Covid 47: Waving Invisibly

Zorral

Ya, I know what you mean.  High Holy Days will restart the spiking, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.  We've only been gifted with less than a month of falling numbers.

4th dose (second booster) has only been rolled out to over 50's and higher risk individuals here (unless something has changed in the last 3 or 4 weeks). Not quite sure why, possibly govt is buying in less vaccine now, so doesn't have supply to meet expected demand if it was opened to everyone.

First booster uptake is 73% across the whole population, so I expect 2nd booster uptake, if made generally available would be pretty decent, maybe 40-50%. Even with 2nd booster being limited to 50+ and vulnerable the the daily 2nd booster rate is almost 10x all other vaccinations combined (1st, 2nd, 3rd, paediatric vaccination).

We have a 7 day rolling average of 3 deaths per day attributed to COVID. Converting that to US population for comparative purposes, that's ~180 deaths per day. Or 0.6 deaths per million per day. 

Edited by The Anti-Targ

Ya, I know what you mean.  High Holy Days will restart the spiking, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.  We've only been gifted with less than a month of falling numbers.

In the meantime, fall arriving exactly on the first day of autumn with cool, blustery weather -- Partner feeling very sick. This weather does make him sick, historically speaking.  But -- tested today.  Negative.  Whew!  Whew because we've been far more public and social.  I even went with Partner and two friends Wednesday night to Radio City Music Hall-- the first time I've done anything at all like this since pandemic.  Like Partner, the friends have been doing a lot more social - professional in large companies all along than I do.  None of us have gotten it. So far.  

Friends, their son and we wore masks all through the spectacle and transportation.  Nobody else did.

On 9/23/2022 at 2:32 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

4th dose (second booster) has only been rolled out to over 50's and higher risk individuals here (unless something has changed in the last 3 or 4 weeks). Not quite sure why, possibly govt is buying in less vaccine now, so doesn't have supply to meet expected demand if it was opened to everyone.

First booster uptake is 73% across the whole population, so I expect 2nd booster uptake, if made generally available would be pretty decent, maybe 40-50%. Even with 2nd booster being limited to 50+ and vulnerable the the daily 2nd booster rate is almost 10x all other vaccinations combined (1st, 2nd, 3rd, paediatric vaccination).

We have a 7 day rolling average of 3 deaths per day attributed to COVID. Converting that to US population for comparative purposes, that's ~180 deaths per day. Or 0.6 deaths per million per day. 

We are throwing vaccines away all the time as uptake for boosters is low and we ordered millions of doses that next to nobody seems to want especially the Valneva and Novavax vaccines.

I will try to get a bivalent booster at some point but I only had my 4th shot in June.

They have detected BJ.1 here which is kinda interesting as we don't do much sequencing. They have no evidence that it is spreading in a way that could replace to currently dominant BA.4/5 variants though.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

This is interesting and informative; it's also long, and behind the sub paywall, but quoting parts doesn't give any sense of the whole.

Five things about covid we still don’t understand about covid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/09/26/covid-questions-variants-long-covid/

A 70+ year old friend of mine just said he has been officially diagnosed with long COVID (if there is such a thing as an official diagnosis, in the least it's not a self-diagnosis but a diagnosis given by his doctor). Pretty much ticks off all the most common symptoms for long COVID. He's not an especially healthy dude and spent a day in hospital when he had COVID. I think if he wasn't vaccinated he might be dead.

He also very has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and enlarged liver. Not sure if there is a known causative link to these. Organ damage is mostly heart and lung isn't it?

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

A 70+ year old friend of mine just said he has been officially diagnosed with long COVID (if there is such a thing as an official diagnosis, in the least it's not a self-diagnosis but a diagnosis given by his doctor). Pretty much ticks off all the most common symptoms for long COVID. He's not an especially healthy dude and spent a day in hospital when he had COVID. I think if he wasn't vaccinated he might be dead.

He also very has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and enlarged liver. Not sure if there is a known causative link to these. Organ damage is mostly heart and lung isn't it?

I have heard of liver damage before but only read up on it after a family member got it as part of his long COVID symptoms.

I think there is no organ it can't damage if you are unlucky.