Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I finished the first season of Hanna and I am totally into it now. This type subject matter will almost always get to me, though. I have read some people having trouble with suspension of disbelief but I feel it's misplaced. Hanna is a comic book character or maybe a video game...her competence is not intended to be realistic. It's sci-fi at it's root I think. My issues with suspension of disbelief are more about the isolation certain characters experience growing up. Still, these are young characters and not normal people and so maybe they can adapt more quickly...is how I will rationalize it haha. Whatever the case, I am liking the show and will continue with season two tomorrow. Also, Esme Creed-Miles is good as Hanna and Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos are as good as they always are.

Reveal hidden contents

No one can play an almost Satanic CIA agent that is traumatized by her past actions like Mireille Enos. Here she is consistently sinister and sympathetic at the same time.

I'm surprised this show is still going. I love the movie so much so found it a real struggle to watch a tv show which took a far less creative and interesting take on the story. I'm sure it's more in depth but there so many amazing elements to that movie that it's kind of a shame it doesn't get talked about so much.

Like.. Cate Blanchett is really good, bleeding gums and all.
Tom HollandER (not to be confused) is really quite terrifying
My first introduction to Jessica Barden from The end of the f***ing world, and she is perfect in a small role

Also, the music is by the Chemical Brothers and its SO good.. a bit like when Daft Punk did the soundtrack to Tron Legacy.

So i'm curious as to whether the tv show is on the same level, my impression is that its more of a Bourne thing.

20 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I said it in my review this show is equally awful as it is entertaining. Absolutely it is boring and drawn out and just when I’m about to switch it off something interesting happens. Dunno if I’d recommend you continue because it’s such a horribly cynically made tv show, but it’s not always terrible 

I watched episode 2 and it was much better. Have started episode 3. We shall see. I have absolutely no issue with abandoning any show, film or book that annoys me, no matter how near the end it is. :) 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Guess he didn’t have much going on… :rofl:

Our best player is in it too. Can Edwards act at all? There's some funny quotes from the set, sounds like he wouldn't let JH dunk on him in a scene that required the shot. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Our best player is in it too. Can Edwards act at all? There's some funny quotes from the set, sounds like he wouldn't let JH dunk on him in a scene that required the shot. 

AE was the best part of the movie. I bet his "acting" was exactly how he is on the court. Really enjoyable movie though. Even Juancho who isn't the best actor was solid.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

AE was the best part of the movie. I bet his "acting" was exactly how he is on the court. Really enjoyable movie though. Even Juancho who isn't the best actor was solid.

Yeah, I was actually surprised to learn that they were all pros because Edwards was such a natural on camera. I'm sure you're right, though, that he just played himself... But so many people trying to  play themselves just get stilted and wooden. He sold it.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, I was actually surprised to learn that they were all pros because Edwards was such a natural on camera. I'm sure you're right, though, that he just played himself... But so many people trying to  play themselves just get stilted and wooden. He sold it.

It's not surprising given how charismatic he is in interviews/pressers. He's incredibly popular despite constantly saying things that normally put people off (he's the biggest bragger in the world, for example). I'll have to check this one out at some point.

On Everything, Everywhere: it's definitely a movie with a specific enough tone to it that I don't blame people for not vibing with it, but I don't understand complaints about incomprehensibility or nonsense. Like sure, it's nonsense in the sense that there's no real science and its rules are completely about what they need for the plot or want for the show, but as far as narrative goes, everything follows on quite nicely. It was one of the things both me and my brother noticed as we left the cinema- for all the noise and weirdness, the actual story is surprisingly simple and elegant beneath the show. 

It's not Tenet, is what I'm saying.

I watched the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I don’t like it. I’m not sure if I should keep going, I have very little investment and very little sense of nostalgia because I hadn’t watched it back in the day. I’m fully biased, per se, but Charmed is far superior as a supernatural female led late90/00s series. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I watched the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I don’t like it. I’m not sure if I should keep going, I have very little investment and very little sense of nostalgia because I hadn’t watched it back in the day. I’m fully biased, per se, but Charmed is far superior as a supernatural female led late90/00s series. 

I would say give the 2nd season a chance. The 1st season was rough and the show was trying to find its feet. If episodes 3 ("School Hard") and then episode 6 ("Halloween") don't do it for you, I probably wouldn't bother beyond that. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hustle was surprisingly enjoyable. Not sure why it's listed as a comedy, except for the end credits. I think half the players shown were collectively in the film for less than 30 seconds. 

It had all the right beats in a sports movie. Movies like this just need to stick to the formula and it normally lands for me.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

On Everything, Everywhere: it's definitely a movie with a specific enough tone to it that I don't blame people for not vibing with it, but I don't understand complaints about incomprehensibility or nonsense. Like sure, it's nonsense in the sense that there's no real science and its rules are completely about what they need for the plot or want for the show, but as far as narrative goes, everything follows on quite nicely. It was one of the things both me and my brother noticed as we left the cinema- for all the noise and weirdness, the actual story is surprisingly simple and elegant beneath the show. 

It's not Tenet, is what I'm saying.

We watched this with the 13 year old and they had zero problems understanding what was going on either. 

It's entirely reasonable to bounce off the show because the tone or theme isn't per taste, and I guess there were a couple things that don't quite make sense 

Spoiler

Joy and Evelyn being rocks violates one of the major rules about being able to merge with the brains of alternate versions. It was definitely cool and oddly sweet, and added a moment of quiet that was nice, but it doesn't quite fit. I can fanwank it by it being a product of the Everything Bagel, but it's still a bit weird. 

The movie is otherwise both remarkable in its internal consistency and remarkable in its ability to expand from those basic rules and extrapolate in an incredibly charming and great way. In that way it is very similar to the Matrix - establish rules, show how rules can be used, continue making more awesome things happen - and it's weird to think that people wouldn't be able to follow it. 

Thanks for the encouragement to stick with it @Ran I’m seriously impressed. Buffy wears trainers to train, pajamas to sleep, she has emotions and ptsd! There’s cause, effect, impact and growth. Insane improvement in one single episode. And it doesn’t stop. There’s emotional investment, conflict, motivation, stakes (beyond the wooden kind) and humor. Even Spike showed up finally. I had always been Team Spike - even without having watched the series. I remember keeping the Spike posters from Bravo magazine. All right, the nostalgia did kick in after all. 

5 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

We watched this with the 13 year old and they had zero problems understanding what was going on either. 

It's entirely reasonable to bounce off the show because the tone or theme isn't per taste, and I guess there were a couple things that don't quite make sense 

Hide contents

Joy and Evelyn being rocks violates one of the major rules about being able to merge with the brains of alternate versions. It was definitely cool and oddly sweet, and added a moment of quiet that was nice, but it doesn't quite fit. I can fanwank it by it being a product of the Everything Bagel, but it's still a bit weird. 

I mean it's definitely fair to say that at times the film just goes 'fuck it it's funnier/cooler this way' 

Spoiler

- like, Jobu Tupaki's whole powerset doesn't really fit with the 'brain jumping' thing, what with her- and Evelyn at the end- being able to just bring things from alternate universes into the one they're in

but it never does it in a way that derails the premise or is confusing to follow. 

It's not like - to shit on Nolan again- Inception which set up a whole bunch of very rigid, very specific rules and then broke basically all of them in the finale. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's not like - to shit on Nolan again-

Hey, look, you're using an entirely different movie to shit on Nolan again.  Twice.  Some people would call this a preschool crush.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's not like - to shit on Nolan again- Inception which set up a whole bunch of very rigid, very specific rules and then broke basically all of them in the finale. 

Remind me?

I really need to watch that nearly unwatchable entropy time travel movie of his again. I hated it so much I have a feeling it's actually amazing?

Archived