Covid 47: Waving Invisibly

Zorral

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Does your 13-year-old feel as badly as you?  Curious about that.

I'm preparing for the 32 -36 hours of the usual rottenness after a covid jab.  Just told Partner to remember English Muffins so he can make me eggs and toast when the time comes late Monday and on Tuesday that I need them in order to take more Tylenol, on a not empty stomach.

He doesn't feel quite as bad. Both of us observe that things which slightly were sore the day before hurt a LOT today, so any aches and pains appear to be magnified.

I have noticed that all my sites of chronic -- often severe too -- pain, are exactly where the reaction starts, generally almost in tandem with very severe chills.  So far I've been lucky as to essentially sleep through most of it, with the help of Tylenol.

Getting my second booster Monday night. I have to work Tuesday, but I'll be working from home, so hopefully I'll struggle through any side effects okay. Will definitely give me a bit more peace of mind to have the shoot, as my last booster was in December 2021 so I am probably not super protected anymore.

My only reaction to the vaccine so far has been tenderness in the injection site. I've had 4 now. Hopefully the next one will the the annual pre-winter one, developed with a more recent version of omicron. At least that's what I hope they do each year, similar to 'flu.

5 hours ago, Starkess said:

Getting my second booster Monday night. I have to work Tuesday, but I'll be working from home, so hopefully I'll struggle through any side effects okay. Will definitely give me a bit more peace of mind to have the shoot, as my last booster was in December 2021 so I am probably not super protected anymore.

Congratulations on the job, saw your announcement on your YouTube channel.

Ugh.  If you are all, talking about the new booster than ok.  If you all are still taking the booster that protects against the fire that burned down the barn 3 years ago then for myself at least, I'd take the other side and trust that my previous exposure is less of a risk than ending up in the excess mortality cohort.  (For the record I seem to be in excellent health minus some elbow bursitis, and have no cardio or respitory issues I'm aware of.)

Had covid, not really interested in taking a booster thats going to tell my immune system to target the 2019 variant.  Espescially since I no longer own any vaccine manufacturing stocks directly.

NZ dropping pretty much all remaining COVID measures. Masking in healthcare places, 7 day iso for people testing positive (day 1 is symptom onset) both remain. The few vax mandates that continued up to now (healthcare workers) now gone too. 

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Ugh.  If you are all, talking about the new booster than ok.

I think the old boosters are being discontinued in favor of the new (updated Pfizer or Moderna (bivalent) booster.

I dont think they will even have the outdated vaxx (non bivalent ones) as an option going forward.

Got jabbed this morning. Yes, OF COURSE the Omicron tweaked version.  That's all there is now, at least for anyone who has been double vaxxed already and / or has had at least one dose of the first booster version.  The guidelines / info pages /screens about who, where, when, etc. when making appointments make it very clear.  Evidently only those who don't read don't know this.

Unlike the last 4 jabs -- all Moderna and made for the old version -- it's been over 7 hours, and nothing, other than somewhat sleepy.  But I didn't sleep that well or much last night so it could just be that.

This is a different formula, and maybe it won't provoke the 32 - 36 hour reaction of exhaustion, chills, muscle and bone aches -- which were kept fairly under control with Tylenol, which the exhaustion had me sleeping through a lot of it.  It would be great if this is the case.  Doubtless by posting this, I'll get hit hard in another hour!  :lol:

From most expert commentators I've read the view is that the current omicron booster is not all that much more protective than the OG vaccine. So if people think their immunity is hitting that waning point any booster should help.

Another thing I've read, mostly in the mainstream press, is that multiple COVID infections increases the risk of long COVID with each infection. So even if people have had COVID before and think they don't need to get boosters after 6 months, that is possibly not the best decision.

I haven't heard whether there will be further development of vaccines to update to the latest Omicron variant. I would be disappointed if the transition to annual booster (I'm assuming) in 2023 will be using a legacy strain. I would prefer ongoing boosters to maximise infection prevention rather than just reduced severity / hospitalisation / death of infection.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

From most expert commentators I've read the view is that the current omicron booster is not all that much more protective than the OG vaccine. So if people think their immunity is hitting that waning point any booster should help.

Another thing I've read, mostly in the mainstream press, is that multiple COVID infections increases the risk of long COVID with each infection. So even if people have had COVID before and think they don't need to get boosters after 6 months, that is possibly not the best decision.

I haven't heard whether there will be further development of vaccines to update to the latest Omicron variant. I would be disappointed if the transition to annual booster (I'm assuming) in 2023 will be using a legacy strain. I would prefer ongoing boosters to maximise infection prevention rather than just reduced severity / hospitalisation / death of infection.

The EU just approved the  BA.4/BA.5 and Pfizer vaccine. Are there any new relevant variants? 

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The EU just approved the  BA.4/BA.5 and Pfizer vaccine. Are there any new relevant variants? 

There probably will be, after the upcoming northern winter. Is there any evidence there won't be new variants?

But it is good to know there is a BA.4 / .5 vaccine

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

There probably will be, after the upcoming northern winter. Is there any evidence there won't be new variants?

But it is good to know there is a BA.4 / .5 vaccine

I'm not saying that there won't be new variants just that at least the mRNA companies are on the ball when they are not busy suing each other(obviously the suing is done by a different part of the company ;) ).

About 8 - 9 PM the reaction to the new vax began to manifest, with the usual fatigue.  At 10 I gave up resisting, took Tylenol and retired, while Partner read me to sleep, me already starting to feel a bit achy and chilled.  Woke about 3:30 very achy and chilled, took another Tylenol, drank a gallon of water, and lay there paralyzed for quite some time, mildly hallucinating -- more quickly than in the past, the Tylenol did its job, and I only woke because my bladder woke me -- which meant I also drank then, another gallon of water (gallon is somewhat an exaggeration). About noon I woke feeling more like a person than a disassociated alien in the world.  Now drinking splendid tea and looking forward to breakfast and another Tylonel.  By about 3 PM I'll probably decree the reaction is finished with.

All in all it was several degrees milder than the last two reactions, particularly the one before this.

Been jabbed 5 times now for covid.  I suppose will do it again mid-December?  It's clearly worth it, being vaccinated, and I'll keep doing it, and masking.

I really am not feeling well, which includes each time about this point in recovery of the sensation of having an electrical shock running across my upper back -- aggravation to the multiple clusters of pinched nerves around my damaged verterbrae, I presume.  It is really miserable, and there seems little to nothing, movement wise or medication wise to make it stop except time.

So much for my Grand Plan of getting the jab as early in the day as could be scheduled with the idea I'd only miss out one day due to jab unwellness, presumably sleeping through all of the last of it.

Tomorrow will be better though. But I have so much to do. Dayem.

I'm feeling okay after my booster. Definitely not 100%, I was incredibly tired last night and went to bed rather early, only to wake up in the middle of the night feeling achy and tired. Still feeling draggy and tired today, and my arm is sore, but nothing major. I am working (from home) and was even able to do a bit of a workout. 

Right after getting the shot last night, I felt very dizzy and my feet were all tingly, but I think it was mostly anxiety about whether I would react poorly to the shot. Due to some logistical snafus regarding my move and my new job, my health insurance coverage doesn't start until Oct 1 and my previous insurance ended Aug 31, so I'm feeling very vulnerable for the next couple weeks.

It will get better, assuredly.  It always has for me, though I always am surprised when the reaction and recovery are as long as they are -- which aren't really that long.  It's always been less than 48 hours.

In the meantime you're better protected against severe illness and long covid than you were.  As our Traveler who was infected on his way home from his Colombia trip says, "Thank goodness for the vaccines."  He was positive for nearly 10 days, but not really sick at all.  He painted his garage door and did lots of tasks of that nature while confined at home.  My brother says the same thing -- the entire household from 2 1/2 year old to him got infected and were positive, but none of them were sick-sick for very long or very much -- sniffles, mostly.  He continued to obsessively pick up the wind downed sticks on his lawn and clean the house's gutters, and take his daily bike ride.

Whereas the ND familia who all got infected last month, and who never vaxxed -- two went to the hospital, and they still can't get out of bed.  The others are also dragging about, unable to do very much of anything, while going, "I don't understand it, why this is still going on."

Archived