He who was promised is coming

Young Wolf

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ha.

I understand. Even if Little Jax is still a little shy of that. Is Bran in 6th next year, or are you in a funky cut off date place?

6th grade next year. Almost wish it was 5th again. COVID, man. :/ 

22 minutes ago, Mya Stone said:

6th grade next year. Almost wish it was 5th again. COVID, man. :/ 

Here you. We're doing 6th and 7th next year...though the Little Lady thinks she's the stuff...

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mav said:

hey guys

Welcome, my lord.

I regret to inform you that this summons was wasted. I don't have any daughters, and I'm soon retiring to my country estate. Where I also don't have any daughters.  

On 5/26/2022 at 9:35 PM, Ormond said:

Thanks for asking!

Here are the number of boys named Maverick born in the USA according to SSA for the years 1984-1997:

1984: 6

1985: 16

1986: 19

1987: 44

1988: 48

1989: 54

1990: 75

1991: 88

1992: 76

1993: 101

1994: 128

1995: 148

1996: 167

1997: 189

So it looks to me like "Top Gun" did have an effect.  It seems to have started the name on its rise. The Mel Gibson "Maverick" film in 1994 coincided with the name getting into the top 1000 list, but may not have been as big a factor as I originally thought. 

Part of me wonders what the 2008 Presidential election did to the name in the US (cue Sarah Palin: Maverick. Maverick. Doing Maverick(y) stuff. 

Part of me just assumes the popularity of the name must have taken a nosedive '09 onward.

I mean, "maverick" was McCain's nickname, not Palin's.  Mark Salter - McCain's CoS, speechwriter, and co-author - dubbed him it in the late 90s and it was popularized during his 2000 presidential campaign.  Palin adopted it sure as his running mate, but most at the time would associate it with McCain first.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, "maverick" was McCain's nickname, not Palin's.  Mark Salter - McCain's CoS, speechwriter, and co-author - dubbed him it in the late 90s and it was popularized during his 2000 presidential campaign.  Palin adopted it sure as his running mate, but most at the time would associate it with McCain first.

Arguably, but really for me it was more Tina Fey as Palin on SNL in the VP debate. Not intentional or anything. Just the very first thing that came to my mind.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Arguably, but really for me it was more Tina Fey as Palin on SNL in the VP debate. Not intentional or anything. Just the very first thing that came to my mind.

Well yeah Fey as Palin started the Maverick-y thing.

5 hours ago, JGP said:

Welcome, my lord.

I regret to inform you that this summons was wasted. I don't have any daughters, and I'm soon retiring to my country estate. Where I also don't have any daughters.  

Lies. :P

Archived