Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

I've started the new season of stranger things, a decent beginning but definitely didn't grab me the way that first season did. I'm not sure if thats more of a me thing (I watch less these days and the whole binge watch thing doesn't work for me) or the show being a slower build

I am also finally getting around to the final season of Derry Girls, which is a joy to watch. The best moments are still those that almost slip by unnoticed, the small asides and turns of phrase in the midst of a conversation. I'll draw out watching this for a while I think. I am ultimately glad its coming to an end before it becomes stale though

Watched the first two Kenobi eps. Teeny Leia is adorable. The rest is kinda as expected? Nothing shocking here. It all looks and sounds and pans out just like you'd think it would. 

I don't really have much interest in Stranger Things S4. I found S3 a bit draggy, the jokes were a bit forced, like they'd run out of good ideas or material. I'll probably try the first ep of S4 to see what it's like, but I have low expectations at this point. 

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I've started the new season of stranger things, a decent beginning but definitely didn't grab me the way that first season did. I'm not sure if thats more of a me thing (I watch less these days and the whole binge watch thing doesn't work for me) or the show being a slower build

I am also finally getting around to the final season of Derry Girls, which is a joy to watch. The best moments are still those that almost slip by unnoticed, the small asides and turns of phrase in the midst of a conversation. I'll draw out watching this for a while I think. I am ultimately glad its coming to an end before it becomes stale though

I'm delighted to hear that my parents have gotten hooked on Derry Girls, though not as a result of my multiple recommendations but by the Netflix Recommends menu, which they treat very seriously. They miss a lot of the language and even more of the local idioms and references, but they're hooked. Dad said they rewatch one or two scenes per episode and generally catch on to the best gags the second go-around. My time spent working in New York Irish pubs left me a better grasp of Irish accents than most midwesterners (less so the references to history and politics I've not been exposed to), and I've been trying to hook family and friends on the show for years. I've not caught up with the most recent season, so I'll likely pass by their viewing this week.

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maximum Overdrive is a masterpiece in bad filmmaking. Studios need to give King cocaine and an endless budget to turn out more great shitty films like this.

I love that movie. Un-ironically. One of the greatest soundtracks ever. The unreleased stuff is excellent too.

Pretty good cinematography too. The protagonists sweat almost as much as the first Top Gun movie. 

13 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm delighted to hear that my parents have gotten hooked on Derry Girls, though not as a result of my multiple recommendations but by the Netflix Recommends menu, which they treat very seriously. They miss a lot of the language and even more of the local idioms and references, but they're hooked. Dad said they rewatch one or two scenes per episode and generally catch on to the best gags the second go-around. My time spent working in New York Irish pubs left me a better grasp of Irish accents than most midwesterners (less so the references to history and politics I've not been exposed to), and I've been trying to hook family and friends on the show for years. I've not caught up with the most recent season, so I'll likely pass by their viewing this week.

I'm from the UK and have never had trouble with deciphering accents but then I also watch with subtitles so it wouldn't matter all that much anyway. But yes, I love rewatching scenes and will always pick up a little something I missed first go round, whether it is a random aside or the expression on someones face or someone (usually Orla) doing something funny in the background of a shot. That's my day to day humour to though, the kind of thing that gets glossed over and then at the end of the sentence you say "Wait, what?" And then wheeze laugh uncontrollably.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I love that movie. Un-ironically. One of the greatest soundtracks ever. The unreleased stuff is excellent too.

I was shocked to learn AC/DC wrote a couple big hits just for this movie. At least something positive came out of it.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You'll be flying into the danger zone before hopefully not flying into the danger zone. Your plane likely doesn't have an after burner but if you ask nicely the pilot might do some rolls. Have the stewardess ask for you or the TSA might get involved and you'll end up on tik tok. 

I'm trying to be positive this morning. 

I changed continents and I guess where I am now counts as the danger zone XD

I did see the film again in IMAX right before I left on Thursday and it was another home run for me. Despite the fact that I knew what was coming I was still at the edge of my seat. That’s a sign of class I can tell you right now.

I hope that 248 million USD opening weekend will be the start of a trend where the film breaks the bank.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was shocked to learn AC/DC wrote a couple big hits just for this movie. At least something positive came out of it.

"Chase The Ace", "D.T." and "Who Made Who". They also did some instrumental breaks that are in the movie but were never released seprately.

If you owned the cassette it also had a version of "Shake Your Foundations" with a slightly different intro, but the compact disc version had the original, Fly On The Wall arrangement. The Who Made Who version is better.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I did see the film again in IMAX right before I left on Thursday and it was another home run for me. Despite the fact that I knew what was coming I was still at the edge of my seat. That’s a sign of class I can tell you right now.

I hope that 248 million USD opening weekend will be the start of a trend where the film breaks the bank.

It's just a damn good movie. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

... also, remember that in the alternate timeline where no one ever heard of Covid-19, Top Gun Maverick would have hit theaters three weeks after WW84. The invisible jet malarkey would have been fresh in our brains when the amazing spectacle of that last 30 minutes of TG:M seared itself into peoples retinas. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've probably heard that song over 100 times. Learning that this is the origins of it, * chef's kiss*

Easily their biggest hit of the mid-80's and a regular concert staple today. Steven King is a massive fan.

Just got back from the theater (IMAX) for Top Gun. My adrenaline is still going though I don’t think this compares to Fury Road. Good movie though and glad to catch it in theaters.

Spoiler

The love interest stuff was too convenient. The financially successful, independent business owner, and incredibly attractive ex-girlfriend being inexplicably single and falling so easily for Maverick was quite a stretch. 

Loved the homage paid to the original in terms of the F-14, Iceman and Goose even ithough Maverick “let’s go” in the first film.

Good action scenes too.

Fun time all around.

Finished Season 2 of The Wilds.

Hard to think of a show that is so finely balanced between being good solid entertainment and absolute bullshit garbage.

I find myself incredibly conflicted on it because I'm quite often sucked in watching the dynamics of the kids on the island, being genuinely interested in their backstory and wanting to know what happens next, all the while realising that the concept behind the show is so badly thought out, so cheaply written, so insulting to the intelligence of the viewer that the entire show should simply collapse under the weight of it's own stupidity.

And there are times where it attempts to be clever or subtle, or 'arty' and it really cannot pull it off. There is a section where Ben Folds turns up in a series of hallucinations for a character which I'm sure the writers felt was a left-field  groundbreaking piece of writing, but actually was very very dumb and fit very poorly into the rest of the show. But then the Lost style flashbacks are often more compelling than I'd expect and some of the backstories of the characters actually add to your enjoyment of watching them, it's like they actually cared to give characters depth.

What I will say is a positive about the show, which is something I felt about the first season, is that unlike a lot of teeny media, it's not afraid of going against the progressive tide, and doesn't just make the same old statements on society that most shows and movies go for. So while it is absolutely comfortable putting LGBT relationships front and centre and exploring them, talking about race or femininity.. it also has a main villain who is a bonkers misandrist uber feminist determined to prove that men are inferior. The show has some really good and interesting gay characters, but it also has no problem making them not perfect, where they abuse their status to cancel people. 

It's quite refreshing a take, it's just a shame it is in such a hit and miss tv show 

Bosch: Legacy is a pretty good continuation of the series so far — about three or four eps in.  I hate having to watch commercials with it, so only shows I know I definitely like a lot, or shows getting massive amounts of buzz, will be considered for streaming with ads.  I just don’t want to go back to that mode of viewing.

We also discovered Cuffs on Amazon Prime.  It’s a lightweight British drama about the initial-response police teams.  We’ve watched too many of the darker detective series lately.  Enjoyable enough so far.

I’ve started Stranger Things S4 by myself because my wife doesn’t like any kind of horror (I don’t enjoy horror either, but ST is distinctly PG-13 horror).  S4 is darker but still enjoyable, and feels less silly so far than my recollection of S3.

I just finished Stranger Things Season 1

I avoided this show for a long time. But I gave in. I boarded the hype train on the way to Hype Town. Population: Me. 

I really enjoyed the first season. Great performances all around. The kids are awesome. Wynona Ryder is amazing. David Barbour too. Mathew Modine is a great villain. 

On to season 2.

16 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Bosch: Legacy is a pretty good continuation of the series so far

Final episode really disappointed me.  I'd liked and been engaged and was satisfied with it up to then, though this continuation was not quite up to the standards of the previous versions.  But the final episode screwed the pooch on this continuation.  My reasons do include spoilers.

Spoiler

Making it end on a cliffhanger, a cliffhanger moreover that is writing the young female protagonist of the show into the jeopardy of rape and murder -- when Our Maddie's already been through that when younger in the previous -- it's just that really frackin' lazy writing and failure of narrative imagination -- ooo, young cop in training, let have HER kidnapped and raped.  No.  Just NO.

What it takes for streamers to provide dialogue and subtitles in a variety of languages for productions outside of country of origin.

https://www.vulture.com/article/localization-translation-international-streaming.html

As audiences embrace subtitles, translated series have become more common, particularly on streaming services. From the Netflix hits Squid Game, Money Heist, Babylon Berlin, and Call My Agent, to Tokyo Vice on HBO Max, to Pachinko and Tehran on Apple TV+, more international shows are breaking through on mainstream American platforms, requiring streamers to navigate an array of global nuances as they localize new titles. Localization, or the process of readying a title produced in one country to be watched in another, is a minefield of logistical challenges and cultural sensitivities that includes commissioning translations for audio dubs, closed captions, and subtitles; juggling bilingual casts and crews; and adjusting to colloquial terms and cultural traditions across different languages. We are far removed from the days of flagrant cultural erasure through dubbing — Pokémon once tried to pass off a Japanese rice ball as a “jelly donut” — but high-profile releases like Squid Game can still reignite yearslong debates about how best to adapt international titles for Stateside consumption.

When Squid Game dropped on Netflix and became a global sensation, it didn’t take long for complaints to pour in about how clumsily the show’s original Korean dialogue had been translated. Lines were mangled; character traits were flubbed; honorifics were mishandled. The show unintentionally served as an example of how localization can go wrong. That’s why improving the quality of translated content has become a priority for streamers increasingly tapping into their international resources for the next big hit. It’s a process that generally unfolds over the course of five steps. ....

The Northman (2022), beautifully directed. It is quite arty but I never got bored. The plot is intentionally simplistic and can basically be summed up in one line, although maybe there was some subtext and hidden meanings I was missing.

Archived