Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Remind me?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of DMC, and running a bit from memory and summaries:

Spoiler

Throughout the film, we're told that kicks are involuntary- the feeling of falling when falling asleep to jerk you awake. It's also established that you set the kick up on the level below you, iirc- ie the level you need to wake into. But in the climax, there's at least one occasion (the explosion in the fortress) where they're kicking from the level they're in, and also they 'miss a kick', somewhat defeating the whole object of the concept. 

Also the principle that time runs really fast in Limbo and you age is set up, but at the end, while Saito does age, Fischer and Cobb don't - and while Cobb could be explained by him being aware of it now, Fischer doesn't know what it is or realise at that stage that he's dreaming. 

39 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hey, look, you're using an entirely different movie to shit on Nolan again.  Twice.  Some people would call this a preschool crush.

Why does it annoy you so much that I don't like all of Nolan's films? 

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Why does it annoy you so much that I don't like all of Nolan's films? 

More like it amuses me how much you take every opportunity to shit on his films, and this was yet another example of that.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd argue the only truly good movie he's made since Inception has been Dunkirk. 

I mean that narrows it down to two films.  I haven't even seen Tenet because, yeah, even if it isn't as bad as everyone says the premise is still him beating a dead horse.  As for Interstellar, I understand people don't like it, and I wasn't thrilled at first either, but it's grown on me.

ETA:  Oh, shit, three films counting Dark Knight Rises.  Forgot that came out after Inception, it's been awhile.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

More like it amuses me how much you take every opportunity to shit on his films, and this was yet another example of that.

:dunno: He's really high profile and does things that gripe me. It's not that surprising he comes up now and again when I'm talking about SF or superheroes.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I haven't even seen Tenet because, yeah, even if it isn't as bad as everyone says the premise is still him beating a dead horse.

For what it's worth it wasn't bad moment to moment, I enjoyed watching most of the sequences. My drug addled brain just couldn't quite understand how those sequences fit together in a way that made sense. Also the sound design is objectively bad. You should be able to hear dialogue.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

:dunno: He's really high profile and does things that gripe me. It's not that surprising he comes up now and again when I'm talking about SF or superheroes.

Fair enough.  You have every right to whine about Nolan, just as I have every right to whine about you unjustifiably whining about his films.

Just now, RumHam said:

Also the sound design is objectively bad. You should be able to hear dialogue.

I don't understand why he's so bad at this, but at this point it's clearly intentional.  Anyway thanks for you take.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean that narrows it down to two films.  I haven't even seen Tenet because, yeah, even if it isn't as bad as everyone says the premise is still him beating a dead horse.  As for Interstellar, I understand people don't like it, and I wasn't thrilled at first either, but it's grown on me.

ETA:  Oh, shit, three films counting Dark Knight Rises.  Forgot that came out after Inception, it's been awhile.

DKR has a hilarious character in Bane, but the film isn't good. Interstellar was an interesting premise, but ultimately underwhelming and I have no interest in revisiting it. I turned Tenet off after 10-15 minutes, which I typically never do, because I could tell I was going to hate it for reasons people were loudly complaining about. And I don't even like Dunkirk as much as others, but it's still a quality film. I just don't think the second half of his career is anywhere close to what his first half was. He's still talented and I'm curious to see Oppenheimer, but for the love of god I hope he's been forced to work with some people who will check him when he's wrong. I don't even understand how he's gotten away with the terrible sound editing for so long. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just don't think the second half of his career is anywhere close to what his first half was.

Well, four of eleven isn't half (and even if we're not counting Following it's still forty percent), plus one of those four you said you liked -- and I think Dunkirk is easily one of his best films, and one of the best war movies ever.  DKR wasn't as good as even Batman Begins but it was still, comparatively, a very good superhero flick with a horrible second act.  If Interstellar wasn't for you I understand but like I said I definitely wouldn't call it bad film.  Flawed, sure, but still very clearly a good movie in my book - and certainly better than Insomnia.  Which basically means you're just talking about Tenet.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, four of eleven isn't half (and even if we're not counting Following it's still forty percent), plus one of those four you said you liked -- and I think Dunkirk is easily one of his best films, and one of the best war movies ever.  DKR wasn't as good as even Batman Begins but it was still, comparatively, a very good superhero flick with a horrible second act.  If Interstellar wasn't for you I understand but like I said I definitely wouldn't call it bad film.  Flawed, sure, but still very clearly a good movie in my book - and certainly better than Insomnia.  Which basically means you're just talking about Tenet.

Fine, last third has not matched the previous two. And a couple is three :P. Unlike Interstellar, Dunkirk is a movie I need to watch again. My takeaway was that it was shot gorgeously in every way possible, but I thought the story wasn't as strong as other war films I'd have in my personal top 5. That said IIRC I was kind of tired when I watched it and had a few beers so maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. As for DKR, I just have to disagree. BB is for me one of the three best Batman movies whereas DKR is just something in the middle. Better than the bad 90's films, but some of the animated Batman movies are better than it. There's just so much stupid shit that happens throughout that not even Hardy's excellent Bane could save. I've watched it a handful of times so clearly I don't hate it, but I cannot call it a good movie. 

Is Insomnia worth checking out? I think that's the only film of Nolan's I haven't seen other than the aforementioned Tenet which I don't think I'll ever get around to.  

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fine, last third has not matched the previous two. And a couple is three :P.

:) 

Unlike Interstellar, Dunkirk is a movie I need to watch again. My takeaway was that it was shot gorgeously in every way possible, but I thought the story wasn't as strong as other war films I'd have in my personal top 5.

Well, no, there isn't much of a plot at all.  That's kind of the point.  But it's one of the few movies that can only be truly appreciated seeing in theaters.

As for DKR, I just have to disagree. BB is for me one of the three best Batman movies whereas DKR is just something in the middle. Better than the bad 90's films, but some of the animated Batman movies are better than it.

Meh, I haven't seen any of the animated shit other than Killing Joke.  DKR is definitely better than that for me, and certainly better than any live-action Batman other than Burton's and Nolan's own previous two efforts (which is also why I consider the context and kinda give him a pass - he, his brother, and Goyer clearly conceived the movie so he could extricate himself from the franchise).  As for Burton's two, I'd still say DKR is a better movie than either but it's marginal.

As for Interstellar, I think my biggest problem with it was and remains the two leads.  McConaughey is alright in small doses but not in that role.  And while I'm generally fine with Hathaway, she either wasn't right for that role or phoned it in.

Finally, when it comes to Insomnia I can't really give advice.  I've never seen it all the way through as the couple times I tried I was bored to tears.  Ironically, great cure for insomnia!

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, no, there isn't much of a plot at all.  That's kind of the point.  But it's one of the few movies that can only be truly appreciated seeing in theaters.

Totally fair. I'd love to see it in a theater.

Meh, I haven't seen any of the animated shit other than Killing Joke.  DKR is definitely better than that for me, and certainly better than any live-action Batman other than Burton's and Nolan's own previous two efforts (which is also why I consider the context and kinda give him a pass - he, his brother, and Goyer clearly conceived the movie so he could extricate himself from the franchise).  As for Burton's two, I'd still say DKR is a better movie than either but it's marginal.

I would recommend The Long Halloween, which is on HBO. One of my step-brothers recently got me into the comics and that is regarded by many as the best story. It's two parts and a pretty good retelling of the story.

Also, have you not seen The Batman? I've got that above DKR and the two Burton films, which is why I said it's in the middle for me.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would recommend The Long Halloween, which is on HBO. One of my step-brothers recently got me into the comics and that is regarded by many as the best story.

My brother has recommended that to me as well.  I got a lot on the to watch queue...

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, have you not seen The Batman? I've got that above DKR and the two Burton films, which is why I said it's in the middle for me.

I have, and while I'm not gonna argue with anyone that says it's on the same level as Burton's or DKR (and I'm pretty sure I said exactly that on here when it came out), it's not for me.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Fair enough.  You have every right to whine about Nolan, just as I have every right to whine about you unjustifiably whining about his films.

Well, since I'm whining justifiably, I guess we're good. :P

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd argue the only truly good movie he's made since Inception has been Dunkirk. 

Interstellar is kind of a mess in many ways, but I do like that one. And the 'no time for caution' scene is so good it makes up for a lot. TDKR frustrated me because it isn't far from being a really good movie, and has a lot of really good individual scenes and moments, but it made some choices at the end that really just got on my tits.

Tenet is the only really bad one he's made, though. 

I've always loved TDKR because I feel like it gets the balance right of serious realism and comic book silliness. I really enjoyed the tone of it, and Tom Hardy is such an enjoyable Bane. The Dark Knight is clearly the better movie, but I also find it a less enjoyable one, mainly because I feel like the second half is a bit of a let down. Batman Begins feels like a trial run for the trilogy where Nolan is finding his feet, with some good bits but also its overall plot and last third again are kinda weak.

Either way, I'm still annoyed at Tenet on an almost daily basis. This movie pops into my head all the time, and it only serves to irritate me at the lack of consideration Nolan had for his audience when making it. 

I do hope he goes back to making good movies.

Archived