeth, it would have been Alicent Hightower who threw herself to her death. Helaena never conspired or committed murders as far as we know. She’s more like Lady MacDuff afaic 

Not talking about guilt, nor would I necessarily say Alicent Hightower was guilty in the same way, though I fear the show is going to lean that way. 

I’m talking more about how the madness and then suicide of the wife were external evidence of the internal erosion of stability and then ~ moral collapse of the husband/administration. It’s what directly precedes Macbeth’s proto-nihilistic speech. At least it’s always struck me that way, but as Mcb was possibly my favourite dramatic role to play, I might be biased here. 

Archived