Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

On 5/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, Ran said:

I don't know if HBO will order a second season or not, and indeed after nearly a month it feels like it may be on the bubble. 

That was regarding Tokyo Vice, but I just saw a PR from HBO that they've renewed the show for a second season after all.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, RumHam said:

Alligator is great, it's got Robert Foster! 

This is an extremely loose use of the word great. I'm home sick, smoked a bunch of weed this morning and threw Alligator on. The movie is campy as fuck. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is an extremely loose use of the word great. I'm home sick, smoked a bunch of weed this morning and threw Alligator on. The movie is campy as fuck. 

hah, sorry I didn't mean to mislead you. I love movies like that and Prophecy.  Hope you feel better.

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

hah, sorry I didn't mean to mislead you. I love movies like that and Prophecy.  Hope you feel better.

Hey, one of my favorite movies ever is The Descendants. It's cool seeing Forster in a younger role (even though he still looks kind of old, lol).

Lady of Heaven film protested in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jun/07/uk-cinema-chain-cancels-screenings-of-film-the-lady-of-heaven-after-protests

The Lady of Heaven is a 2021 British epic historical drama film directed by Eli King in his directorial debut and written by the radical Twelver Shia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_of_Heaven#:~:text=The Lady of Heaven is,of The Mahdi Servants Union.

The Lady of Heaven is a 2021 British epic historical drama film directed by Eli King in his directorial debut and written by the radical Twelver Shia Muslim cleric Yasser Al-Habib, the spiritual leader of The Mahdi Servants Union. Produced by Enlightened Kingdom, the film bills itself as the first movie on the life of the historical figure, Fatimah, during and after the era of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. In addition to 7th century Islamic history from the Twelver Shia perspective, the film attempts to link Islamic State in the 21st century and the origins of Islamic terrorism with historical figures revered in Sunni Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

The past week

Watched Stranger Things new season and I loved it. I am sure if I took notes I'd remember the parts that were slow or off track but I liked this a lot more than last season. Now I'll go to the Stranger Things thread and remember all that and be told it sucks!

Also watched the first couple episodes of The Boys and loved that even more. For some reason I like flawed "heroes" more than most. To me Homelander is more realistic than Superman. Going to have bad days, get mad, lose control sometimes. Obviously not the degree Homelander does, but it would happen.

Watched Ambulance on Peacock. It was slightly better than I thought from the previews, I expected garbage and this was an ok action movie. The one thing I found that kept taking me out of the movie was the obvious drone footage. It was like the movie was advertising just how much a drone can do on a film set. One scene they flipped two cars basically just so the drone could fly underneath one of them as they flipped to get a cool shot. And yes, it was cool shot, but you could feel it was staged and just seemed out of place.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

That was regarding Tokyo Vice, but I just saw a PR from HBO that they've renewed the show for a second season after all.

I'm happy to hear that. I love most things in Tokyo (city calls me) and Ken Watanabe sparks joy so I'm totally in.

Stacked week this week. As well as new episodes of Obi-Wan and the start of Ms. Marvel, we also have The Orville: New Horizons starting today and For All Mankind is back on Friday.

Liking more each episode the Netflix continuation-reboot of Borgen (2022), Season One, "The Power and the Glory", featuring Danish politician, Birgitte Nyborg, as in the previous seasons.  The previous seasons were quite popular here and the UK.

Perhaps what interests this viewer the most is how the Russians in this new Borgen series are already bad guys due to Ukraine, though obviously, when the series was being written and shot, the invasion hadn't happened yet, but Crimea hadn't left anyone's minds in Denmark. I see this awareness of Russia's intentions toward Ukraine, as well as what thugs they are everywhere, thus are made villains earlier in many television programs, particularly in British crime series.  Here also, in, for instance, the Amazon Prime Bosch.  Quite a change from the days of The American, where Russians protagonist spies here in the US are overtly working to destroy the US, were lauded as The Best Evah!  It's about family!   (But the Russians never evah fooled John le Carré.)  It's like tv understands some things better and faster than the 'news' media -- especially in the USA.

It's so interesting too, to see world events and issues from the perspective of another country that isn't either the USA or the UK.

Got around to watching the second season of Russian Doll. I don't think it's quite as good as the first season but that may have been an impossible mark to hit and it's still a thoroughly excellent show with great writing, visuals, and acting.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

Got around to watching the second season of Russian Doll. I don't think it's quite as good as the first season but that may have been an impossible mark to hit and it's still a thoroughly excellent show with great writing, visuals, and acting.

I lost interest in S2 after the second episode.  I’ve been waiting for someone to tell me it’s worth continuing, but no takers yet.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I lost interest in S2 after the second episode.  I’ve been waiting for someone to tell me it’s worth continuing, but no takers yet.

Since I have to stay home for the next few days, challenge accepted after the basketball game tonight.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Worth it. I liked season 2 a lot. 

-

Stranger Things Season 4 Vol 1: Brilliant. Damn them for ending it on a cliffhanger.

Is this the final season? This definitely has "this is the final season" vibes to me. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:51 PM, Tywin et al. said:

You can now stream The Northman on Peacock. :drool:

I have to say this was one of the most disappointing films I can recall in a long time. It looked great and the acting was pretty solid, but the overall story wasn't good and it just leaves you feeling miserable at the end. I cannot recommend it, sad as that is to say. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, Werthead said:

Stacked week this week. As well as new episodes of Obi-Wan and the start of Ms. Marvel, we also have The Orville: New Horizons starting today and For All Mankind is back on Friday.

I remember a time when summers were the slow period of the year for TV shows. Streaming changed that.

Archived