Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

So will I, to watch the actor, Stephen A. Chang, as Maurice 'Mo' Bassi. He was the best new thing for the new series.

~~~~~~~~~

I never bothered to finish even season 1. 2 1/2 eps of Raised by Wolves was enough.  More than enough.

Same.  On both shows, in fact.

Mo Bassi’s hacking became a cheat code for Bosche’s investigation.  The writers need to be careful to not make it too effortless.

15 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/raised-by-wolves-canceled-hbo-max-1235284387/

Raised by Wolves cancelled. I never bothered to watch season 2 after how season 1 ended. 

Gah. I have stalled about 7-8 eps into S1. Will try to power through to the end this weekend. Along with finishing off Stranger Things S4, which is less annoying than I was expecting but at the same time I don't really care about it very much.

Last night we binged a bunch of Hunted (both regular and celeb versions). I have a bit of a love/hate thing with this show. Partly I get annoyed at some of the half-truths the hunters come out with - they misspeak with terms quite a bit, e.g. calling stuff 'intelligence' when they mean assessment. Also, their hit-rate on finding out where the fugitives are is just too high to be realistic (i.e. it's fake, they are cheating). In real life, they'd hit a wall more often. And the thing that gets to me the most is the number of members of the public who grass on the fugitives! Why would any decent person do this? If it's a celeb (maybe one you don't like), they are doing the show to win money for charity, so why would you want to stop that happening? If it's a member of the public, then I have absolutely no idea why would you be a grass. It makes no sense to me at all. NEVER be a grass.

Saw it earlier this week at a screening, where vax proof, testing and masks were required from the RSVP audience.  It's not like any film we've seen before, for many reasons.

With ‘Neptune Frost,’ How to Make an Afrofuturist Sci-Fi Musical
What does technological progress look like to those exploited to achieve it? The co-directors Saul Williams and Anisia Uzeyman discuss their unusual film.

Q&A with the directors (who are a long-time couple) here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/movies/neptune-frost-behind-the-scenes.html

Part of what makes this film so engaging, so interesing, so fresh!  --

.... Given that the music represents an integral storytelling aspect here, can you explain the thought process behind its composition?

WILLIAMS: The music came first. I grew up on musicals and one of the goals was to make one that corresponds with the musical interests that have been a part of my exploration as an artist. I was interested in polyrhythm because we made the connection between drum rhythms and coding because drums themselves have been used for wireless communication. We were playing with the idea of drum coding in terms of computer programming, and the exploration of what is beyond the binary in the question of gender. 

UZEYMAN: Music was also a great means to communicate with the actors who are all singers and musicians. They have that very privileged relationship to rhythm. It was a way of working toward their own understanding of the characters that they were playing and how their voices evolve over the arch of the story.....

A.O. Scott's NYT review here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/movies/neptune-frost-review.html

Trailer here:

Ha! The New Yorker Mag's Richard Brody reviews RRR.

The Netflix Hit “RRR” Is a Political Screed, an Action Bonanza, and an Exhilarating Musical
The title stands for “Rise Roar Revolt,” and the film turns Indian history into delirious legend

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/the-netflix-hit-rrr-is-a-political-screed-an-action-bonanza-and-an-exhilarating-musical

Spoiler -- Brody liked RRR.  He really liked it.  For the reasons we here who watched it liked it.

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is free on Prime (at least in the US region) and it's a delight. The horror films from the mid 70's through the mid 80's are so much better than most of what we get today, and the old look only enhances them. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is free on Prime (at least in the US region) and it's a delight. The horror films from the mid 70's through the mid 80's are so much better than most of what we get today, and the old look only enhances them. 

That's a great fucking movie.

Though, I will never forget being completely weirded out by seeing Leonard Nimoy without pointy ears.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Another one from that period which stands up really well is Time After Time. Jack the Ripper uses HG Wells' Time Machine to travel to late Seventies San Francisco. 

Have not heard of this one. Looks really interesting. Will be checking it out later today.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm probably alone here, but I always preferred the 1993 version. I agree about the era though. Alligator and the 80's The Blob are two of my favorite horror movies.

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm probably alone here, but I always preferred the 1993 version. I agree about the era though. Alligator and the 80's The Blob are two of my favorite horror movies.

Not sure I've seen any of those. Alligator looks like a good bit of fun.

Waiting for the French Open final to start I watched another horror film from that era, 1979's Prophecy. The only way to describe it is to say it's really weird. It's not a good movie, but it's still worth watching if you can get it for free.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agree with this. The 78 version is really horrifying, and sticks in your head. It was such a good period because movies in general were going through a more auteur period, but also I guess that there was just commercial space for well made Horror movies that were taken seriously. Nowadays horrors are still firmly in the low budget category and are either Blumhouse crap or maybe an A24 movie that most people will hate or think is too weird. 

It also helps that the special effects in that period were animatronic or just relied on lighting or performaces, rather than ‘here is a green screen monster, look scared’

Nothing in modern day horror is more iconically scary than Donald Sutherland pointing at the screen 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure I've seen any of those. Alligator looks like a good bit of fun.

Waiting for the French Open final to start I watched another horror film from that era, 1979's Prophecy. The only way to describe it is to say it's really weird. It's not a good movie, but it's still worth watching if you can get it for free.

Alligator is great, it's got Robert Foster! I didn't mention Prophecy only because I mentioned it in the last thread when I posted this:

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Alligator is one of the first movies I ever watched on a VHS in 1983 at a friend's birthday party...Tron was the second movie we watched that night...

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Another one from that period which stands up really well is Time After Time. Jack the Ripper uses HG Wells' Time Machine to travel to late Seventies San Francisco. 

Pretty fun film overall. For some reason I feel like I watched it a HS film class. A chase scene with two actors who can't actually run is pure comedy.

Also, still blows my mind I went to HS with a girl who looks exactly like a young Steenburgen. 

On 6/5/2022 at 9:41 AM, RumHam said:

Just finished it and I can't lie, it's stupid as all hell...and a lot of fun!

I actually quite liked season 2 of Raised By Wolves.  It's clear the show creators have a plan, and screwing with the Mithraists was part of it. 

Ultimately though, it might be just repeating Battlestar Galactica's All This Has Happened Before, All This Will Happen Again.

A good video explaining the show:

Archived